The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

FWIW I heard third hand (but no real reason to doubt it) that Turner chose Ross County over an English league 2 club who had offered him (even) more money as he wanted to play in the Scottish Premiership rather than English 4th tier 

I would 100% believe this we've lost out to League 2 clubs when we were paying higher wages than we are now.

5 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

They did more than miss penalties, thats an easy way to not criticise.

They have been poor and docherty was missing all play off games. People mistake the odd bit of good off ball play as making them a good player. If he was any good he would be off to a premier league team, where he would get worked out in seconds.

Bannigan sadly is just passed it, not his fault as age comes to us all. Totally bottled it, shame but fact.

I don't think Bannigan is past it tbh. He did have an absolute horror show in Dingwall with skying his chance near the end and the missed penalty, but these things happen to players. There wasn't anyone I was hoping to score their penalty more than him, he looked absolutely devastated. 

I feel Banzo just 'gets' Partick Thistle. He's been here for years and given a lot to the club. He's solid enough for the Championship and I feel we could do a lot worse than him.

People every now and then for about the past 5 years (usually after a bad result) have hit out with Bannigan is “finished” or “past it” and we should get rid. Despite this, several managers have given him contracts, they’ve started him almost every game he’s been fit, he’s won a POTY award in that time, inducted into the Hall of Fame and currently undergoing testimonial events at the club. 

There’s no doubt he was gash in Dingwall, more disappointing than his penalty miss was actually the sitter in ET, that stand would’ve went crazy if he’d scored the goal to take us up. But over the course of the season he was generally quite solid, if unspectacular. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

With any 35 year old there is always the prospect of a sharp decline but it does feel like he'll be able to contribute at least off the bench for the next 2 years, not as if his game has ever been around pace anyway.

Agreed.  I don’t think we have anyone else with as much of an instinct for goal as him (except the guy standing in the technical area, and maybe if we don’t sign anyone else we might see him too!)

BBG brings a lot more to the table than 20 odd goals a season.His very presence up front is enough to unnerve and wind up most Championship defences and create space/opportunities for others if he’s not tapping it home himself .His management of Ladies Team has been inspirational and he always has time to stop and have a chat when able ……...just hoping he doesn’t mellow with age as we need that edge !.

Seen who we are keeping hold of. We will see what ambition thistle has by who we bring in.

Personally would love to poach someone like Dom thomas.

Though ive got a feeling the average age will be 19 next year and thats with bannigan and graham on the pitch.

Amazing we are talkung about our financial difficulty when we are 250k in debt. I would squirm at some other football clubs debt.

7 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Would that not mean we would have to pay a fee for them ?

would depend on who they are surely. If they’re players clubs are happy to let leave (after a few weeks of pre season), then it would probably be a nominal fee. 

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Sounds like we’ve offered contacts to some other under contract players and are in for players who currently are contracted elsewhere.

Spending money you don't have again? Tut tut!...

In his latest (10 min.) interview on the PTFC site, manager Kris Doolan once more gave an articulate, convincing account of himself, this time summarising the current ‘state of play’ (pun intended) at the club, regarding signings, pre-season training etc etc. Looking relaxed and happy, he always sounds as if he knows what he’s talking about and is an excellent communicator, with a calm, controlled way of putting across his ideas and opinions. 

I could listen to Kris Doolan speak all day long. Composed and convincing. He’s everything that Ian McCall isn’t in terms of his media interaction (and tactically as well, but we’ve covered that one already).

Hoping we can see some fresh signings next week, which from that interview sounds likely. It’s also going to be payday for many folk during the week which will hopefully see us smash through the 2k season tickets barrier and give Doolan some extra funds to play with.

Noticed the pink badge on Doolan's top, think that gives some credence to the black and pink or grey and pink away top. Ayr have moved to O Neills as well and have a pink and black away shirt. 

Assume the offers to players under contract are loan offers rather than openly admitting to tapping players up. 

Doolan is perhaps a bit naive and optimistic but strikes a balance between McCall's bullshit and bluster and Archibald's "well we've made offers but people don't want to sign for us" wrist slitting interviews.