The Partick Thistle thread

18 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Don’t necessarily disagree but I don’t see it happening. I think we’ll go with the 3 + Jack who can cover, unless anyone gets a major injury before the window shuts and forces our hand. Suppose there’s still one more loan place that we could use though.

It’s only one more from a Scottish club I think - if we were getting a loan from down south (or basically anywhere not Scottish) then we can get as many as we want. Which is a possibility, I’d imagine. 

5 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

kinda agree but I reckon we'd be more likely to have Milne as an emergency CB. Still comfortable on the ball and can head the ball pretty far, plus doesn't disrupt the Lawless/McMillan partnership down the right that works well for getting us into the opposition penalty area a lot of the time.

Given that McMillan has played at centre back for us before, I would say it’s much more likely to be him asked to cover. As much as I like Milne, I think he’s not as disciplined defensively as McMillan is, and would get caught out as centre half through that.

43 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Don’t necessarily disagree but I don’t see it happening. I think we’ll go with the 3 + Jack who can cover, unless anyone gets a major injury before the window shuts and forces our hand. Suppose there’s still one more loan place that we could use though.

I would ordinarily agree with doing this but I think McMillan is just too good as an offensive wing back to waste him at centre half. Especially with his great understanding with Lawless down the right.

9 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Did he have many injuries at Cove ? I think he only had the one spell missing for us at the end of the season.

He had a couple of lengthy spells out at Cove and think he was one of the ones out for Thistle during that horrible spell round about that Aberdeen cup game where half the first team got crocked.

5 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

and think he was one of the ones out for Thistle during that horrible spell round about that Aberdeen cup game where half the first team got crocked.

He wasn’t. From memory, Holt, Docherty and Tiffoney were out then (and maybe another one?) but Milne played every game. 

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He wasn’t. From memory, Holt, Docherty and Tiffoney were out then (and maybe another one?) but Milne played every game. 

Yep, Milne did start against Aberdeen. So did Holt, Docherty and Tiffoney actually, although Holt took a bad knock in that game and was missing for a bit after it.

You’re right that Milne played most of the season up until his injury near the end. He made 28 league appearances - and of the 8 games he missed, 7 of them were in his injured spell at the end of the season.

I’m really happy Milnes signed on for a year, but am I the only person that thinks he’s pretty terrible defensively? Maybe I’m over reacting because he’s been out for so long and is obviously just getting match sharpness back.

What he brings to the team obviously excuses it but, I’m just wondering if I’m the only person that thinks it.

39 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

I’m really happy Milnes signed on for a year, but am I the only person that thinks he’s pretty terrible defensively? Maybe I’m over reacting because he’s been out for so long and is obviously just getting match sharpness back.

What he brings to the team obviously excuses it but, I’m just wondering if I’m the only person that thinks it.

Yes, you are. He’s better going forward than he is defensively, but under no circumstances could he be described as terrible. 

1 hour ago, Thistle4eva said:

He does get caught occasonally at the back but overall he is probably one of the best at our level. 

1 hour ago, Thistle4eva said:

Milne is damned near perfect, isnt he?

McDonald should be a decent winger for you too, based on this.

partick.thumb.png.be9ea963b9bd0523415671bc454eb7d4.png

14 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Yes, you are. He’s better going forward than he is defensively, but under no circumstances could he be described as terrible. 

Terrible is probably over top, just the last few games he’s been caught out regularly.

12 hours ago, chattyman said:

Rule of thumb never trust stats, they only tell part of a story.

Well that’s obvious, but when you combine @RandomGuy. chart with the fact that a large majority of people who have actually watched Harry Milne class him as the best full back at whatever level he’s been at, there’s probably something in it. 

17 hours ago, Thistle4eva said:

If you think Milne is terrible defensively, I can only assume you've never watched literally any other full back in this division try to defend. 

sigh. had a feeling this season was going to be tricky what with losing holt, turner, docherty and tiffoney, but its frustrating that we've started so badly. Chucking away two leads in a row in the league is alarming.

Still willing to cut Doolan some slack, but its feeling like we're not going to get any wins in August which is... kinda shite.