The Partick Thistle thread

Squad under contract for next season

Stewart*

MacKenzie Williams O'Reilly Milne

Stanway Bannigan

Lawless Robinson Fitzpatrick

Graham

* if we take up option

Also under contract : McCready , Lyon, McBeth, and the modern apprentices (Diack, Stevenson, Taggart, Turay)

Out of contract: Sneddon, Mitchell, McMillan, Muirhead, Alston

Loan returns: Neilson, McInroy, Ngwenya, Adeloye

Realistically we're only keeping McMillan in the unlikely event we go up, he'd be an upgrade for the two sides ahead of us in the league and probably a few Premiership sides as well.

Apart from that and the keeper situation there's a huge element of stability.

You can look at this as a positive as it reduces uncertainty for next season or the flip side would be we've committed to a lot of players who may not be good enough to achieve promotion. I'll go with the positive angle (for now)

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Squad under contract for next season

Stewart*

MacKenzie Williams O'Reilly Milne

Stanway Bannigan

Lawless Robinson Fitzpatrick

Graham

* if we take up option

Also under contract : McCready , Lyon, McBeth, and the modern apprentices (Diack, Stevenson, Taggart, Turay)

Out of contract: Sneddon, Mitchell, McMillan, Muirhead, Alston

Loan returns: Neilson, McInroy, Ngwenya, Adeloye

Realistically we're only keeping McMillan in the unlikely event we go up, he'd be an upgrade for the two sides ahead of us in the league and probably a few Premiership sides as well.

Apart from that and the keeper situation there's a huge element of stability.

You can look at this as a positive as it reduces uncertainty for next season or the flip side would be we've committed to a lot of players who may not be good enough to achieve promotion. I'll go with the positive angle (for now)

Been mentioned several times on forums that if Muirhead plays another 5 games he triggers an extension on his contract 

4 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Should we be trying to sign McInroy or Adeloye? Or both?

Graham surely not got another full season in his legs after this season.

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

We should definitely try to sign McInroy at least. I also wouldn’t be too bothered if we kept Muirhead, on the proviso that he is actually squad cover this time. 

I think McInroy has been okay but in some games has been a bit of a passenger.  I would hope we could get better.

6 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I think McInroy has been okay but in some games has been a bit of a passenger.  I would hope we could get better.

He’s been inconsistent at times, but when he’s on it he’s been sensational. I’d absolutely bring him in permanently if we can.

Still only 23 as well. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Yeah I think we'll look to try and keep McInroy permanently, especially as Robinson can't be relied upon to avoid injury for more than ten minutes. Would imagine every FT club in this league will be in for him as well.

I'd be OK with Muirhead as 4th choice centre half but no more. Alston has done OK but think we can do better and certainly both keepers can go.

Adeloye has been unlucky to a degree in that Graham has been in good form and not got injured, and when Graham did get his guaranteed suspension that was the one time Adeloye was injured. Of course there's still plenty more time for daft red cards starting with Saturday's opponents. However I think Adeloye has only really impressed in games we've been winning when he's come on, I don't ever recall him changing a game we've been drawing or losing (he started the game where he scored vs QP at Hampden alongside Graham). Either way I don't see him being here next season.

Hard to see how James Lyon makes the cut as well even if under contract, coming up on 3 years since he made his first team debut and after a brief spell at the start of this season he's fallen out the picture again. Maybe if he gets a loan in this window and shows something, I don't know.

Edited by Fuctifano

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What’s Turner like then, guys?

He’s better than Sam Stanton.

His first season with us, he was a bit of a peripheral figure to be honest - he got a shitload of assists, but almost entirely from set pieces, and he didn’t really seem to influence the game from open play often enough.

Second season though, he was sensational. I think he ended up setting up nearly 15 goals for us, and scored 6 himself. Defensively, he’s not brilliant but he’s not a liability either and he’s probably more willing to scrap in there than someone like Dylan Easton for example.

I think it’s an excellent signing. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

7 minutes ago, Enigma said:

What’s Turner like then, guys?

Better offensively than defensively but a really good footballer tbh. Bit surprising that it hasn’t worked out for him at County so far.

Edited by JagsCG

Turner is obviously very good for this level, his set pieces are almost worth playing him for on their own. As someone else said on the Raith thread he's better than what we have but we've got so many in that position the budget is best spent elsewhere. 

Assume we're still looking for a winger but don't see much else in the way of incoming players for January. Would like to see Lyon and Mackenzie go out on loan but with the 9 subs on the bench they might well be kept around. 

Courier saying we're going to offer Jack McMillan a PCA although they also say we're not desperate to get him in this window as we've other priorities.

What's he like? We've currently been playing Jordan McGhee there and he's never a RB. We've got Cammy Kerr, who is brutal and Tyler French who used to be amazing for us but hasn't impressed at Morton since recovering from injury. What's his style so to speak?

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Courier saying we're going to offer Jack McMillan a PCA although they also say we're not desperate to get him in this window as we've other priorities.

What's he like? We've currently been playing Jordan McGhee there and he's never a RB. We've got Cammy Kerr, who is brutal and Tyler French who used to be amazing for us but hasn't impressed at Morton since recovering from injury. What's his style so to speak?

He's the best RB in this league imo. There are no real weaknesses in his game - he's reliable defensively because he's strong, has decent pace, is good in the air and can tackle, but he also gets up and down the pitch and chips in with goals & assists as well. I think he'd make the step up quite comfortably.

I didn't expect us to even have him this season after his amazing form in the second half of last year. Not surprised at all if he makes the step up this time.

Edited by Nightmare

We won’t be able to replace him with better, but he deserves a crack at the Premiership again so fair play if he does go at the end of the season.

I’d say watch his goal against Ayr in the 3-0 home playoff last season for the archetypal bit of Jack McMillan play. 

35 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I would say he is arguably the second best full back/wing back I've ever seen play for Thistle, and probably the most well-rounded. O'Donnell was better going forward and offered more pace but they're much of a muchness defensively and O'Donnell was less reliable.

More than capable of making the step up. Has goals in his locker, and will work very well in any system where he is well supported by attacking wingers.