The Partick Thistle thread

55 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If clash is an issue why is the women national cup final to move, not the men regular league game?

Why can't your players get time off for a national final - part-time/am men clubs don't just play Saturdays? (EDIT: indeed exactly the same scenario applies in reverse to the Challenge Cup whose final is invariably on a Sunday and most finals at non-league and amateur level are Friday or Sunday).

Women’s teams regularly play on a Sunday, which I assume has become a thing to prevent as much of a clash with men’s football. Men’s football primarily occurs on a Saturday, save games being moved for TV or due to European commitments, so it makes sense that women’s football in this country have tried to occupy the Sunday slots instead.

The situation appears to be that the SWPL have arranged a game at a time which clashes with a card of men’s SPFL fixtures, because they’ve deviated away from their usual time slot for games. You can be as obtuse as you like about it, but that’s on the organisers of the Cup Final, and not on the SPFL or the clubs involved.

13 minutes ago, velo army said:

What? 

If Alloa or Arbroath get to the Challenge Cup final is there a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth because wives and partners have to rearrange their lives for a day?

As I said, there's absolutely no way that these lassies will be unable to get time off from their Saturday jobs. It's a pile of nonsense for BBG to bring that up. 

It's mildly unfortunate, but no more than that. Arbroath won't agree to play on the Friday as they've already lost out on a decent away crowd (I think) by having their match with Dundee Utd rearranged on pretty spurious grounds.

Graham is playing mind games, creating a siege mentality and persecution complex around the team which is honestly fair play as they need every advantage they can create against whichever cheek they play, but we shouldn't get sucked into it.

It could be taken out of Arbroath’s hands if the BBC selected Arbroath v Thistle as a Friday night game that week.

However, seeing as Scotland are playing on the Friday night this seems unlikely.

23 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

The issue of the availbility of our manager, players, backroom staff and media team is a significant one to us. Personally I would be devestated after having contributed so much to the development of Partick Thistle WFC if Brian wasn't able to lead his players out at the Cup Final in March. 

There is a wider issue though. 

There were over 600 at the semi-final on Sunday, with just under 100 Hibs fans, for a fixture played during a weather warning. 

When we reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup a couple of seasons back the two games were played back to back on the same Sunday afternoon at the Falkirk Stadium. The four competiting teams were Hearts, Celtic, Glasgow City and Partick Thistle. Of the four the team with the biggest support was Thistle, and significantly bigger. 

Interest in PTWFC has never been greater. If no clash then it would be a major shock if there wasn't a big Thistle support at the Final at Tynecastle.

A big, noisy Thistle support at the Sky Sports Cup Final would greatly enhance a showcase event for the women's game in Scotland played live on TV. A sparsely filled Thistle section would not.  It would devalue the spectacle. That does the women's game in Scotland no good at all. 

When the SWPL confirmed the venue for the Final as being Tynecastle back in November they listed the date as either Saturday March 23rd OR Sunday March 24th. 

Moving this game to the Sunday, the traditional day for football in the women's game in Scotland, would maximise attendance and enhance the overall occasion. I'm, cautiously, optmistic that with all stakeholders working together that there will be a satisfactory resolution to this issue. 

Why wouldn't a big Thistle support attend the game on a Saturday? Surely a women's cup final is more important than a run of the mill Championship game?

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why wouldn't a big Thistle support attend the game on a Saturday? Surely a women's cup final is more important than a run of the mill Championship game?

Well that would be a choice that each individual would need to make. I'll be at the Cup Final irrespective of date as that is more important to me. Others may be different.  

The point that you've either missed, or chosen to miss, is that if there is no clash then nobody has to make the choice between the two games thus maximising the attendance at both games. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I think you know the answer to that.

Regardless of the size of our core support compared to other “bigger” clubs, fans should be able to attend both games if they want. And I suspect that many would if it was an option.

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Women’s teams regularly play on a Sunday, which I assume has become a thing to prevent as much of a clash with men’s football. Men’s football primarily occurs on a Saturday, save games being moved for TV or due to European commitments, so it makes sense that women’s football in this country have tried to occupy the Sunday slots instead.

The situation appears to be that the SWPL have arranged a game at a time which clashes with a card of men’s SPFL fixtures, because they’ve deviated away from their usual time slot for games. You can be as obtuse as you like about it, but that’s on the organisers of the Cup Final, and not on the SPFL or the clubs involved.

Seems strange to announce Saturday for the final if Sunday is the normal day for woman's games. Could it be for the Sky scheduling if no EPL that weekend?

Ahead of their big Scottish Cup Quarter Final tie on Friday, we're delighted to present our latest permanent pages to the Thistle Archive, profiling the main Partick Thistle youth team, per below. We'd like to do more for all of the teams who represent Partick Thistle, but time and data constraints dictate that it's not possible to compile all of the historical season-by-season lists. As far as our youth teams go, we've at least made the effort to list full results for our top level youth team for the latest two seasons, as well as their full results history for the Scottish Youth Cup (1985 to date) and the short-lived SFL Youth Cup (2006 to 2010). With special thanks to the players, coaches and parents who got in touch to help complete the goals data!

2023-24 (Youth - Under 18s) →
- The eleventh season of the Thistle Weir Youth Academy with results, line-ups and scorers. The page includes a 'Goalscorers' tab…

2022-23 (Youth - Under 18s) →
- The tenth season of the Thistle Weir Youth Academy with results, some line-ups and all scorers. The page includes tabs for 'Goalscorers' and 'CAS Performance U-18s League Table'…

Partick Thistle in the Scottish Youth Cup →
- The Scottish Youth Cup is run by the SFA and usually played by the U-18 age groups. Thistle have entered in 36 out of 40 seasons since inception in 1983-84, and the complete results history is listed here…

Partick Thistle in the SFL Youth Cup →
- The SFL Youth Cup was ran by the Scottish Football League for a dozen or so seasons, from the early 2000s, and there were competitions for a few different age groups. As far as the top level (U-19) goes, we know of Thistle's participation in at least three different seasons, as profiled here…

Match Lists (Youth) →
- a brand new sub-menu page focused on the 4 new youth pages at-a-glance…

p.s. if anyone can source a better league table for 2022-23 please do get in touch →

youth.png

There is a solution to the scheduling issue of the women's team final. They could make it the Saturday night with say a 7.30pm ko? OK Ross would need to do the pre match and warm up but that would (in theory) allow BBG to play and get to Tynecastle for ko. And fans could do both? I accept this is extra cost as they would need supporters buses to stay out longer and extra fee for this but it's less than 2 hours from Arbroath to Tynecastle so as long as traffic was OK and the buses left by 5.15pm then it's perfectly doable and means fans can attend both games 

There are legitimate reasons for wanting the game moved, or the Arbroath one shifted, but BBG being unavailable isn't one. We have Adeloye and Ricco who could easily start. I appreciate BBG is captain and first choice striker, but it's an exceptional occasion. Our season (fingers crossed) won't live or die by what striker we play at Gayfield.

I do hope a solution is found that maximises the Jags support, but if not, then the persecution /siege mentality of the players will up their motivation I imagine.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

What? 

If Alloa or Arbroath get to the Challenge Cup final is there a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth because wives and partners have to rearrange their lives for a day?

As I said, there's absolutely no way that these lassies will be unable to get time off from their Saturday jobs. It's a pile of nonsense for BBG to bring that up. 

It's mildly unfortunate, but no more than that. Arbroath won't agree to play on the Friday as they've already lost out on a decent away crowd (I think) by having their match with Dundee Utd rearranged on pretty spurious grounds.

Graham is playing mind games, creating a siege mentality and persecution complex around the team which is honestly fair play as they need every advantage they can create against whichever cheek they play, but we shouldn't get sucked into it.

Ok - I guess that’s fair enough.

6 hours ago, velo army said:

I think people are taking too much of what BBG says at face value. He's a performative outrage generator at the best of times, which is why opposition fans hate him (and we don't).

When he came out with that pish about lassies with work commitments my first thought was that there must be very few jobs they won't be able to book a day off two months in advance. Even if there's a few coppers or trauma surgeons in there.

It's a load of hot air and makes us and the women's game look decidedly tinpot.

Extremely harsh to say Brian Graham is making the women’s game look tinpot by commenting on a scheduling clash that will affect him (and our fans), and a timing issue that could affect a number of his players. The same issues have been raised by others involved in the women’s team, unless you think they’re all ‘performative outrage generators’ as well?

I agree that Brian’s availability is a rather minor issue. He obviously should be prioritising the cup final, but the fact that fans might have to choose between watching their men’s side or their women’s team in a cup final is ridiculous. That arguably makes the game look tinpot, and actually does a disservice to the SWPL Cup Final when it could (and should) maximise support by putting it on at a time when there is no clash with another football match/ the exact reason why women’s games tend to be played on Sunday’s in the first place.

On 18/01/2024 at 09:39, DazzJag said:

Killie fan in the work saying that they've got an injury crisis in midfield and the rumour is that McInroy could be recalled. Although I don't think we've scratched the surface of the player he can be as he's not had a run in the number 10 where hes probably most influential, I'd be sad to see him go

Assume this tweet means Killie can no longer recall him 

38 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Extremely harsh to say Brian Graham is making the women’s game look tinpot by commenting on a scheduling clash that will affect him (and our fans), and a timing issue that could affect a number of his players. The same issues have been raised by others involved in the women’s team, unless you think they’re all ‘performative outrage generators’ as well?

I agree that Brian’s availability is a rather minor issue. He obviously should be prioritising the cup final, but the fact that fans might have to choose between watching their men’s side or their women’s team in a cup final is ridiculous. That arguably makes the game look tinpot, and actually does a disservice to the SWPL Cup Final when it could (and should) maximise support by putting it on at a time when there is no clash with another football match/ the exact reason why women’s games tend to be played on Sunday’s in the first place.

Aye I've said a bit later that there are legitimate grievances but saying that the players would somehow have to miss the game due to work commitments isn't one of them.

This is obviously a sore point putting the fixtures against each other,  but I can't think of what else they could have done for this. Do they have it on another weekend? What if the men's team had made it to the challenge cup final which I think is the Sunday? 

I don't envy the football authorities tbh. I'm hearing a lot of folk being annoyed without offering any sensible alternatives.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye I've said a bit later that there are legitimate grievances but saying that the players would somehow have to miss the game due to work commitments isn't one of them.

This is obviously a sore point putting the fixtures against each other,  but I can't think of what else they could have done for this. Do they have it on another weekend? What if the men's team had made it to the challenge cup final which I think is the Sunday? 

I don't envy the football authorities tbh. I'm hearing a lot of folk being annoyed without offering any sensible alternatives.

They can obviously reschedule. They were going to reschedule the playoff final if Inverness had got there, as it was the day after the Scottish cup final. They can be flexible when they want to be.

Just now, jagsfan57 said:

They can obviously reschedule. They were going to reschedule the playoff final if Inverness had got there, as it was the day after the Scottish cup final. They can be flexible when they want to be.

The playoff final is in June and there's room for manoeuvre. When would they play the Women's final? If there is a solution then great, but I'm not hearing one. Perhaps the following Sunday? But where? 

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

But the decision to play on the Saturday was only made mid-December, after we had been knocked out of the Challenge cup. Prior to that, the final was scheduled for Saturday or Sunday. At the time of the decision, the semi-finalists were known and it was clear that there was a realistic clash between the final and the same club's mens team if played on the Saturday, with no such clash (for any of the remaining participants) if played on the Sunday.

By leaving the decision as to which day of the weekend to play the final so late, it should have been simple to avoid any such clash. I really don't see why you can't think of what else they could have done for this.

30 minutes ago, velo army said:

When Tynecastle was announced as the venue when the semi-finals were drawn in mid November the date given was March 23rd OR March 24th. 

Staging the game on the second of those dates, the traditional day for women's football in Scotland, which will maximise attendance seems significantly more 'sensible' than playing it in direct competition to one of the participants Men's team. 

IMO the date should have been left as tbc until the two finalists were confirmed and then the most suitable date and kick-off time could be set. 

The potential clash would still be a huge issue even if Brian Graham wasn't the PTWFC manager. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

The playoff final is in June and there's room for manoeuvre. When would they play the Women's final? If there is a solution then great, but I'm not hearing one. Perhaps the following Sunday? But where? 

What’s wrong with Sunday 24th March ?