The Partick Thistle thread

Cerny

O'Donnell - Paterson - Lindsay - Archibald

Lawless - Erskine - Bannigan - Higginbotham

Graham - Doolan

My team feels very biased towards the promotion & top flight run of 12/13 to 17/18, with only Shaggy, Archie and Graham not featuring for us in that timeframe. I did love the 01/02 promotion team, but that felt more of a group of guys who came in on a short term basis and did a great job for a couple of years, in contrast to the prolonged success of the latter Premiership team.

I wouldn't normally have gone with a 4-4-2, but no way I was leaving out Graham or Doolan. Graham the rare exception on the list here in that he never played for us in the top flight.

I've also probably missed someone incredibly obvious...

Edited by Nightmare

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm off to a The Spartans match next month with a Dumbarton supporting mate of mine from down south. I was telling him that my loyalties may be somewhat divided as The Spartans have our boy in goal, not to mention Callum Booth and James Craigen, whom I described to him as the scooter of the most important Thistle goal this century.

As we're not far off 25% of the way through, what would people's Thistle Eleven of the century so far be?

Graham and Doolan up front are nailed on, but for the rest things aren't as clear. Should one go by their overall time at Thistle, or could you separate the good seasons from the bad for players like Barton, Osman, Keown, Dumbuya and numerous others who went to shite? Would it be fair to leave out, or include, future Scotland players like Hendry who only made a handful of appearances for us? What about guys who were great for us in the third tier but obviously lesser players than jobbers we had in the Premiership?

The parameters need clarified before I can feel confident in posting my team of eleven Henoc Mukendis.

I would imagine Steven Lawless would be included in that 11. Always seems quite a solid, reliable player.

Mark Roberts probably has to be considered as one of the most influential, there's an argument there might not be a Thistle if it wasn't for him almost single handedly getting us out of the third tier in 05/06. 

That said I can't argue with Nightmare's team too much. Other mentions include Alex Burns, Martin Hardie, and Gary Harkins (first time round) 

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Mark Roberts probably has to be considered as one of the most influential, there's an argument there might not be a Thistle if it wasn't for him almost single handedly getting us out of the third tier in 05/06. 

That said I can't argue with Nightmare's team too much. Other mentions include Alex Burns, Martin Hardie, and Gary Harkins (first time round) 

Have to admit I didn't even think about Roberts (I did consider the other three).

Agreed that he's probably the most important player we've had this century. Without him there's no chance that rabble of losers get promoted, nor would we have beaten Inverness in the Scottish Cup either - and with the combination of those two things not happening, f**k knows where the club would be right now.

Quite like doing this as a wee memory exercise if nothing else! Not pinning down a formation, just throwing out names.

Feels weird not mentioning Archibald, partner him in as an old head beside Liam Lindsay.

GK -

Cerny is the clear standout. Infamously good at shithousing and some MOTM displays - sure he got POTY at least once with us, too. Edit: single handedly made at least 3 genuinely unbelievable stops in one match against Dundee Utd when we were in a relegation battle and all.

Scott Fox was decent but unspectacular. A few stinkers we've had e.g. Bryn Halliwell, that Stuckmann guy, Scully was generally poor despite being good at Dunfermline.

RB:

Stephen O'Donnell.

Dumbuya in his first season was incredible, really gutted he went into decline.

CB:

Liam Lindsay pretty much nailed on as a centre back of the century (got to be our highest ever goalscoring defender in a single season in the top flight post war, surely + he got into the SPFL team of the year I'm sure)

LB:

ATS was excellent at bombing down the left.

Paddy Boyle, of all people, was a POTY one season I'm sure. Funny how football can work out.

Marc Twaddle was good, but not as much of a standout as ATS.

CM:

A good few, can't really pick one but just some nominations:

Stuart Bannigan (pre-injury)

David Rowson (just for the odd 30-35 yarder, not many but they were worth the entry fee)

Paul Cairney (legit excellent with us and won a move to Hibs on the back of it, but afaik he was a bit of a bam. Like Boyle, career nosedived after us.)

Gary Fraser: booting 30 yarders in against Hearts, Fifer heads and the ball at Celtic fans. What a man.

LM:

Weird due to currently having Fitzpatrick on the left & Lawless on the right. Erskine, kinda, maybe.

Fitzpatrick looks like he'd be fine in the top flight, if Michael O'Halloran can have a solid top flight career by being fast, direct and scoring the odd goal, so can Fitzpatrick.

AM:

Erskine again, ha. Failing that, Gary Harkins.

RM:

Lawless, mainly on current form. Unplayable for most of the playoff run last season. Did have a fair few good games there in the top flight too.

ST:

Liam Buchanan, Lyle Taylor, Brian Graham and Kris Doolan.

Mark Roberts was indeed great.

Wish we'd had Scott McDonald for at least a couple of seasons prior to when he did join us, could well have had a huge impact for us.

JACK OF ALL TRADES:

Christie Elliot. Absolute banger against Celtic, legit a good guy afaik. Brilliant cross for a Doolan header against Rangers. Let us never speak of what happened after that cross again.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Cerny was the best keeper, but Arthur is my favourite.

3-5-2.

KA

Craigan.   Shaggy.    Lindsay.

RWB. O'Donnell

LWB. Archie.

MF.  Lennon.  Hardie.  Burns.

FW.  Britton (wild how nobody mentioned him in favour of Captain Recency Bias).

Dools.

Midfield was tough as I didn't see much of us when we won a decade ago. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

FW.  Britton (wild how nobody mentioned him in favour of Captain Recency Bias).

Britton was a great player for us, but Brian Graham actually has a far better goalscoring record (he’s scored more in a shorter period of time, and has a superior goals per game ratio), so it’s not that wild a shout imo.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I’m amazed that Abdul Osman has not received a mention. He was immense for us for a decent length of time. 

I did include Osman in my list of players who were great for us but then went to shite. I think you have to take their whole time at the club into account rather than just cherry pick a good few months in isolation. Were that the case you'd probably have Lyle Taylor pt. 1 in the team ahead of Graham.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Britton was a great player for us, but Brian Graham actually has a far better goalscoring record (he’s scored more in a shorter period of time, and has a superior goals per game ratio), so it’s not that wild a shout imo.

Graham played zero seasons in the top flight with us and Britton only played for one season outwith the top flight. Also, Lambie set us up to get goals from all over whereas Graham has been the focal point for all attacks, hence the superior goal tally.

I love BBG, but I was just a bit surprised that Gerry didn't even get mentioned in dispatches.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I did include Osman in my list of players who were great for us but then went to shite. I think you have to take their whole time at the club into account rather than just cherry pick a good few months in isolation. Were that the case you'd probably have Lyle Taylor pt. 1 in the team ahead of Graham.

But Osman was great for us for three full (premier) seasons before missing the first half of the relegation season through injury and not recovering. To me that’s very different to the 6 month wonders such as Keown, Barton et al.

The perception of Osman and Britton are probably tarred with the last season hat salesman and the CEO (though his management spell seems to be almost entirely forgotten with the blame attributed entirely to Derek Whyte) respectively. 

Think Osman has more of a case to get in a team of the last 25 years, you can definitely argue we've never replaced him. For Britton to get in I think you'd have to include his first spell in the 90s which is outside that time frame. He wasn't as good as McLean in 01/02, Burns in 02/03 and Grady in 03/04. Definitely in the honourable mentions category beside Burns and McLean (but not Grady) tho. 

I don’t really remember Britton as a player, so to me he’s just Jacqui Low’s lackey.

I’d have Scott McDonald as a shout for players whose stars shone extremely brightly for a brief period. He was about the only enjoyable thing in Caldwell’s reign though. 

On 15/02/2024 at 17:09, Nightmare said:

Cerny

O'Donnell - Paterson - Lindsay - Archibald

Lawless - Erskine - Bannigan - Higginbotham

Graham - Doolan

My team feels very biased towards the promotion & top flight run of 12/13 to 17/18, with only Shaggy, Archie and Graham not featuring for us in that timeframe. I did love the 01/02 promotion team, but that felt more of a group of guys who came in on a short term basis and did a great job for a couple of years, in contrast to the prolonged success of the latter Premiership team.

I wouldn't normally have gone with a 4-4-2, but no way I was leaving out Graham or Doolan. Graham the rare exception on the list here in that he never played for us in the top flight.

I've also probably missed someone incredibly obvious...

I stumbled into something very similar to this but I'd put Docherty in ahead of Bannigan.

The more interesting bit I think is what kind of cover people would want on the bench.

My (stupidly over attacking and unbalanced as these "best of" teams tend to be) first team, nothing hugely controversial, maybe Higgy as his purple patch was one third of a season but what a patch it was... 

................... Cerny 

O'donnell Lindsay Archie ATS 

...................... Osman 

Lawless......................... Higgy

.................... Erskine 

.......... Doolan...... Graham 

Second team

................... .... .. Tuffey 

Mcmillan Craigan Paterson Booth

.......... Hardie... Bannigan... Harkins 

........ Roberts..... Burns.... Tiffoney 

Mcmillan (Jack, not Jordan obvs) probably gets ahead of Dumbuya despite being at a lower level due to the latter's last two years of being injured, but Booth was consistent for 3 years which puts him ahead of Milne (for now) 

The entire front 3 all had a season (2 in Roberts case) where if they hadn't played we wouldn't have stayed up / gone up. 

Edited by Fuctifano

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm not sure how anyone who seen both could have Docherty over 2013-early 2016 Premiership Bannigan never mind any of the other midfield options already mentioned.

The problem is you've got to take Bannigan over the piece. If we're selectively picking out only part of someone's tenure Osman or Barton would be in the team of the quarter century and Keown would have a decent shout.

I'm not a massive Bannigan fan and I would have been OK with letting him go in the summer, but his level of performance across his career with Thistle is miles ahead of Docherty imo. Docherty was slightly better when they played together but not so much it would outweigh Bannigan up til his knee injury. 

Also Osman was brilliant for 3 out of his 4 seasons with us, obviously the last season was a disaster, but a 75% hit rate doesn't seem like a great example of cherry picking. 

Looking at the players if what I assume is your best team ever shows you all know nothing.

Not one mention of James grady 

Gary harkins was miles better than any fudd you've put on your list.

He was miles better than lawless, shame he left same as grady