The Partick Thistle thread

Most of the post-Arbroath updates are now in place at your Archive...

Arbroath 0 Thistle 1 →

:detective:  WE DO LIKE TO BE BESIDE THE SEASIDE

● For the third game in a row, the full matchday squad is Scottish-born.
● 17-year-old Thomas Horn becomes the 2,025th Jag in our A-Z of first team players.
● In all competitions, we've now seen a first half goal in 25 consecutive Partick Thistle matches, the longest such run since 1959 (25).
Aidan Fitzpatrick hits double figures in our competitive goals chart for 2023-24.
● 4 of Aidan Fitzpatrick's 10 goals this season have been scored against Arbroath. His 5-goal total against the Red Lichties is bettered only by Denis McQuade (7).
● For the first time in history, Partick Thistle register back-to-back league wins at Gayfield! It's one of 5 club-records on the go versus Arbroath, 3 league wins on the trot also being an historical first.

ongoing sequences:
● 24 games in 3rd place, an extension of the club-record for a position outwith outright top or bottom.
● 58 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Chris Erskine - 70 games, 27th Aug 2011 to 2nd Mar 2013. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

24 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Looks like the club spending money on making the main stand less of a shitehole is upsetting the speckiest MSP about.

He’s more than welcome to fucking pay for it if he wants to. I’ve looked into it before, Crittall windows are extortionate. 

30 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Looks like the club spending money on making the main stand less of a shitehole is upsetting the speckiest MSP about.

It's no really the place for it but I have never understood why people want buildings to have old shitty windows where you normally have to install a second window inside to stop everyone freezing to death.  

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Anyone know where @jagfox has disappeared to? He seems to have been missing for a couple of months. 

I’m sure I saw him getting knocked back from Gayfield on Saturday for being too pished.

Which means I think the bold jagfox is absolutely fine.

Edited by Nightmare

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I’m sure I saw him getting knocked back from Gayfield on Saturday for being too pished.

Which means I think the bold jagfox is absolutely fine.

Aye, I spoke to him outside Tutties. I said a few weeks ago on the “Missing in Action” thread on GN he’s just taking a break from the forum, which is completely fair enough. 

Paul Sweeney is a wee w**k

I went to University with Paul Sweeney.

If he wants to write a letter to the CEO of the Football Club I will be recommending, as one of the representatives for the majority shareholder, that any reply is short.

On 26/03/2024 at 17:33, itzdrk said:

It's no really the place for it but I have never understood why people want buildings to have old shitty windows where you normally have to install a second window inside to stop everyone freezing to death.  

Indeed.  And I'd be willing to bet that the folk wringing their hands about a cheaper, modern alternative being used have no interest whatsoever in Thistle or our stadium (and probably no awareness of financial pressures in Scottish football) except to have a wee tut about historical accuracy when walking past.

Regional List (lol) MSP Sweeney's apparent suggestion to try to get the building listed at a time when work is already underway - which could therefore presumably cost us quite a lot of money in the unlikely event he could make a retrospective listing happen - marks him out, quite frankly, as a busybody. He apparently cares about the appearance and fabric of our old stand, but he clearly hasn't considered the overall interests of the football club playing at the stadium and their staff.  The new windows look fine.

Edited by VictorOnopko

On 26/03/2024 at 17:02, Pie Of The Month said:

It if upsets local London Labour apologist and rent-a-gob Sweeney it's fine by me .

Edited by I Clavdivs

On 28/03/2024 at 10:04, VictorOnopko said:

Indeed.  And I'd be willing to bet that the folk wringing their hands about a cheaper, modern alternative being used have no interest whatsoever in Thistle or our stadium (and probably no awareness of financial pressures in Scottish football) except to have a wee tut about historical accuracy when walking past.

Regional List (lol) MSP Sweeney's apparent suggestion to try to get the building listed at a time when work is already underway - which could therefore presumably cost us quite a lot of money in the unlikely event he could make a retrospective listing happen - marks him out, quite frankly, as a busybody. He apparently cares about the appearance and fabric of our old stand, but he clearly hasn't considered the overall interests of the football club playing at the stadium and their staff.  The new windows look fine.

Making the Main Stand a listed building is probably the one thing most likely to lead to its outright demolition, because it would kill off the financial viability of any major redevelopment of Firhill that involved keeping it as a football stadium.

I'm sure Thistle being forced to build a 4000 seater stadium in Bishopbriggs and Firhill Road being converted into a student village would be fantastic for community heritage...

24 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Making the Main Stand a listed building is probably the one thing most likely to lead to its outright demolition, because it would kill off the financial viability of any major redevelopment of Firhill that involved keeping it as a football stadium.

I'm sure Thistle being forced to build a 4000 seater stadium in Bishopbriggs and Firhill Road being converted into a student village would be fantastic for community heritage...

I have always thought it would be a good idea to offer the entire land that the stadium sits on to a developer for them to build us an 8k stadium and then do whatever they want with the spare land around it. We would have to move out for a year mind you but it would solve the bing/main stand issue and also give us a modern stadium/facilities.

Does anyone know. In the event where we reach the play offs and Ayr aren't involved, could Dowds return and play for us (assuming his contract is to the end of May) given that Tomi is out for the season and the only other striker we have is Diack apart from BBG? 

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Does anyone know. In the event where we reach the play offs and Ayr aren't involved, could Dowds return and play for us (assuming his contract is to the end of May) given that Tomi is out for the season and the only other striker we have is Diack apart from BBG? 

Nah, he couldn’t.