The Partick Thistle thread

13 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Notice Thistle's defence is leaking goals again. Just wondering how much yon Lewis Neilson has to do with that sad state of affairs?

Not sure where he is playing today. Last week he was playing in midfield. He was one of a number of players that failed to get the ball clear.

2 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Notice Thistle's defence is leaking goals again. Just wondering how much yon Lewis Neilson has to do with that sad state of affairs?

Individually, he looks like a good player, but there’s no denying that he’s been part of a defence who’ve been comically bad - only two teams have conceded more, and they’re in 8th and 10th. Having a succession of clown shoes goalkeepers behind them won’t have helped, but I think he’s better on the ball than he is at actual defending - which I think he acknowledged himself at one point. There’s definitely a good Premiership level player in there though, and his experience with us will have helped him massively I’d have thought. 

What a photo by Donald Wilson! 3 video options for all of us to agonize over / enjoy this week, and most of the post-QP updates are now in place at the Archive →

:detective:  THE RETURN OF THE 20 GOALS-A-SEASON STRIKER!

Tomi Adeloye is the first Jag to score in two games at Hampden in the same season since super Maurice Johnston did so in 1982-83.
Brian Graham converts his 4th successive penalty, bringing his ratio (70%) back onto historical par (70.2%). His last 3 have levelled the match at 2-2. See our list of Every penalty taken.
Brian Graham scores in a 5th consecutive competitive game for Thistle, and is the first to do so since Kris Doolan (6) in 2016. The club-record (8) lies with Scott McLean, set in 2000.
Brian Graham becomes the first Jag since George Smith (1958-1960) to hit the 20 competitive goals mark in back-to-back seasons, an excellent achievement. See our Top Scorers per season page for a flavour.
Kris Doolan's Thistle are 7 competitive games without a win, the longest run since October 2020 (11), under Ian McCall.

ongoing sequences:

● 55 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Blair Spittal - 57 games, 31st Mar 2018 to 4th May 2019. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

GIULYFIXkAArdPZ.jpeg

Neilson is brilliant. And to be honest with a higher level of coaching, a more experienced manager and a higher quality of teammates & opponents - he is going to be one of the big Scottish players of the next 5-10yrs.

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

Neilson is brilliant. And to be honest with a higher level of coaching, a more experienced manager and a higher quality of teammates & opponents - he is going to be one of the big Scottish players of the next 5-10yrs.

I’d say he’s been pretty good but has had a few lapses in concentration and strange moments. Definitely wouldn’t classify anything he’s done for us this season as brilliant.

I agree that he’s got a promising career ahead of him, almost certainly at a higher level than the Scottish Championship.

Well, thats almost the shitty run of fixtures out the road; problem being we fucked it against Dunfermline and Ayr beforehand and failed to skadge a win up to this point, so no real leeway left in the run in now. Morton games probably gone from must not lose to must win, in cliche speak.

Odd one, our form this calendar year has a bit of a relegation death spiral feel under it (a la Archibalds last few games in the top flight + first few in the second tier) but we *should* have enough of a buffer to be safe. We may be in our own Banter Years though, so until its mathematical im not going to rule it out.

Really we just need to get a win, somehow, anyway possible. As for Doolan... mmm. Ill give him more faith to turn it around, but conscious theres warning signs that it could get untenable for him if this keeps up. Need some luck to go our way and all.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

We only need one more win to avoid the relegation playoff spot, even if we lost every game til the end of the season we'd be OK more often than not I think, albeit 40 isn't a guarantee of safety this season. If we did go down from where we were on Jan 7th then we'd deserve it. 

I don't think that will come close to happening but we're definitely in danger of finishing outside the top 4. 

Games like tonight and the last Ayr game we should never have lost on the balance of chances, Dunfermline was obviously a disaster and some OK draws in there. Just need a shitty win from somewhere, much like Raith got tonight. 

32 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We only need one more win to avoid the relegation playoff spot, even if we lost every game til the end of the season we'd be OK more often than not I think, albeit 40 isn't a guarantee of safety this season. If we did go down from where we were on Jan 7th then we'd deserve it. 

I don't think that will come close to happening but we're definitely in danger of finishing outside the top 4. 

Games like tonight and the last Ayr game we should never have lost on the balance of chances, Dunfermline was obviously a disaster and some OK draws in there. Just need a shitty win from somewhere, much like Raith got tonight. 

Cheers, aye i had actually checked the table after tonight, league from 3rd - 9th is still fairly tight but theres not as many games left as i thought.

Safe now, hurrah!

Arbroath away never feels like a comfortable fixture for us, but they've been the league whipping boys so theres not a better fixture *cliche klaxon* on paper for us to get back to back wins.

McBeth & Aero at the back looked good, werent worked too hard by Morton but hopefully can be a good wee partnership for the run in. Glad we were (generally, Morton goal a 2nd phase from a wide free kick?) a lot more solid at set pieces too.

Next two games against the league's bottom two....what could possibly go wrong ?.

Defence looked better yesterday, however, we need to me more clinical up front and improve our woeful  and wasteful corners and deadball situations. .

11 minutes ago, I Clavdivs said:

Next two games against the league's bottom two....what could possibly go wrong ?.

Defence looked better yesterday, however, we need to me more clinical up front and improve our woeful  and wasteful corners and deadball situations. .

Yesterday, though, it wasn’t only the deadball situations that let us down. There were the two clear breaks by Fitzpatrick and Mackenzie where their decisions failed to give easy chances for Mcinroy and McMillan.

27 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Yesterday, though, it wasn’t only the deadball situations that let us down. There were the two clear breaks by Fitzpatrick and Mackenzie where their decisions failed to give easy chances for Mcinroy and McMillan.

Yup,thought Fitzpatrick had another off day overall.

5 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

This is the thing. I think if we get 6 points from the next two games we'll be 4th at worst this season. But the jekyll and Hyde nature of our performances all season is really not filling me with confidence. 

5 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I found myself genuinely wondering yesterday if the players make these nonsense decisions because they get a goal bonus? 

On 17/03/2024 at 10:11, I Clavdivs said:

Me deciding to come up for the Arbroath game?

On 17/03/2024 at 20:12, The Thistle Archive said:

Is Brian Graham eyeing-up a post-war league record with the Jags? Check this week's 'Stats Watch' and more...

Thistle 2 Morton 1 →

Maybe, but nearly as importantly he’s on the latest Draw, Lose or Draw episode talking about the women’s cup final and confirming that, just like every other Thistle fan, he thinks Tam O’Ware is a total fanny.

Despite today's result I felt pretty proud to be a Jags fan today. Thought that was an excellent turnout and I hope the ladies enjoyed their day regardless of the scoreline. That goal was a special moment.

In other news: Rangers died and The Jags survived.