The Partick Thistle thread

12 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

The problem is you've got to take Bannigan over the piece. If we're selectively picking out only part of someone's tenure Osman or Barton would be in the team of the quarter century and Keown would have a decent shout.

Bannigan pre-injury is so far ahead of Docherty he'd need to have spent the last few seasons actively scoring own goals against us in order to bring him down to a level where this is even a debate.

4 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Looking at the players if what I assume is your best team ever shows you all know nothing.

Not one mention of James grady 

Gary harkins was miles better than any fudd you've put on your list.

He was miles better than lawless, shame he left same as grady 

Trying far, far too hard.

You pretty much always have to caveat whoever you're picking tbf; anyone that legit shone out for us almost certainly wasn't here for long or if they did have a few seasons at the club, wasn't able to sustain it consistently or they would have gotten a bigger/more lucrative move somewhere else.

Makes Doolan's career all the more special, come to think of it, tbf.

Plus there's guys like Erskine, Lawless and Archibald who left but came back.

Also just remembered Lawless goal against Aberdeen, would be my pick for goal of the century. Typically I'm sure we still lost that game, but the Scott Brown goal last night jogged my memory a bit, wasn't a volley but a similar gorgeous dipping action on the shot. Wooft.

edit: actually no.

Erskine against Airdrie.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

My vote for best goal comes from one of our most useless signings of the century.

This view from Camallain is arguably better than the official club video which doesn’t keep up with the shot.

Pretty much the definition of a worldie. Unreal.

Britton scored with his right foot into the top corner from outside the box at Brockville. One of my favourite ever goals.

McKinstry v Clyde was a belter as was Shaggy's free kick against Nicky Walker.

Fraser v Hearts or that O'Donnell one against County for more recent choices.

On 12/02/2024 at 19:32, Fuctifano said:

Went through it myself for draws, so we have Raith this year, Cove last year, Dundee Utd (of course they're on any PTFC related list of bad shit) in 15/16 in a post-split game that went 3-1 to 3-3 in the last 5 minutes and Ross County 3-1 to 3-3 in 13/14.

On the Thistle comeback side there's the East Fife game I mentioned in 20/21, a 2-2 draw with Dunfermline at Firhill in 18/19 and a 3-3 draw with Hamilton in 14/15 which probably needs an asterisk as we came back from 0-2 to 3-2, then lost a 94th minute equaliser so it didn't feel like much of a comeback at full time.

So that's nine 2 goal leads lost since 2013/14 and three where we've came back from 2 down to avoid defeat.

One more now

On 15/02/2024 at 16:03, DiegoDiego said:

I'm off to a The Spartans match next month with a Dumbarton supporting mate of mine from down south. I was telling him that my loyalties may be somewhat divided as The Spartans have our boy in goal, not to mention Callum Booth and James Craigen, whom I described to him as the scooter of the most important Thistle goal this century.

As we're not far off 25% of the way through, what would people's Thistle Eleven of the century so far be?

Graham and Doolan up front are nailed on, but for the rest things aren't as clear. Should one go by their overall time at Thistle, or could you separate the good seasons from the bad for players like Barton, Osman, Keown, Dumbuya and numerous others who went to shite? Would it be fair to leave out, or include, future Scotland players like Hendry who only made a handful of appearances for us? What about guys who were great for us in the third tier but obviously lesser players than jobbers we had in the Premiership?

The parameters need clarified before I can feel confident in posting my team of eleven Henoc Mukendis.

Given how far back we're going, players like Alex Burns, Danny Lennon, Archie and Shaggy would all be absolute stick ons for me. I'd actually have Toastie ahead of BBG 

The Gary Fraser goal vs Hearts still gives me goosebumps every time I think about it. 

Special mention for the O'Donnell one vs Dundee Utd, purely for the disbelief that it actually happened. Loads of jobbing players have scored one-off worldies, but for me there's something really, really special about a team like Thistle playing like Barcelona, even if it only lasted about ten seconds. 

41 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

The Gary Fraser goal vs Hearts still gives me goosebumps every time I think about it. 

Special mention for the O'Donnell one vs Dundee Utd, purely for the disbelief that it actually happened. Loads of jobbing players have scored one-off worldies, but for me there's something really, really special about a team like Thistle playing like Barcelona, even if it only lasted about ten seconds. 

His goal vs Dunfermline in 5-1 game in the promotion season was equally as good.

There have been better goals, but James McKinstry cutting inside on his left against Clyde and curling into the top corner is my favourite.

Mind I was coming back from the toilet so was standing in the aisle perfectly in line to watch it curl in. He was one of my favourite players at the time so just one of those connection making moments. 

f**k I loved that team.

Clyde. Wonder what happened to them.

25 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

There have been better goals, but James McKinstry cutting inside on his left against Clyde and curling into the top corner is my favourite.

Mind I was coming back from the toilet so was standing in the aisle perfectly in line to watch it curl in. He was one of my favourite players at the time so just one of those connection making moments. 

f**k I loved that team.

Clyde. Wonder what happened to them.

I was ball boy behind the goal, absolutely brilliant view for that peach! Front row for Gerry easily rounding Kevin Bud for the opener too