The Partick Thistle thread

Attempting to play the second half of the season with only 2 wide players was always a strange move. Not keen on watching Ngwenya or Diack try to play out wide. Neither if them have the ability to play the role. McInroy or McKenzie are probably the best (but still not very good) options unless we change formation.

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Also, genuinely, Dowds is shite. 

Academic now ,however,10 goals and 5 assists out of 24 starts says otherwise. 

We were running our luck tbh with not adding to the wide options in January. I think McInroy is probably most likely to start in his place for now, which isn’t ideal.

Easier said than done but change the shape & have an extra man in the middle " number 10 " & give Fitzpartrick a free run between the two wings doing that tho will tire him even quicker than usual??

2 hours ago, colliedug said:

Easier said than done but change the shape & have an extra man in the middle " number 10 " & give Fitzpartrick a free run between the two wings doing that tho will tire him even quicker than usual??

Yeah ,might work if bombing up wing on Colin Weir side,however,JHS side quagmire would be too much for Mo Salah let alone Fitzty...however,needs must and might be an option .

Edited by I Clavdivs

3 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

Those stats do look fine however 6 of those 10 goals were against Airdrie (lol). He’s a good all rounder but he’d benefit greatly from having a more natural goalscorer alongside him as he does a great job in creating space. 

I’d be content enough with him staying next season but wouldn’t be gutted if he went. 

That's gutting, hope he can make a full recovery.

For the run in... try out a back five - Mitchell GK, Neilson, Aero and McBeth at CB, Milne and McMillan as wingbacks and rest Fitzpatrick for a game or two, which at times he looks like he could do with tbf? Something wild like McMillan further forward (but then Williams is out too and we're also limited at right back so would probably be weaker there which isn't ideal at all, don't think Zander fits there)? Shoehorn Robinson in there and then juggle about the midfield a bit (also just noticed Bannigan hasn't made the bench the last couple of games either...)?

Legit not sure; will be impressed if Doolan can stumble on something that works but aye its a pain, especially before a particularly tough match.

Are emergency/out of window short term loans still a thing 😅

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

6 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

Club website has wee Stevie out till early 2025 due to ruptured achilles. Devasting for him (hope his op goes well this week and he gets back fit sooner than later)and the Club at this stage in the season. As has been said no like for like replacement so playoffs(if we make them ) pretty much now out of grasp unless Dools and Co have a cunning plan.

Thats terrible news- a class player.A cruel game at times…..

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

No. Free agents- made available to the last window closing - only.

I doubt it is a route we would go down. 

Emergency loans are only for goalkeepers nowadays.

11 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

That's gutting, hope he can make a full recovery.

For the run in... try out a back five - Mitchell GK, Neilson, Aero and McBeth at CB, Milne and McMillan as wingbacks and rest Fitzpatrick for a game or two, which at times he looks like he could do with tbf? Something wild like McMillan further forward (but then Williams is out too and we're also limited at right back so would probably be weaker there which isn't ideal at all, don't think Zander fits there)? Shoehorn Robinson in there and then juggle about the midfield a bit (also just noticed Bannigan hasn't made the bench the last couple of games either...)?

Legit not sure; will be impressed if Doolan can stumble on something that works but aye its a pain, especially before a particularly tough match.

I think the back 5 works and you could have Fitzpatrick playing off Graham. McMillan and Milne getting forward and protected by the 3 and a holding midfielder should create more chances.

The position we're in means we should have 4 games to work it out without too much pressure before the playoffs. 

What’s the story with Dan O’Reilly?He likely to play again this season?

Was gutted Raith didn’t sign him but he’s hardly played a minute for yous.

Mind you we obviously wanted Ashcroft and he only played 20 minutes.

51 minutes ago, SerieA said:

What’s the story with Dan O’Reilly?He likely to play again this season?

Was gutted Raith didn’t sign him but he’s hardly played a minute for yous.

Mind you we obviously wanted Ashcroft and he only played 20 minutes.

Who know's ,played part of a game for us then got injured again .Rumoured to be ready to play but been hearing that for a while now.If he does he'll be far from match fit so probably not much impact for us this season alas just adding to our now already horrendous injury list. 

Yep, this sounds pretty grim for Lawless.  I really hope the recovery goes smoothly and we see him again in a Jags shirt next season.

It'll be interesting to see whether Doolan changes the shape or shoehorns folk in out of position to keep the current formation.  Stating the obvious but we could really do with holding onto 3rd place for the prize money alone. Airdrie at home on the 20th looks like quite a big game now.

7 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Yep, this sounds pretty grim for Lawless.  I really hope the recovery goes smoothly and we see him again in a Jags shirt next season.

It'll be interesting to see whether Doolan changes the shape or shoehorns folk in out of position to keep the current formation.  Stating the obvious but we could really do with holding onto 3rd place for the prize money alone. Airdrie at home on the 20th looks like quite a big game now.i i

The Airdrie game was always the big one for me. It's now even bigger. Picking up much from Raith Rovers and Dundee United is unlikely, so we need to do well against Airdrie and Ayr. At least we have a match before Airdrie to try things out.

18 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

As mentioned he's only scored 4 goals in non-Airdrie matches. Of his 6 goals against us - 1 was a free-kick into literally an empty net, 1 was a tap-in to an empty net after us giving the ball away, another was a 1 on 1 after us giving the ball away, the one last Friday night again was a short header back to the goalie which he got to first. I think another was a free header from a corner which our goalie palmed into his own net. The one he scored early in the season was a nice strike and was the only one that wasn't at least in part due to horrific defending.

Obviously a goal is a goal, and you have to be there to score it and all strikers will benefit from mistakes, but I've never seen anything like it before where we seem to continue to gift sitters to one player. His goal record against everyone else suggests that it is much more a case of our terrible defending that has resulted in the goals rather than his good attacking.

That said, he doesn't seem the type of player who should be judged entirely on goals, as his assists numbers maybe shows. I'd have thought he was more a player who you use to hold the ball, win headers and disrupt defences to create space for better players around him. I don't think he's a bad player at all, but he certainly has our defence this year to thank for getting his numbers up.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 hours ago, pthardie said:

I think the back 5 works and you could have Fitzpatrick playing off Graham. McMillan and Milne getting forward and protected by the 3 and a holding midfielder should create more chances.

The position we're in means we should have 4 games to work it out without too much pressure before the playoffs. 

We really want to hold on to 3rd place. If Airdrie win tonight, they are only 2 points behind. 

19 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

As mentioned he's only scored 4 goals in non-Airdrie matches. Of his 6 goals against us - 1 was a free-kick into literally an empty net, 1 was a tap-in to an empty net after us giving the ball away, another was a 1 on 1 after us giving the ball away, the one last Friday night again was a short header back to the goalie which he got to first. I think another was a free header from a corner which our goalie palmed into his own net. The one he scored early in the season was a nice strike and was the only one that wasn't at least in part due to horrific defending.

Obviously a goal is a goal, and you have to be there to score it and all strikers will benefit from mistakes, but I've never seen anything like it before where we seem to continue to gift sitters to one player. His goal record against everyone else suggests that it is much more a case of our terrible defending that has resulted in the goals rather than his good attacking.

That said, he doesn't seem the type of player who should be judged entirely on goals, as his assists numbers maybe shows. I'd have thought he was more a player who you use to hold the ball, win headers and disrupt defences to create space for better players around him. I don't think he's a bad player at all, but he certainly has our defence this year to thank for getting his numbers up.

So ,agreed he's not "shite" ?

FB_IMG_1711966305665.jpg.c2bc185f5d05e13a208b85dc23f40ae4.jpg

Edited by I Clavdivs