The Partick Thistle thread

I am disappointed for everyone, but having something to play for until almost the end is not to be sniffed at.  I have enjoyed all the games I have made it to (not as many as I would like) and seen some new grounds.  I don't know enough about Scottish football to have a sensible wish-list of players so my wish is for the best recovery for Steven Lawless.  Not concerned about anyone we will have to play next season.  I hope they will be worrying about us.

8 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

I am disappointed for everyone, but having something to play for until almost the end is not to be sniffed at.  I have enjoyed all the games I have made it to (not as many as I would like) and seen some new grounds.  I don't know enough about Scottish football to have a sensible wish-list of players so my wish is for the best recovery for Steven Lawless.  Not concerned about anyone we will have to play next season.  I hope they will be worrying about us.

Out of interest, and apologies if you’ve said before and I missed it, but what got you interested in following Thistle? As I recall, you’re from Liverpool with no family ties to Glasgow, aye?

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Out of interest, and apologies if you’ve said before and I missed it, but what got you interested in following Thistle? As I recall, you’re from Liverpool with no family ties to Glasgow, aye?

Nosey b*****d 🤣 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Officially Wirral (so also watched a bit of Tranmere in my youth), but was not sure if folk knew were that was!  No family ties.  A variety of reasons so apologies if this is long-winded. 

A friend went to Uni in Glasgow in the late 80s and her boyfriend (now her husband and now living down here) came down to visit.  He supports Ayr United so we quizzed him about Scottish football.  We then crashed in the Uni halls up Garscube Campus when Liverpool played Celtic in the post-Hillsborough friendly and the Glasgow people were great with us.    I have always had a great time up there.

After moving back here from London a few years ago, my Ayr United mate told me no one would talk to him about Scottish football which is not right.  I started getting into it as a neutral for some patter and it got to the point where he said I should really chose a side.   He started reeling off questions including you like Glasgow don't you, you like Maryhill don't you, you like Patrick Thistle don't you?  All affirmative.  I decided to commit and thought once I set foot in Firhill, Thistle wll be my team.  First two home games I went to, we got pumped to the point I thought I was a jinx.   I don't have the heritage and ideal proximity, but I can at least actively support them in my own way.

8 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Officially Wirral (so also watched a bit of Tranmere in my youth), but was not sure if folk knew were that was!  No family ties.  A variety of reasons so apologies if this is long-winded. 

A friend went to Uni in Glasgow in the late 80s and her boyfriend (now her husband and now living down here) came down to visit.  He supports Ayr United so we quizzed him about Scottish football.  We then crashed in the Uni halls up Garscube Campus when Liverpool played Celtic in the post-Hillsborough friendly and the Glasgow people were great with us.    I have always had a great time up there.

After moving back here from London a few years ago, my Ayr United mate told me no one would talk to him about Scottish football which is not right.  I started getting into it as a neutral for some patter and it got to the point where he said I should really chose a side.   He started reeling off questions including you like Glasgow don't you, you like Maryhill don't you, you like Patrick Thistle don't you?  All affirmative.  I decided to commit and thought once I set foot in Firhill, Thistle wll be my team.  First two home games I went to, we got pumped to the point I thought I was a jinx.   I don't have the heritage and ideal proximity, but I can at least actively support them in my own way.

Thistle now train at the playing fields at Garscube. Another connection.

10 hours ago, Red Kite said:

What Is Wrong With You Season 2 GIF by The Office

13 hours ago, cilitbang said:

The lack of creativity without Lawless really showed in the playoffs. If we don’t find another player to unlock teams, we will find ourselves in the same position if Lawless gets injured again. 
AM/2nd ST, DM, GK + CB starters would be my shopping list. And throw in a utility player to cover for injuries. 

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, we did manage 7 goals in the 4 playoff games, with many more chances created, particularly in the last match.

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, we did manage 7 goals in the 4 playoff games, with many more chances created, particularly in the last match.

I personally felt without Lawless, we tended to go route one to Graham or kick and rush for Fitzpatrick.

So when a team did a low block to us, we struggled to create proper chances. Others will see it differently and have different takes though.

Think that seems about right based on what was rumoured. If -as I think @Ad Lib said but could be wrong- we budgeted for 5th and to go out of all the cups at earliest stage then we've probably earned >£250k in prize &TV money vs budget though this may not all have been paid yet.

Any solidarity income for the transfers at the start of the season for Nisbet to Millwall and Hendry to whatever Saudi club would also have been unbudgeted for, so as long as there weren't too many unpleasant surprises on the expenditure side we should be doing OK.

14 minutes ago, Girth said:

In other news, why does everyone hate Brian Graham?

My guess is he is not playing for which ever mediocre team they are supporting. .

16 minutes ago, Girth said:

In other news, why does everyone hate Brian Graham?

He’s really good, for a start. But in addition to being a top striker at this level he also excels the streetwise part of the game and can be quite outspoken in the media, which I’m sure contributes to people’s feelings towards him.

One of those types of player you love when he plays for your team but hate when he doesn’t.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He’s really good, for a start. But in addition to being a top striker at this level he also excels the streetwise part of the game and can be quite outspoken in the media, which I’m sure contributes to people’s feelings towards him.

One of those types of player you love when he plays for your team but hate when he doesn’t.

Hes definitely a shitehouse player who loves to wind up opposition players and fans and also referees haha