The Partick Thistle thread

The slight glimmer of hope that Jack McMillan will stay is tempered by the fact that ‘in discussions’ is what we put about Docherty, Turner and Holt last season before all of them left.

Not massively fussed on Alston staying, but if he can play like he did in the playoffs a bit more often then great. Either way, he’s probably fine as a squad option.

Dowds isn’t someone I’m a big fan of, so if he’s staying then I’ll have to trust Doolan’s judgement. 

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The slight glimmer of hope that Jack McMillan will stay is tempered by the fact that ‘in discussions’ is what we put about Docherty, Turner and Holt last season before all of them left.

Aye. I’d guess it’s very likely he’s still away.

“In talks” with the likes of Dowds and Alston doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll stay either, tbf. We could low ball them and they decide to walk and sign elsewhere.

I would say Dowds and McMillan are away as expected.

Alston and Mitchell are unlikely to get offers higher up the layer cake so more likely to stay.

I would possibly prefer just to ship them all and thank them for their service.

The business side of Scottish football is a revelation to me.  It's like an episode of Dallas.  If McMiilan is away, is it realistic to try and get Megwa on a season-long loan while Hibs are letting Malky do his thing?

4 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

The business side of Scottish football is a revelation to me.  It's like an episode of Dallas.  If McMiilan is away, is it realistic to try and get Megwa on a season-long loan while Hibs are letting Malky do his thing?

The club will be looking at options as they will know who is leaving or likely to leave and will be looking at options accordingly.

I'm not sure what Hibs would get from loaning him to another Championship side this season tbh. 

Like Neilson I think he will either look to compete for a 1st team squad place or go on loan to  Premiership team or League 1 down south. 

Posted (edited)

I'm less convinced from this season (recency bias maybe) that McMillan is ready for the top flight tbh. Might still be teams with deeper pockets willing to take that risk or offer him a deal, but idk, depends on the right back depth at a few clubs & its not quite the same as last season where Dundee Utd poached a couple of our key players, less convinced Livi are as attractive this time round & most of the other teams in the league have a feel of a fairly sideways move to them - they might also be completely fucked and admin bound if the news is right.

Would love him to re-sign if only to avoid a headache replacing him, McBeth shows we can sometimes find an absolute gem notwithstanding.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

8 hours ago, JagsCG said:

I read somewhere that Livi asked him to activate his release clause because of his wages. Would take Steven Bradley. 

He'll be staying in the Premiership, could easily go into a Dundee or St Mirren

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

The annoyance with Sneddon is that he makes some brilliant saves - he could be a really good keeper, but he’s prone to too many brain farts and the odd shot that seems to go right through him. In the round I’d say he’s fine - but he’s at both the extremes. Mitchell is just more consistently meh. 

who was the player you used to fan boy over? It’s bothering me now. 

I don’t mind Sneddon or Mitchell all that much, but if we have aspirations of promotion then we should be doing better than that, at least a different option.  Sneed on strikes me as a bit of a Jim Leighton type - some great stuff, but some absolute howlers too, like he’s forgotten to take his ADHD meds or his contacts fell out (as famously happened with Leighton).

Wouldn’t say no to Jim Leighton though, the 1980s version, not 2024!

45 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Aye. I’d guess it’s very likely he’s still away.

“In talks” with the likes of Dowds and Alston doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll stay either, tbf. We could low ball them and they decide to walk and sign elsewhere.

That’s true, I’m just surprised that we’ve decided they’re worth hanging on to - particularly Dowds who, despite a decent season at Ayr, I was certain was finished at Firhill. 

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Good luck to Jamie. He will always have this to look back on.

20240521_183736.thumb.jpg.91dbec8d4b7d774d047ab619c3cb9902.jpg

I'm just out of the shot. Thank you Jamie, for giving me what will surely be my only ever pleasant memory of Cove.

Bradley was really good with us and should’ve seen more game time but Jim Duffy is an absolutely atrocious manager. He’s quite lightweight though and not particularly quick. Seems to rely more on skill and a good final ball but is easily bullied about. 

Hes the type that will go to a Championship team for two years then earn a move back to the Premiership and do better. I’d be delighted if we signed him.

Be very surprised if McMillan isn't away and it's just officially noting we've offered him a contract rather than outright freed him. Would be quite the turnaround for Dowds to stay so I'd expect him to go as well.

I'd rather Alston and Mitchell moved on (unless we end up playing Raith 36 times next season in which case I'd keep Alston and back him for Ballon D'or) although if the wages are low enough-which none of us will know- they're fine as backup, and no issues with any of the releases.

I don’t expect Dowds to be getting a new deal, given he was apparently unhappy with game time previously, the agent situation and that he wasn’t even listed on the original players update it seems more it was just a courteous to include him because perhaps he hasn’t had any talks with the club yet.  Don’t mind keeping Mitchell providing we bring in a someone else of decent standing, and would be very surprised if McMillan signs a new deal given one has obviously been on offer for most of the season and he didn’t sign.