The Partick Thistle thread

11 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Did we not have McBeth on trial for a good few weeks before signing him?

Not against doing the same during pre season, especially early weeks while the squad will still be short.

We must have one of the better track records with those moves: Doolan, Erskine, James Craigan and now McBeth. Missed anyone?

I think we were put onto McBeth by Gary Fraser?

Dools and Erskine might have been via Bobby Dinnie?

I think these golden nuggets are from recommendations to a degree.

2 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I think we were put onto McBeth by Gary Fraser?

Dools and Erskine might have been via Bobby Dinnie?

I think these golden nuggets are from recommendations to a degree.

I'd assume so, but we cant be the only team getting recommendations to have a look at these or similar players.

Dont know if its just that we are a bit more willing to give them an opportunity?

It has happened too often to just be luck.

7 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I'd assume so, but we cant be the only team getting recommendations to have a look at these or similar players.

Dont know if its just that we are a bit more willing to give them an opportunity?

Middle part must have something to do with it, I would say.

45 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I'd read somewhere that Paton had recommended McBeth to another club but they never followed it up.

Gary then recommended him to us, and the rest is history.

46 minutes ago, baba douche said:

I'd read somewhere that Paton had recommended McBeth to another club but they never followed it up.

Gary then recommended him to us, and the rest is history.

I happen to know that McBeth was recommended to Ayr at some point, maybe before he went to America, but by whom I don't know. Anyway, their loss is our gain

7 hours ago, baba douche said:

Christie Elliot, I still can't believe he got a full-length professional football career out of being really fast and a nice guy.

I can barely remember anything that he actually did of note in the (checks notes) 7-8 YEARS he was with us 😂

Good luck to him, he did a lot better than I thought he would!

He was never rated as highly as he would have been had he been signed as a full back, I reckon. Because he was signed as a forward and was rubbish at that, and then tried as a winger and wasn’t that good at that, there was always the feeling (for some, not me) he was just filling in at RB (sometimes LB). However he did become a genuinely decent reliable fullback at least defensively (i.e. his core duty). It was also useful to have pace in the wing, even if his crossing left something to be desired. One of the reasons we went down was that Elliot was injured for more than half that season.

It is worth noting he was a regular for much of those 7-8 years, and they were our most successful years in recent history. He then won promotion with Dundee.

tl;dr: Decent player, underrated.

Posted (edited)

Did Christie retire due to injury or something? He can’t be too much past 30. Vaguely recall him playing against us during his stint with Dundee, looked odd seeing him in another teams’ colours. 

Edited by JagsCG

10 hours ago, baba douche said:

Christie Elliot, I still can't believe he got a full-length professional football career out of being really fast and a nice guy.

I can barely remember anything that he actually did of note in the (checks notes) 7-8 YEARS he was with us 😂

I'll jog your memory with a few notable Christie moments:

- Scored within 5 minutes of coming on for his debut v Hamilton @ Firhill (2011)

- Scored the only goal @ New St Mirren Park (2014)

- Supplied the cross for Ade Azeez to equalise @ Celtic Park (2017)

- Supplied the cross for Kris Doolan's bullet header v Sevco @ Firhill (2017)

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Did Christie retire due to injury or something? He can’t be too much past 30. Vaguely recall him playing against us during his stint with Dundee, looked odd seeing him in another teams’ colours. 

I think he just got a good opportunity of a job offshore and went for it rather than being injured.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

10 hours ago, baba douche said:

You could put him absolutely anywhere, bar perhaps centre-half, and he'd be solid (in the top flight!) Honestly don't think we've had as versatile a player before or since. Hugely underrated.

14 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

He’s working off shore now (I think) so I’d guess that he’s just making better money by not being a footballer.

6 hours ago, jaggyness said:

I happen to know that McBeth was recommended to Ayr at some point, maybe before he went to America, but by whom I don't know. Anyway, their loss is our gain

By Ryan Stevenson who was involved with Glenafton at the time 

22 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

Thistle mens teams have posted nothing about the womens team so you must be following the womens page as well 

CRASH! 🤓

Warning ⚠️ shite patter alert

Cover yer eyes everyone it's an emergency... to late.

Sorry guys, mince patter far a mince patter merchant.

Posted (edited)

First thought is that I can't make out any of the audio apart from Graham saying Thistle, don't know if that's deliberate or just my hearing. 

Edited by Fuctifano

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

First thought it that I can't make out any of the audio apart from Graham saying Thistle, don't know if that's deliberate or just my hearing. 

Also given that this year's away kit was a copy of the 2008/9 away kit, is that black and pink a copy of the 2014/15 away kit? 

I think he says “We live for the game, it’s in our blood, it’s in our strip, that’s what makes us Thistle”