The Partick Thistle thread

20 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

I am not completely disheartened, it is still early in the season, we have some new players getting used to the system, their team-mates, and we are not done in the transfer market. As others have said, we need a goalie, right back and striker at the least.

Agreed. It's easy to get carried away given the performance was so poor, but worth remembering it's the League Cup group stages where there's pretty much some kind of shock result every set of fixtures. Unfortunately last night it was us, and even more unfortunately it was against McCall. Still not worth losing the head over, though, even if it means qualification is probably unlikely at this point.

I'd imagine last night will be the wake up call to get a natural RB in the door, and considering the Mitchell injury situation a competent keeper as well.

Ashcroft had an all-time howler yesterday, but also worth noting that after signing for Raith in the winter window he only played 1 game for the rest of the season. So he's barely kicked a ball in a competitive game for close to 6 months and will need to get back up to speed. I'm not going to write him off yet.

Absolutely crying out for a natural right back. If we are still waiting on the maybe we have been given regarding Megwa it seems far too risky. Needing someone in the door asap. 

I would lean towards Mitchell being out longer than two weeks as injury timelines never seem to be the hopeful estimate given in Jagzone interviews. We may end up signing two keepers at this rate, one permanent signing and a loan depending how long Mitchell is out for.

6 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Are we running low on players to commemorate with the Thistle pins? Rough is certainly an interesting choice given his comments about the fans not too long ago.

I'd far rather have had a Tam Cerny one tbh.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Are we running low on players to commemorate with the Thistle pins? Rough is certainly an interesting choice given his comments about the fans not too long ago.

I guess the question is, as quoted from the film High Fidelity: “Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s.  Go.  Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?“

Don’t remember if the book quote is different, but the point stands either way.  Also similar to questions about listening to, watching, reading stuff by people who have subsequently said or done terrible things.  

9 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

I guess the question is, as quoted from the film High Fidelity: “Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s.  Go.  Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?“

Don’t remember if the book quote is different, but the point stands either way.  Also similar to questions about listening to, watching, reading stuff by people who have subsequently said or done terrible things.  

Rough Never Sleeps?

Prior to the commencement of this  season, McMillan aside, Doolan was pretty much  able to keep the players he wanted to keep, he also was able to bring players he wanted to bring in, maybe with the exception of Byrne. All of those players have, according to Doolan, improved the squad.

Although it shouldn’t be time to panic, last night’s failure to beat a team  ( regardless of who was managing them) which was so close to being relegated from the league last season, is verging on inexcusable.

Without doubt, this season will be a  ‘ coming of age ‘ for oor Dools. I hope I’m wrong but if we’re off the pace after the first quarter then we can kiss goodbye to winning the league.

Watching that last night it is clear that McBeth is far better suited to playing in defence. He shored up the defence last season, gives us more pace at the back and is also good at bringing the ball out from the back. If true that we are paying Ashcrost 1.7k a week then it makes that signing all the more baffling.

Clear that we still need a goalkeeper, an attacking right back, a backup left back, a holding midfielder and a backup striker. Doubtful that there's enough left in the budget to bring in another 5 players at this stage. Imagine Ashcroft, Muirhead, Bannigan and Crawford will offer little this season and have to hope having a proper right back will help Chalmers a bit.

5 minutes ago, Firhill5thrillz said:

Anybody clued in on the goalkeeper Adam Smith? Lad was with Morecambe last season and is being linked with us now. 

Yes. Sacked at Leicester for making a sex video whilst on a tour of Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Firhill5thrillz said:

Almost sure it is a fake link then. That is now twice this summer I have fallen for these ‘transfer rumour’ accounts on X.

I'd imagine we will be linked with a few goalies now.

2 hours ago, jagsfan2014 said:

Watching that last night it is clear that McBeth is far better suited to playing in defence. He shored up the defence last season, gives us more pace at the back and is also good at bringing the ball out from the back. If true that we are paying Ashcrost 1.7k a week then it makes that signing all the more baffling.

Clear that we still need a goalkeeper, an attacking right back, a backup left back, a holding midfielder and a backup striker. Doubtful that there's enough left in the budget to bring in another 5 players at this stage. Imagine Ashcroft, Muirhead, Bannigan and Crawford will offer little this season and have to hope having a proper right back will help Chalmers a bit.

I don’t think he’s been great in any of the three games so far, maybe it’ll take him so time to get back up to speed. 

1 minute ago, JudgeMudge said:

I don’t think he’s been great in any of the three games so far, maybe it’ll take him so time to get back up to speed. 

Aye, whilst never the quickest he hasn't played much football in 6 months as got injured on his debut for Raith, I think?

Doolan obviously wanting to give him minutes but his performance was not the best last night, to say the least.

Hopefully he puts it behind him though and we see much better from him going forward.

4 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Aye, whilst never the quickest he hasn't played much football in 6 months as got injured on his debut for Raith, I think?

Doolan obviously wanting to give him minutes but his performance was not the best last night, to say the least.

Hopefully he puts it behind him though and we see much better from him going forward.

Running in treacle at the second goal. 

5 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

You know what we need now, a new third strip announcement to cheer us up. As you know: Nice New Kit > Humbling from lower ranked local rivals.

Make it so....

A victory over Motherwell is what we need most surely