The Partick Thistle thread

Thursday 16th April, 2020 at 3:26pm

To be relegated at any time in a club’s life is, in a sporting context, an enormous setback. You accept your fate, because it was in your hands to change the outcome.

However, to be relegated in the arbitrary and unjust way we are currently experiencing, with no say in it, is heartbreaking for everyone at Partick Thistle, including staff and players and especially our fans.

We advised the SPFL on Tuesday of the joint counsel’s Opinion we had sought in relation to the validity – or not – of the Dundee FC vote cast last Friday.

To be clear, we did not threaten litigation, we sought clarity on the legal points raised.

We still regard this as a strong legal Opinion that raises significant issues around the whole process of the vote and related matters. Having taken further legal advice, we have been advised that we have the option to take this before a court. Instinctively, injustice demands reparation.

However, as a Club, the decision to relegate Thistle is first and foremost about our people and what this might mean for them. To pursue court action costs money and considerable time – so we have had to consider carefully whether both could be better spent on securing the Club’s future and protecting the livelihoods of those we employ. In deciding what our next steps should be, that was our first priority.

Thistle has always lived in the real world so we also looked at the bigger picture of the life-changing pandemic we find ourselves in. The resulting lockdown is challenging the very existence of some clubs. If we were to take this action to court, there is a risk that might stop the release of much-needed monies to those clubs on Friday.

That’s a step too far for us. Regardless of what’s been inflicted on Thistle, we can’t be responsible for pushing even one club to the brink. It would be hypocritical of us to have espoused “do no harm” as a reason why we shouldn’t be relegated and then do exactly that.

Taking all of that into account, although we stand by the legal Opinion, the Board has agreed that we will not seek “further remedy” against the SPFL in order to overturn the Resolution. Although we remain at a loss to understand why a decision was taken – at a time when Governments are seeking to support jobs across sectors – that will cause significant damage to Thistle and others.

Instead, we will focus our efforts and monies on Thistle and look forward, not back. That includes making a positive contribution to the discussions on possible changes to the league structures.

We aren’t looking for sympathy, we don’t need it. We are a well-run, debt-free club with a proud history of rolling with the punches. We may be down but we are not out. When football returns, we will be here, ready to play, regardless of the league we are in.

To our fans, we hope you understand why we have reached this decision. No one should regard this as a sign of weakness – it shows our strength and resolution to get through this despite relegation being forced on us. We aren’t doing what’s easy but we are doing what is right for our Club, our people and for clubs across Scotland. We are grateful for your solid support and encouragement – and when next we meet at Firhill, it will be to start the fightback to right this wrong.

🤷‍♂️

So the PTFC board are more concerned about getting money to the clubs that just voted to relegate us unfairly? Really? They vote us down and Low wants to make sure that they’re okay? FFS.

What an absolute shower. I won’t be back till Low and her cronies on the board are gone. Absolute disgrace.

Poor statement from the club unless they know something we don’t. I don’t think for a minute that whatever Budge throws at SPFL will get an 11/1 majority but don’t be surprised if somehow Hearts are still in the top league next season. It’s a total disgrace what’s happened here.

I very much doubt that the top league will kick off with 13 clubs - so if Hertz are in it (which they may not be), then it'd also have at least one more championship side.  I think they might go to 14 teams but still with one down and one playoff spot to placate the bottom half teams.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that we're not taking this to court - doing so could cost 6 figures, would have no guarantee of success (in fact would be a long shot), and would take a while.  I'm also not surprised that Jacqui's statement is so cringeworthy.  Needed even more boxing cliches IMO.

In two minds about the statement. I’d have quite liked us to go after the shambolic disgrace that is the SPFL, but understand why we wouldn’t want to chuck a bunch of money at something that may or may not actually make much difference to anything.

1 hour ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

What is 'sporting' about relegating a team that has played fewer games and would not be bottom if they won the game in hand.

I know the situation has to be resolved sometime, but the whole thing stinks. The Dundee fiasco is extremely suspect, who knows how many pieces of silver they have been promised.

I can picture the crooked boards trying to find a way to keep Hearts up too.

If reconstruction happens, we can be sure it will be a dug's dinner.

That's a pretty massive 'if,' considering they hadn't won any of their last 10 games. 

There was no entirely fair solution in this. Thistle were unfortunate to be bottom when play stopped, but they were bottom entirely on merit. And due to the pretty awful situation in which the season had to end, Thistle will be relegated by that merit. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

How has your club been ripped apart? All I can see is that you've been unlucky in a totally unprecedented situation. There's nothing sinister about it. You just happened to not be top when the global pandemic stopped football. Unless you mean to imply that COVID-19 was designed as some sort of mad conspiracy to deny Falkirk a shot at promotion?

Don't pretend Falkirk are some sort of beacon of morality here. They voted in their own interests, as did every other club. Where were Falkirk's morals over the hiring of Ray McKinnon?

Regarding the bit in bold, Falkirk were so desperate to reach the Premiership that they binned their academy, a big part of their identity as well, to chuck cash at the first team and ended up signing utter diddies, many of whom were presumably on high wages and certainly didn't turn up.

I can see why Falkirk fans were annoyed at past decisions that denied them promotion, and definitely have sympathy there. But you have not been denied promotion here. You've been denied a chance at it, and not because of any garbage elitist rules designed to keep teams out, but simple unprecedented circumstance.

Excellent post.

Spot on.

1. You could crowdfund all legal costs within 24 hours, thanks to The Blue PoundTM.

2. A Judicial Review would not take long.

3. Thistle are a shameful club run by cowards.  

(for the avoidance of doubt, Hearts are a shameful club run by imbeciles)

Every penny of my “football money” will be spent at my club from today onwards unless a favourable reconstruction comes through. Joined Centenary Draw last week, will get a season ticket tomorrow (haven’t had one since the 80s)  No more away games for me. Might be detrimental to the support of the players at away games but afraid I cannot give my money to certain teams. Exceptions are ICT, East Fife and all other NO voters. 

A reasonably sensible club statement.

Obviously they're 'at it' when they claim they wish to take it no further for fear of harming others, but we'll allow them that attempt at a dignified climbdown. 

I have to laugh though at the claims that the relegation was entirely "arbitrary". Thistle were not selected for this fate via a raffle.

4 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Every penny of my “football money” will be spent at my club from today onwards unless a favourable reconstruction comes through. Joined Centenary Draw last week, will get a season ticket tomorrow (haven’t had one since the 80s)  No more away games for me. Might be detrimental to the support of the players at away games but afraid I cannot give my money to certain teams. Exceptions are ICT, East Fife and all other NO voters. 

Shit.

I hope these clubs can survive such a step.

7 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

1. You could crowdfund all legal costs within 24 hours, thanks to The Blue PoundTM.

2. A Judicial Review would not take long.

3. Thistle are a shameful club run by cowards.  

(for the avoidance of doubt, Hearts are a shameful club run by imbeciles)

Would it be a judicial review?  Could be a simple breach of contract. 

1 minute ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Would it be a judicial review?  Could be a simple breach of contract. 

It would 100% be a judicial review. No idea where you're getting the breach of contract idea from, and tbh I don't really care. 

13 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

What if a club votes for reconstruction, but the motion doesn't pass. Will they be forgiven or stay on the naughty list? Does a club come off the naughty list if it changes ownership? Is there a time limit to the naughty list? 

Edited by SpoonTon

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

What if a club votes for reconstruction, but the motion doesn't pass? Will they be forgiven or stay on the naughty list? Does a club come off the naughty list if it changes ownership? It's there a time limit to the naughty list? 

Nope! I miss around three away games a season at most. Everything goes to Firhill now except the clubs I mentioned!

Edited by Sting777

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, I hadn't realised that you understood that, primarily because in a subsequent post, you mention ICT doing "the right thing".

That suggests strongly to me that you've little grasp of the motivations behind clubs' votes.

That's you being presumptive and making it up as you go along. See last post which I agree with you about clubs and fans motivations. Don't think it's that confusing