The Partick Thistle thread

We’ll be stuck at this level for years with Low and Gerry running things.

Plenty of time for her to continue churning out sob stories in a pathetic attempt to divert from her disgraceful running of the football club.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don’t know if you’ve heard mate but there’s precisely f**k all happening in Scottish football apart from a couple clubs moaning about relegation hence why I occasionally have a gander at most other clubs threads.

Luckily for me this is a multi club forum and there’s nothing stopping me from venturing down into the seaside leagues to read stuff.

I can think of literally a million things I’d rather do than scroll through threads of other clubs in lower divisions than my own club and some of them involve stabbing my own eyes with a rusty spoon.

We’re obviously just too box office for you.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Christ do Partick fans still think this is some sort of win for them because they took Ross Docherty off us?

Would have far more relevance if the majority of the teams in Scotland hadn’t voted to punt them back into the seaside leagues.

I actually thought initially he was talking about ‘captain’ figuratively - as in, Ian McCall, who was choking to leave Ayr for a bigger, iconic club. 

Ayr haven’t played in the Scottish top flight since the 70s and are petrified at the prospect of ever being promoted to it and having to deal with being there. Helpfully for them their ‘Golden Generation’ is already on the wane.

Is there really a material difference with the proposals? Is it simply because there would be 14 teams sharing prem prize money rather than 12?
Yes there is a material difference. They are dropping from guaranteed 3 games against the ugly sisters to 2. I'm certainly no fan of them but they generate income for clubs. Plus if you end up in the bottom 8, in the proposal you'll be playing more matches so things like appearance fees and goal bonuses for players are more likely to be incurred whilst having games against Livingston, Hamilton etc who won't cover your costs

50 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Is there really a material difference with the proposals? Is it simply because there would be 14 teams sharing prem prize money rather than 12?

Yes.

If there's 44 teams instead of 42 in the top four divisions that automatically means a different split of the prize money.

If there's 14 teams in the top flight they need to adjust the parachute payment structure.

If there's 14 teams in the top flight teams that previously would be guaranteed an average of 3 Old Firm crowds with the possibility of 4 will now have only 2 with the possibility of 4.

I think a 14 team top flight would be better for the Scottish game if structured right but let's not pretend it has no impact at all on clubs' business models. It clearly does.

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Plenty of time for her to continue churning out sob stories in a pathetic attempt to divert from her disgraceful running of the football club.

She's been terrible mostly, there's no doubt about that, but I don't think that was a sob story to divert from anything. She was making a statement to the rest of the league, before all clubs go to announce how they'll vote. Giving the other clubs, our take on it all. People rightly (in my opinion) criticise when the board don't speak, but then they end up criticising when they do. 

2 hours ago, milhouse said:

I actually thought initially he was talking about ‘captain’ figuratively - as in, Ian McCall, who was choking to leave Ayr for a bigger, iconic club. 

Ayr haven’t played in the Scottish top flight since the 70s and are petrified at the prospect of ever being promoted to it and having to deal with being there. Helpfully for them their ‘Golden Generation’ is already on the wane.

tenor.gif?itemid=4276108

3 hours ago, milhouse said:

Ayr are quite happy to stay mid-top Championship,(although I expect that might be hard, if they lose a few more of their better players, plus no McCall), which is fair enough, but you'd certainly rather the in their position at the moment, than the one we find ourselves in, no question about it. 

12 hours ago, milhouse said:

If only Alan Forrest hadn't dived, you would be safely in the championship for the 20/21 season. :wub:

13 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

Can someone please explain the self-interest for clubs in voting against the current proposal? What’s the benefit?

Given the way that prize money is distributed, Championship clubs would be voting away around one third of the prize money pot for the division. Low is asking Championship clubs to vote to be significantly worse off than they would have been otherwise and is either too ignorant to realise that or too caught up in her own self-interest to care. 

Given the way that prize money is distributed, Championship clubs would be voting away around one third of the prize money pot for the division. Low is asking Championship clubs to vote to be significantly worse off than they would have been otherwise and is either too ignorant to realise that or too caught up in her own self-interest to care. 

Surely it is the total amount of prize money that’s important - not the %.
There is a new sky deal from this season which is significantly higher than previously.

44 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Surely it is the total amount of prize money that’s important - not the %.
There is a new sky deal from this season which is significantly higher than previously.

No. Even then you're still asking Championship clubs to lower the prize pot. So not only are you asking some clubs to vote themselves out of the benefits of the new deal for the entirety of the deal, you're also asking them to accept overall prize money which would still be lower under the new deal than it was previously. 

Make no mistake, despite the rhetoric, Low is asking something very big of other clubs.