The Partick Thistle thread

Just a suggestion (goes against McCall’s idea of McKenna being a regular RB) but would McKenna as a fairly decent ball-playing CB with a bit of pace not be better option next to Bell than O’Ware (who’s presumably not even back to full fitness yet)?

Rushing players back from injuries was one of the top 2 or 3 things that McCall did that bugged the life out me.

12 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Would be more confusing if we were playing him left wing to be fair.

Also not the worst centre back that started today, which is a major worry.

I still think of him as a central midfielder I guess but I am fairly shocked he’s still involved with a Championship club.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I still think of him as a central midfielder I guess but I am fairly shocked he’s still involved with a Championship club.

He’s been playing as a CB for the past couple of years. He was very good for us last season and we didn’t concede a goal for over 500 minutes from when he first came into the side. But that was League One, and as yesterday highlighted yet again, there’s a pretty big step up in quality between the divisions.

I think everyone was pretty happy with signing him as a 3rd/4th option at CB, but ideally wouldn’t want to see him start every week. And yesterday confirmed those suspicions to be justified.

10 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Just a suggestion (goes against McCall’s idea of McKenna being a regular RB) but would McKenna as a fairly decent ball-playing CB with a bit of pace not be better option next to Bell than O’Ware (who’s presumably not even back to full fitness yet)?

McCall seems to rate O'Ware highly. His pre-match interview suggested that the League Cup matches are preparation for the league.

The other issue is can Bell (now 36 and part-time) start regularly in the Championship? He said that he left Ayr last year because he could not work and train full-time.

47 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

McCall seems to rate O'Ware highly. His pre-match interview suggested that the League Cup matches are preparation for the league.

The other issue is can Bell (now 36 and part-time) start regularly in the Championship? He said that he left Ayr last year because he could not work and train full-time.

My prediction is he will be gone at next transfer window.

49 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

You guys had Leon Jones on trial didn't you? I assume nothing came of it in terms of offering a deal? 

Played 45 mins trial against Kelty, was quite ropey looking and got a yellow card for a foul about a minute into the 2nd half. He then vanished so assume trial failed.

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

McCall has always rated O’Ware extremely highly, bizarrely as his performances have never merited any great rating. I don’t expect McKenna to take his place in all honestly, but it is what I’d be looking to try. 

Bell shouldn’t really be playing too regularly but needs must, unless we get another Centre-back in or Brownlie isn’t out for that long. Either way on yesterday’s showing a Bell/O’Ware partnership doesn’t seem to work. 

5 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

My prediction is he will be gone at next transfer window.

Bell seemed a bit reluctant to return to the Championship.

Like Erskine and Paton, he was happy to sign for East Kilbride before the pandemic killed off the Lowland League's season.

If Bell struggles with the step back up, he could leave in this window for a club in a lower league.

3 hours ago, third lanark said:

McKenna didn’t put a foot wrong against Rangers - should be starting ahead of either Bell, oware or foster.  Wasn’t impressed with Holt either yesterday 

Agreed. McKenna should play at CB, his natural and best position. Similarly, Niang should go back to playing in midfield. Montrose's fans rated him highly as a box to box midfielder under Petrie. The squad looks thin atm. We need a left-sided CB, ideally another CB, cover for both full-backs, a winger/attacking midfielder and a striker. 

17 hours ago, JagsCG said:

McKenna didnt "profile" well defensively as a League One CB last season.

McKenna.thumb.png.c3e1df8ead7311199bc7f61904695822.png

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McKenna didnt "profile" well defensively as a League One CB last season.

McKenna.thumb.png.c3e1df8ead7311199bc7f61904695822.png

No idea how these stats are generated, but based on watching him last season I’d say he spent 95%+ of his time on the pitch as a RB.

So if you’re trying to judge him as a CB based on stats he gained while playing as a RB, that doesn’t really work.

From simply watching him every week - he’s a CB who happens to be getting selected at RB every week.

4 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Played 45 mins trial against Kelty, was quite ropey looking and got a yellow card for a foul about a minute into the 2nd half. He then vanished so assume trial failed.

Cheers. Shame as he's a decent player I think, was hoping he'd get a deal.  

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

No idea how these stats are generated, but based on watching him last season I’d say he spent 95%+ of his time on the pitch as a RB.

So if you’re trying to judge him as a CB based on stats he gained while playing as a RB, that doesn’t really work.

It sorts it itself tbh, I just searched for McKenna as a CB. Heres his FB profile.

Which backs up your point really, as hes strong defensively for a FB but poor attacking wise.

McKenna.thumb.png.db308082793ad14d02878778b3d8e203.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It sorts it itself tbh, I just searched for McKenna as a CB. Heres his FB profile.

Which backs up your point really, as hes strong defensively for a FB but poor attacking wise.

McKenna.thumb.png.db308082793ad14d02878778b3d8e203.png

But how does it “sort itself?” - does it monitor all his minutes at that specific position and then generate those stats from the time he spent as a CB? Or is it just his time on the pitch in general which are tracked?

Becaise if a guy spends 20 games playing at RB, surely his stats will be more suited to those of a RB rather than a CB? Even if he is more naturally a CB than a RB.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

He started 1 League game I think (not sure about no. of cup games) at CB the whole of last season, and that was the opening day loss to Clyde. He then was out injured for ages, returned around mid-December I think and has played at RB ever since. He looked very assured at CB in pre-season last season if I remember rightly, and as has been said at RB looks like a CB that’s been put there.

ETA: So if the CB stats are literally judging him on only one match in that position in a game where everyone was awful then they’re a bit meaningless. 

Edited by JagsCG

20 hours ago, JudgeMudge said:

Rudden is developing into a great prospect but is there a players who commits more silly fouls? Every time he gives the ball away, he fouls, as if to compensate. 

I wonder where he could have learned that