The Partick Thistle thread

I really think it’s an out and out winger we require rather than a Smith/Turner who’re best centrally but forced out wide. Obviously it comes down to availability though. 

Still don’t see Zak going unless Dundee properly cough up a decent fee - they’re capable of doing that perhaps. 
(Bit concerned that McCall is unsure whether to include Rudden in the squad tomorrow though, maybe thinking his head has been turned?). 

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19879713.ian-mccall-expects-zak-rudden-talks-dundee-go-wire/

Sounds like Rudden will go, as expected. Might need to wait for that to happen before any incomings. 

Sevco reportedly negotiated a sell-on clause in Rudden's deal two years ago.

That could be a factor in whether he goes to Dundee over the weekend.

45 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I really think it’s an out and out winger we require rather than a Smith/Turner who’re best centrally but forced out wide. Obviously it comes down to availability though. 

Still don’t see Zak going unless Dundee properly cough up a decent fee - they’re capable of doing that perhaps. 
(Bit concerned that McCall is unsure whether to include Rudden in the squad tomorrow though, maybe thinking his head has been turned?). 

I agree about the winger. Rudden should be on the bench at least.

If we accept a bid, we can drop him off in Dundee for his medical.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

I assume if we’re dropping Rudden that we’ll be going with the Docherty-Bannigan-Crawford midfield, with Smith and Tiffoney supporting Graham in front. I don’t actually have an issue with that as both times we’ve played Arbroath we’ve been completely overrun so that should provide a bit more solidity at least, and the midfield 3 did fairly well against Killie. 

I’d like him on the bench at least though, as only having MacIver as a striking option to “change things” isn’t really a great position to be in.

This is all on the assumption that we don’t get anyone in before tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

I mean, he has already signed for them so I'd imagine if it was up to Rudden he would rather go now. Its fairly understandable if he isnt fully focused on the weekend's game, especially if Thistle are (rightfully) playing hard ball with a fee.

A semi-focused Rudden is a much better option that MacIver though, so get him on the bench at least.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19879713.ian-mccall-expects-zak-rudden-talks-dundee-go-wire/

Sounds like Rudden will go, as expected. Might need to wait for that to happen before any incomings. 

Only problem with that is what happens if Dundee only agree a decent fee on monday night at say 11pm then theres no time left to use the money to sign any decent players.

13 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I mean, he has already signed for them so I'd imagine if it was up to Rudden he would rather go now.

Sure, but it isn’t. He has to accept if we don’t get a fee for him that is of a certain standard then we’re unlikely to accept an early move. He’ll already be well aware of that. 

13 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Its fairly understandable if he isnt fully focused on the weekend's game, especially if Thistle are (rightfully) playing hard ball with a fee.

A semi-focused Rudden is a much better option that MacIver though, so get him on the bench at least.

I don’t disagree, whether he’s on the bench tomorrow or not, may give us an indication of where everything is at. 

Edited by JagsCG

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Only for domestic loans.

Outright signings and international loans / signings would need done by Monday night.

Domestic loan to permanent deals are another option and free agents can sign any time.

After Dundee's role in our relegation, Rudden should only go if the fee is substantial and a decent replacement is lined up.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

25 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Domestic loan to permanent deals are another option and free agents can sign any time.

After Dundee's role in our relegation, Rudden should only go if the fee is substantial and a decent replacement is lined up.

You don't need the window to be open to convert a domestic loan to permanent. And there aren't many match fit free agents in January / February. Realistically if Rudden departs late on Monday your only source for replacement is a domestic loan and then only if you have unused loan space (no idea how many you have on loan now?).

So you value pretty vengeance higher than the good of the club? What Dundee did in the past should have no influence on our response to any offer.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Realistically if Rudden departs late on Monday your only source for replacement is a domestic loan and then only if you have unused loan space (no idea how many you have on loan now?).

We only have 1 player at the club on-loan (Lewis Mayo) I think. 

On 28/01/2022 at 16:33, DiegoDiego said:

So you value pretty vengeance higher than the good of the club? What Dundee did in the past should have no influence on our response to any offer.

That's not petty.

What I'D  do would be to string them along until the window is nearly closed, then say 'nah, we'll just keep him till the end of the season thanks'

Petty? Yes ,but I don't care.

And we're not going to gain or lose anything substantial here, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

On 28/01/2022 at 16:33, DiegoDiego said:

Petty vengeance would be blocking Rudden's move tomorrow. Letting him go for a modest fee would be poor business. It would also help a potential play-offs opponent.

Here a bit from McCall's recent BBC interview with Tom English

"Winning League 1 was a big moment in the healing process from two summers ago. Famously, the club informed the SPFL executive [Neil Doncaster and Murdoch MacLennan] that they were weren't welcome at the title flag day.

"The board backed me on that albeit I think I said it on Sportsound before I'd actually consulted the board, but they were happy. We felt it was the right thing to do. To be honest, I felt a bit uneasy that they [the SPFL hierarchy] felt it was still okay to come. They had a lack of foresight about what they'd actually done.

"I've said before that if we manage to do something this season then they can come in. I'll have nothing to do with them and I'm not sure many of my board will either, but we won't stop them. They'll be brave people to come into Firhill with 10,000 in it, though."

Is that petty vengeance too? IMHO we should not forget the damage that relegation did and who was responsible for it.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Petty vengeance would be blocking Rudden's move tomorrow. Letting him go for a modest fee would be poor business. It would also help a potential play-offs opponent.

Here a bit from McCall's recent BBC interview with Tom English

"Winning League 1 was a big moment in the healing process from two summers ago. Famously, the club informed the SPFL executive [Neil Doncaster and Murdoch MacLennan] that they were weren't welcome at the title flag day.

"The board backed me on that albeit I think I said it on Sportsound before I'd actually consulted the board, but they were happy. We felt it was the right thing to do. To be honest, I felt a bit uneasy that they [the SPFL hierarchy] felt it was still okay to come. They had a lack of foresight about what they'd actually done.

"I've said before that if we manage to do something this season then they can come in. I'll have nothing to do with them and I'm not sure many of my board will either, but we won't stop them. They'll be brave people to come into Firhill with 10,000 in it, though."

Is that petty vengeance too? IMHO we should not forget the damage that relegation did and who was responsible for it.

:lol: