The Partick Thistle thread

6 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Despite their defeat yesterday we likely will have to be better than we were against Peterhead if we want to take anything from the game at Tannadice. With no new signings expected before that match and Robinson & McMillan likely to still be out, it will probably be the same team (barring an issue with Bannigan). 

Bannigan was at the Minor Injuries clinic this morning. On crutches, with a moon boot. Think he might be out for a few weeks…

Edited by Kempes

24 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Bannigan was at the Minor Injuries clinic this morning. On crutches, with a moon boot. Think he might be out for a few weeks…

That’s disappointing. Looks like we’ll be going with an even less experienced midfield on Tuesday (and possibly Saturday) then. Just further emphasises the need for a few reinforcements, but a good opportunity for the young boys all the same. 

Bannigan injury not as bad as first thought according to Doolan, although didn’t offer a timeframe on his return. McMillan and Robinson to resume training this week so should be back available for Saturday. 

On 16/07/2023 at 18:17, Kempes said:

Maybe not! Glad to hear he is fit for this game. 

Williamson is a good signing, wears his heart on his sleeve which can cause trouble but he's a battler who's never shy on or off the ball. Also good with his feet, I genuinely think he could be a winger he was that good at beating players with little room to get into the box. I think this is the right kind of signing for Partick, surprised the loan is only until January.

30 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Zander MacKenzie was really solid tonight. He looks like he can maybe be the cover at right back if needed? 

I didn't think he was man of the match as McMann got past him quite a few times but never put in a good final ball.

However he did play very well considering his age and being out of position and looked class when he had the ball himself. 

Hard to read too much into these games, doubt they would have subbed off Watt and Sibbald in a league game but no one failed tonight, Williams was really good defensively but will obviously need to cut out errors like the pass that led to their goal. 

Fitzy was really enjoyable tonight, if he can stay fit for the whole season he'll tear it up, looked a bit leaner as well. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I didn't think he was man of the match as McMann got past him quite a few times but never put in a good final ball.

However he did play very well considering his age and being out of position and looked class when he had the ball himself. 

Hard to read too much into these games, doubt they would have subbed off Watt and Sibbald in a league game but no one failed tonight, Williams was really good defensively but will obviously need to cut out errors like the pass that led to their goal. 

Fitzy was really enjoyable tonight, if he can stay fit for the whole season he'll tear it up, looked a bit leaner as well. 

Amazingly disagree with just about everything you just said.. I thought McKenzie was outstanding and that Lawless actually let him down because he was blowing out his arse half the night (on the ball lawless was very good) 

Thought Williams like you said done the basics defensively well.. bit I thought him and also Fitzy looked lazy tonight. Still such a nothing game but those 2 weren’t at it for me.

The shift Big Graham put in tonight even after his sitter miss stole the show for me.. Fought for everything and  never gave United a break. 

Doolan has something here.

8 minutes ago, Thistle4eva said:

Amazingly disagree with just about everything you just said.. I thought McKenzie was outstanding and that Lawless actually let him down because he was blowing out his arse half the night (on the ball lawless was very good) 

Thought Williams like you said done the basics defensively well.. bit I thought him and also Fitzy looked lazy tonight. Still such a nothing game but those 2 weren’t at it for me.

The shift Big Graham put in tonight even after his sitter miss stole the show for me.. Fought for everything and  never gave United a break. 

Doolan has something here.

I agree that Lawless could have backed him up better, but MacKenzie did get skinned a few times by either the United LW or LB and in the first half got drawn inside a lot leaving them an out ball. That's not a massive criticism as he's a 17 year old playing out of position, was generally very good in possession and came onto a game defensively- but IMO he wasn't the best player on the park tonight (Graham for me, their CB could have easily picked up 2 bookings before he got his first)

I thought Fitzy second half had one of his better games with carrying the ball and decision making rather than just head down and blasting it, still a bit of a worry he's cramping after 80 minutes but hopefully he'll get there.

44 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I agree that Lawless could have backed him up better, but MacKenzie did get skinned a few times by either the United LW or LB and in the first half got drawn inside a lot leaving them an out ball. That's not a massive criticism as he's a 17 year old playing out of position, was generally very good in possession and came onto a game defensively- but IMO he wasn't the best player on the park tonight (Graham for me, their CB could have easily picked up 2 bookings before he got his first)

I thought Fitzy second half had one of his better games with carrying the ball and decision making rather than just head down and blasting it, still a bit of a worry he's cramping after 80 minutes but hopefully he'll get there.

Sorry a was more trying to point out how differently we can take things from a game, not criticising your opinion. 

I would have gave Graham Motm also.. Proper captains performance, but playing out of position at 17 years old and out with a few mistakes I really thought McKenzie was great tonight.

Thought Lawless really struggled to help him tonight defensively and the shift Zander put in to accommodate for it merited his MOTM.

Fitzy looked more like his before play  offs form to me, but I have no doubt he will improve.

Edited by Thistle4eva

I thought all the boys done well & some very good as we all know a lot of these boys will be dropped when the squad gets beefed up over the next couple of weeks but it certainly bodes well for the future that these modern apprentices / graduates can step in when called upon under Doolan. I personally think the future is looking good, imo I would rather nurture our own lads if they're ready rather than paying big wages on "experienced" players. Let's have a mixture of both

Good shift all round and as Dools alluded to in his post Match analysis there plenty of learning still going on with Williams and BBG being the classic examples of settling in well after their respective howlers

11 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Spot on assessment, this could be Fitzy's year. Should be best player in the championship, has all the attributes if his attitude is right he'll be head and shoulders above the rest.