The Partick Thistle thread

Most of the post-United updates now in place on the Archive...

The Thistle Archive →

:detective:  FIRST CUP WIN IN 48 YEARS

● 21-year-old Ben Williamson makes his Thistle debut. At the time of writing he brings our club connections with Dundee and Raith Rovers to exactly 100 each!
● Amazingly, Thistle have now scored in THIRTEEN consecutive first halves. It's the longest such run since March 1938, when an impressive 14-in-a-row was registered, and the third longest run of all-time.
● With his 53rd goal, the amazing Brian Graham now enters the All-Time Top 40 scorers in terms of competitive action.
● Thistle defeat Dundee United in a cup match for the first time since 1975, when they also won 2-1 in a League Cup group game at Tannadice. That was actually the last year that the Jags reached the semi final stage of the competition.
● With only 2 defeats in 21 competitive games, Kris Doolan is wildly out in front with the greatest points-per-game ratio (2.05) of any Thistle manager in history, ahead of McNamara (1.62) and Meiklejohn (1.47).

ongoing sequences:
● 8 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 8 games; 3rd Mar 2020 to 5th Dec 2020. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 30 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

Good to draw another line under the previous regime. 

Personally, I wish Gerry all the best in his new endeavours but I hope we can get a new CEO who can move the club forward. 

I have always found Gerry personable and approachable in any dealings I have had with him and wish him all the best in any future endeavours.He was a great player for the club and helped steer the Club through a very difficult time and that is how I am going to remember him .I hope to see him in and around Firhill in the future and hope he is shown some respect and a warm welcome .

2 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

I have always found Gerry personable and approachable in any dealings I have had with him and wish him all the best in any future endeavours.He was a great player for the club and helped steer the Club through a very difficult time and that is how I am going to remember him .I hope to see him in and around Firhill in the future and hope he is shown some respect and a warm welcome .

This for me. I know he was a supporter of low, but I've got too much goodwill for the big man to have that matter too much.

He was a superb player in a couple of beloved Jags teams over the years and the 2002 team is my favourite ever Thistle team, so I also wish him nowt but the best. 

Ultimately Britton was an employee of the club and any 'support' of Low has to be seen from that perspective. I'm sure he made his mistakes in his time at the club but he was there through some pretty difficult times to be running a football club and has done a pretty decent job of ensuring the managers have been supported in getting a decent team on the park. I'd be interested to know what his major failings are considered to be (Low association aside).

There’s no doubting Gerry has disappointed fans at times during his period as CEO (even prior to the Low fan ownership stuff) and received some deserved criticism for that but I’ve never really heard anyone say that he’s been anything other than approachable to fans, he’s well liked by those who’ve been in his company, and I genuinely believe he mostly tried his best for the club. He was extremely important to the day-to-day running so he will definitely need to be replaced. 

13 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Ultimately Britton was an employee of the club and any 'support' of Low has to be seen from that perspective. I'm sure he made his mistakes in his time at the club but he was there through some pretty difficult times to be running a football club and has done a pretty decent job of ensuring the managers have been supported in getting a decent team on the park. I'd be interested to know what his major failings are considered to be (Low association aside).

Being involved with the Gary Caldwell appointment has got to be up there. Also in the releasing of Doolan without a chance to say goodbye to the fans. 

I agree largely with what you say though. He has probably done more right than wrong as CEO but the support of Low and all the carry on she got up to is a definite black mark against his name for me. 

14 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Being involved with the Gary Caldwell appointment has got to be up there. Also in the releasing of Doolan without a chance to say goodbye to the fans. 

I agree largely with what you say though. He has probably done more right than wrong as CEO but the support of Low and all the carry on she got up to is a definite black mark against his name for me. 

I heard Gerry was against the Caldwell appointment. GC seemed to be JLow's guy. 

But you would assume he'd have some say. 

59 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I suppose the only way he could show that he didn’t support Low was to resign. How many people actually do that ?

There have been numerous f**k-ups under Britton's watch, whether he was directly responsible for them or not.

In a rough chronological order, we've had:
- The dire financial situation last season, as a consequence of a playing budget which should never have been authorised
- The ticketing farce for the Ayr United playoff game
- Renting out the stadium to Queens Park (apparently directly against the advice of the club's ground staff)
- The entire Gary Caldwell episode which saw club legends unceremoniously and unnecessarily shown the door, and was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish

I believe he was also involved/active in putting together the farcical PTFC Trust "fan ownership" episode, which in doing so was an attempt to block the club from truly becoming a fan-owned entity. He wanted to keep Jacqui Low in power and block TJF from gaining a meaningful stake in the football club.

All the while, being paid handsomely for the privilege of this collection of incompetence and/or negligence.

I'm not sure why Gerry is being afforded the get out clause that it was all big bad Jacqui and his hands were tied. He was the Chief Executive of the football club, ffs.

Gerry Britton was a great player for Partick Thistle. Subsequently he was a poor manager, and recently an even worse CEO. I'll always have respect for what he did as a player, but anyone trying to paint his resignation as anything other than a positive thing for our football club just isn't seeing things clearly.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

There have been numerous f**k-ups under Britton's watch, whether he was directly responsible for them or not.

In a rough chronological order, we've had:
- The dire financial situation last season, as a consequence of a playing budget which should never have been authorised
- The ticketing farce for the Ayr United playoff game
- Renting out the stadium to Queens Park (apparently directly against the advice of the club's ground staff)
- The entire Gary Caldwell episode which saw club legends unceremoniously and unnecessarily shown the door, and was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish

I believe he was also involved/active in putting together the farcical PTFC Trust "fan ownership" episode, which in doing so was an attempt to block the club from truly becoming a fan-owned entity. He wanted to keep Jacqui Low in power and block TJF from gaining a meaningful stake in the football club.

All the while, being paid handsomely for the privilege of this collection of incompetence and/or negligence.

I'm not sure why Gerry is being afforded the get out clause that it was all big bad Jacqui and his hands were tied. He was the Chief Executive of the football club, ffs.

Gerry Britton was a great player for Partick Thistle. Subsequently he was a poor manager, and recently an even worse CEO. I'll always have respect for what he did as a player, but anyone trying to paint his resignation as anything other than a positive thing for our football club just isn't seeing things clearly.

You forgot about the players' contracts last season not covering the full season up to the play-off final

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

7 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

You forgot about the players' contracts last season not covering the full season up to the play-off final

Good shout. There are probably plenty more that I haven't listed as they didn't immediately spring to mind.

Maybe some of these things were his direct responsibility, maybe they weren't. At the end of the day a lot of questionable things have happened at our club in the last few years under his watch, so as nice a guy as he might be, and as good a player as he once was, we can and should be doing better.