The Partick Thistle thread

58 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Connor Smith of Hearts on your wish list? 

Doubtful, only due to our numbers in midfield already as he’s a good player IMO.

32 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Would be a great signing- but I thought he was away to Hamilton?

According to the papers today, Accies had a bid accepted weeks ago for him but the player doesn’t want to go to League 1, so it’s not happening.

Edited by JagsCG

On 13/08/2023 at 10:49, Hank Scorpio said:

Hi guys. In August last year Ross McLean - a very good friend’s brother - committed suicide in Glenrothes. Ross was reported missing on August 14 and we searched for him for 5 days, before finding him at rest in a quiet wooded area near his home. Ross’ family are understandably devastated by their loss and that they were unable to help Ross, but are determined that for others in a similar position, there is help available. 

Ross was and his family are East Fife supporters, so we will be taking part in a charity 11s game to celebrate Ross’ life at Bayview a week today, with all funds raised for the fantastic charity - Back Onside. A just giving page has already raised nearly £5,000, and we have managed to secure signed strips for a number of clubs, Thistle being one. The strip is available below, and all money raised will go to Back Onside to help those who need it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364414703780?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=az5yphsksue&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ec0uwzxiswu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There is also a donations page, if you’d like to donate anything:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/matchforross

The auctions end on Sunday morning. The Thistle strip is currently at £71.

On 12/08/2023 at 22:52, Its not only a game said:

😂😂- think your problem staring you in  the face - a football legend at the club but way out his depth as a manager!- watched him last season in the play- off final - rabbit in headlights…..

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

How many times have we seen club legends often with little experience being appointed manager and failing. Rangers- Greig, McCoist,-Celtic Hay- Aberdeen Miller- Dundee Utd -Sturrock.

We have seen the movie before. Not Doolan’s fault - who wouldn’t take the job of the club you played and supported. The fault lies with Diddy, Niave - Directors.

Edited by Its not only a game
Correction

Not a great showing against Hearts today.  We sat back and let them come at us - and we conceded as a consequence.  The only danger for Hearts came from occassional forays up the wings, but Aidan Fitzpatrick cut a lonely figure towards the end of the match.  

Trying to play out from the back is a noble aim, but it's not really working.  We need to move the ball quickly and run at the opposition - play to our strengths, in other words.  It's easy to forget Kris Doolan is a relatively new manager and is still learning.  He's a decent man, and I hope he can sort things out.

58 minutes ago, chattyman said:

Between us and Arbroath for automatic drop i think

Agree, when you are skint, alot of the time the worst thing you can do is not spend as get demoted and guarantee you are skint for longer.

Need to spend money to make money. Think the priority this year is to stay up.

1 hour ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Agree, when you are skint, alot of the time the worst thing you can do is not spend as get demoted and guarantee you are skint for longer.

Skint?  I think our budget would be at least top 4 or 5 in the division.  It’s some of the players it’s being spent that I am finding concerning 

35 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Skint?  I think our budget would be at least top 4 or 5 in the division.  It’s some of the players it’s being spent that I am finding concerning 

Supposedly we are...

Can't be bothered for anymore than that as no doubt corected.

If paying towards jags foundation I hope we are skint.

Send you letters of concern plus a£5 reading allowance to The Wyre Stadium at Firhill, 80 Firhill Rd, Glasgow G20 7AL.

3 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Supposedly we are...

Can't be bothered for anymore than that as no doubt corected.

If paying towards jags foundation I hope we are skint.

Send you letters of concern plus a£5 reading allowance to The Wyre Stadium at Firhill, 80 Firhill Rd, Glasgow G20 7AL.

Can you clarify that?🤪

12 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

I might be wrong, but I think with the way the ownership is set up we need to break even at least - so spending our way out of trouble isn’t an option.

11 hours ago, third lanark said:

Skint?

You will recall that TJF pointed out back in June that, even with our pledge of additional funds to the Club for this season, it would be necessary to generate at least £500k of completely new investment to fully address the cashflow and issues while maintaining a competitive team on the park. Whilst the Club is working on that stream of activity, that new investment has not (yet) been delivered.

Fans should not be under the impression that our financial situation has been solved. It hasn't. It has been only partially ameliorated.

53 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I might be wrong, but I think with the way the ownership is set up we need to break even at least - so spending our way out of trouble isn’t an option.

Regardless of the ownership situation it is unsustainable for any football club to run at operating losses. This would be no less true for Thistle if it were fan owned as if it were in private ownership. If a private owner was unwilling to (find a way to) underwrite the overspend, you'd be in exactly the same position.

There is a specific issue around the PTFC Trust and its shareholding, which means that a tax charge potentially could apply if the Club does not break even by the tenth anniversary of its creation (ie in 2025). However that's a slightly separate matter.

13 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

With signings the calibre of Adeloye, McInroy and Neilson added along with retaining Fitzpatrick and extending Milne's contract, it's hard to argue a lack of investment in the playing squad as an issue. Even with the number of big name departures that's a squad which, on paper, everyone other than Dundee United would be happy to have.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

With signings the calibre of Adeloye, McInroy and Neilson added along with retaining Fitzpatrick and extending Milne's contract, it's hard to argue a lack of investment in the playing squad as an issue. Even with the number of big name departures that's a squad which, on paper, everyone other than Dundee United would be happy to have.

That’s a very fair point.

There's a lot of knicker wetting going on over on Facebook (I know). I'm not going to dress up yesterday or last weekend's results as anything other than poor. I do think we have the basis of a squad to at least be in the hunt for the promotion play offs. That's not to say I don't think Doolan's signing policy is without fault. McInroy I think will be a great signing, Adeloye will be OK too I imagine. However I would ask questions over the signing of Alston and Robinson. The former as I don't think we needed him and the latter as he's seemingly a permacrock. We definitely need a destructive/defensively minded midfielder and another centre half, preferably one who is an upgrade on both Williams and Muirhead 

4 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

There's a lot of knicker wetting going on over on Facebook (I know). I'm not going to dress up yesterday or last weekend's results as anything other than poor. I do think we have the basis of a squad to at least be in the hunt for the promotion play offs. That's not to say I don't think Doolan's signing policy is without fault. McInroy I think will be a great signing, Adeloye will be OK too I imagine. However I would ask questions over the signing of Alston and Robinson. The former as I don't think we needed him and the latter as he's seemingly a permacrock. We definitely need a destructive/defensively minded midfielder and another centre half, preferably one who is an upgrade on both Williams and Muirhead 

Same thing is happening on Twitter. Without wanting to pretend that yesterday was good, there’s claims of it being an all-time worst performance which is laughable. The 3-0 against Raith last season was worse, as was the 4-0 at home to Hamilton the season before. That’s just off the top of my head.

I missed the Airdrie game, but we looked very good against Dundee United in the cup, and were the better side for most of the game against Raith I think. I don’t think we’re going to be getting the defensive midfielder, unfortunately, but another centre half is a must. I also think that Neilson is likely better than both Muirhead and Williams already, so get him in the team. 

19 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I'm certainly not wetting my knickers but I've supported Thistle a very long time and I've seen this movie many times before. 

Regardless of the quality (or lack of quality) in the squad, the team is lacking cohesion, confidence and desire. The last one is most worrying as I can take being outplayed by the opposition but not being outfought. 

A few wins may change things but, at the moment, that is difficult to see happening.

11 minutes ago, Jag71 said:

I'm certainly not wetting my knickers but I've supported Thistle a very long time and I've seen this movie many times before. 

Regardless of the quality (or lack of quality) in the squad, the team is lacking cohesion, confidence and desire. The last one is most worrying as I can take being outplayed by the opposition but not being outfought. 

A few wins may change things but, at the moment, that is difficult to see happening.

Yep I completely agree the last of those is the most worrying. I remember back in the day saying I could pick 11 folk out the crowd who'd show more desire than those on the park. I think other than Graham we're lacking leadership, someone who gets games and the squad by the scruff of the neck and drags everyone else up