The Partick Thistle thread

17 minutes ago, Reid said:

Those names mentioned would be good additions. Wonder if we may even try and tempt Tiffoney back too. A DM has to be the priority though.

I really couldn’t care less about Tiffoney. He’s made of glass, and we do fine without him. Turner is possibly as close to Docherty as you might find. 

There are more intangible reasons for choosing to attend Firhill than it's location, which I like.   I always thought  Partick Thistle must be cool because my favourite-ever footballer, Alan Hansen, played for them.  My best position was central defence and I insisted on wearing the number six shirt.  Now, I think I am losing my mind because I am ordering a book published in 1987, that a teenage me borrowed from the library, to read Alan's Jag thoughts.  I don't even recall if there are any in there so will treat myself to a copy of The Jags by Ian Archer, just in case.  If you remember Joe-90, I wish I could download Scottish football history. 

On a more contemporary note, the whole DM/centre-mid thing baffles me now.  I see all kinds of comments like you need three in midfield or you wil be over-run, you need legs in there etc.  I just hope we can get someone in who:

1.  Reads the game and doesn't just  "put themselves about"

2.  Can dictate the tempo and calm things down, to reduce everyone's anxiety

3.  Can "assert" themselves without getting booked 

It is a difficult position so I will see if I can find out any more about the names suggested by others.  Sounds like a few irons in the fire., though...

43 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

There are more intangible reasons for choosing to attend Firhill than it's location, which I like.   I always thought  Partick Thistle must be cool because my favourite-ever footballer, Alan Hansen, played for them.  My best position was central defence and I insisted on wearing the number six shirt.  Now, I think I am losing my mind because I am ordering a book published in 1987, that a teenage me borrowed from the library, to read Alan's Jag thoughts.  I don't even recall if there are any in there so will treat myself to a copy of The Jags by Ian Archer, just in case.  If you remember Joe-90, I wish I could download Scottish football history. 

On a more contemporary note, the whole DM/centre-mid thing baffles me now.  I see all kinds of comments like you need three in midfield or you wil be over-run, you need legs in there etc.  I just hope we can get someone in who:

1.  Reads the game and doesn't just  "put themselves about"

2.  Can dictate the tempo and calm things down, to reduce everyone's anxiety

3.  Can "assert" themselves without getting booked 

It is a difficult position so I will see if I can find out any more about the names suggested by others.  Sounds like a few irons in the fire., though...

You’ve just described Stuart Bannigan 

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

We're also at our max of 5 domestic loans (Williamson, Neilson, Ngwenya, McGinley, McInroy) so at least one of them will have to go if we're loaning from another Scottish club. 

McGinley is definitely away. Williamson is due away but again, rumours of him signing with us on a Pre Contract so loan my be extended. 

3 hours ago, BigMadMental said:

I really couldn’t care less about Tiffoney. He’s made of glass, and we do fine without him. Turner is possibly as close to Docherty as you might find. 

Turner is a completely different player to Docherty? 

Either way with our current numbers in midfield (although that might be reduced if Williamson doesn’t have his loan extended - find the rumours of a PCA bizarre) I don’t see a move for Turner being plausible. A DM or a quality CB (to allow Neilson forward) is definitely the priority but another winger would be good too. 

Lee Ashcroft and Logan Chalmers would be excellent additions to the squad, although not sure on the likelihood of the latter. Ashcroft is getting next to no game time at Dundee, so he may well head out on loan.

Edited by JagsCG

Just now, JagsCG said:

McInroy is out of contract in the summer. I’d absolutely settle for a DM coming in, McInroy on a PCA and a McMillan extension, for the January window, as unlikely as that might be. 

I’d be over the fucking moon with that, never mind settle for it, tbh. Unfortunately, I can’t see the last one happening, as much as I’d love it too. 

From some local feedback, it sounds like Logan Chalmers' loan spell at Tranmere Rovers was not the best fit.  However, I would definitely want him at Firhill, if we could get him.  A bit of TLC and being involved in a squad with some experienced players and younger lads might appeal, in purely football terms.

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

From some local feedback, it sounds like Logan Chalmers' loan spell at Tranmere Rovers was not the best fit.  However, I would definitely want him at Firhill, if we could get him.  A bit of TLC and being involved in a squad with some experienced players and younger lads might appeal, in purely football terms.

Is Chalmers not on loan at Ayr United for the season?

3 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Is Chalmers not on loan at Ayr United for the season?

He is, but he was on one last season and they still recalled him to send him to Tranmere instead. If we’re signing him PCA and are in a position to give United a better deal than Ayr, then it’s very possible he’s here in January. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He is, but he was on one last season and they still recalled him to send him to Tranmere instead. If we’re signing him PCA and are in a position to give United a better deal than Ayr, then it’s very possible he’s here in January. 

He made an appearance for Dundee United in the League Cup before going to Ayr, so he can't play for any other clubs this season.