The Partick Thistle thread

18 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Ashcroft was stinking, Wasiri not much better, and I really don’t know what Crawford offers to this squad that we didn’t already have.

No-one got pass marks tonight, I forgot both Crawford and McBeth were playing until about 40 minutes in, but it is still early days and as you said this was the first proper f**k-up we've had since the group stages came in. I think Crawford will be useful for us this season but other than as a hype man I don't see where Wasiri does, every pass forward went to the opposition, he can maybe do a job as a no-nonsense RB against better teams - probably no surprise one of his best performances there was vs Dundee Utd last season-  but there's nothing from him going forward.

I don't think Wasiri had a terrible game tonight, or O'Reilly for that matter. They just look like what they are. Centre backs playing at full back. Wasiri in particular looks in a panic when he gets into the opponents final third. In the first half the issue was both him and Chalmers want to go inside all the time which is very easy to defend against. Kyle Turner is different gravy and will be a star again for us. BBG looks much better when it's Robinson in the 10 role than anyone else playing in there. 

From what I've seen so far I'd be starting Muirhead and O'Reilly at centre back. 

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm hoping the fact Mitchell walked off under his own steam meant it was a bit more precautionary. I still think he should have cleared it though?

Yeah I thought so as well. It almost looked like he tried to run behind the ball to clear it rather than just dive forward onto it, which seemed like the more practical option.

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

I don't think Wasiri had a terrible game tonight, or O'Reilly for that matter. They just look like what they are. Centre backs playing at full back. Wasiri in particular looks in a panic when he gets into the opponents final third. In the first half the issue was both him and Chalmers want to go inside all the time which is very easy to defend against. Kyle Turner is different gravy and will be a star again for us. BBG looks much better when it's Robinson in the 10 role than anyone else playing in there. 

From what I've seen so far I'd be starting Muirhead and O'Reilly at centre back. 

Wasiri misplaced a pass or cross just about every time he got the ball. I’m not expecting him to get up and down the pitch all day putting in dangerous crosses like McMillan did, but he was really, really poor tonight.

Alarming if Ashcroft can’t replace Muirhead at this point, but based on tonight’s performance you might be right about that one. 

Just now, Nightmare said:

Wasiri misplaced a pass or cross just about every time he got the ball. I’m not expecting him to get up and down the pitch all day putting in dangerous crosses like McMillan did, but he was really, really poor tonight.

I remember two really early on where one was a terrible call from Aero that he followed and then one by Chalmers who called for it then ran down the channel so not all his fault. 

1 hour ago, Reid said:

If Mitchell’s injury is bad that could be a massive issue. I’m sure we could get a keeper quite quickly but it most likely won’t be one of much quality. We’ve been in the market for a keeper all summer and haven’t found the right one yet.

Two full backs needed too.

Surely not out for long with a bruised ego.

Edited by Jamie_M

20 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Surelynl not out for long with a bruised ego.

Bit of a strange comment to make about someone who’s recently opened up in the press about their mental health struggles.

42 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah I thought so as well. It almost looked like he tried to run behind the ball to clear it rather than just dive forward onto it, which seemed like the more practical option.

Looked to me like he injured himself running back try to catch it hence the mess he ended up in trying to keep it off the line.

heard was his hamstring so could easily have went when trying to run back.

Took his goal really well last night but always been impressed with Aidan Fitzpatrick whenever I’ve seen him and thought he could make the step up to the premiership. 

17 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

McCall is a wiley old fox ,has made some shrewed signings, will have done his homework on us and would imagine himself or Scally would have watched us in run up to this game .That being said I believe we have too much in our tank for him and his manky nomads.

2-0 Jags .

Don't you just love this sort of post............

Schadenfreude - Imgflip

11 hours ago, Thistle4eva said:

Calm down son, we are still 3/4 signings away from greatness. Was always gonna happen McCall mastermind.

That result is your fault, coming on the ton page giving it big licks, sure you’ve heard karma before get it up yi 

10 hours ago, jaggyness said:

You'll find this a running theme.  It can be so frustrating to watch, because he has all the ability to be a great player.  He just can not use his right foot so you will always see him drifting in.  Will try play outside of the left foot passes rather than use his right foot.

That old Cloughian maxim of "good team on paper ,unfortunately we play on grass" comes crashing home once again .Anyhoos,early doors yet and still time to recruit, settle and get the chemistry right.

Very disorganised performance last night. I noticed it during the play-offs last season and again last night, but we seem to play a polo-mint formation at times, with absolutely no-one in the centre of midfield. Everything goes long or down the wings. However, Wasiri has no confidence going forward and taking on the defender, so it doesn't work without the right players in the right positions. I am not in the 'he's useless' camp, but he's a central defender, not a wing-back. Though some of his passing was poor last night - which could be said of a lot of the team to be honest.

I am not completely disheartened, it is still early in the season, we have some new players getting used to the system, their team-mates, and we are not done in the transfer market. As others have said, we need a goalie, right back and striker at the least.

Edited by Griff Sheridan