The Partick Thistle thread

14 hours ago, Acastus said:

What height is Brian Graham ? My brother bumped into him doing deliveries in Maryhill and said he was smaller than him and my bro is 6ft1....I said f**k off he's 6ft 2 at least...

I would guess around 6ft3”. He is around the same height as McBeth and I believe that is his height.

22 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Falkirk are projecting a break-even financial performance this season, based on the prize money of a 5th place finish. 

This obviously excluded the cash from drawing Celtic in the cup which will allow us to increase the playing budget and still make a small profit 

The FSS does provide around £150k annually which is important, along with an extra £40k in general fan donations to the playing budget 

However our ST and PATG prices are the cheapest in the Championship, which would raise roughly £200k more a year if these were increased to the league average

So in summary it is absolutely possible to run a full-time club in this league in a sustainable manner

Only we have never managed to do it without cup runs or player sales ever and would doubt we will this year either despite the “break even budget”. Having said that Kilmarnock, Dundee and Dundee Utd have racked up huge losses winning this league. From what I can see no one is going to that level of loss but a few will be “investing” to get up. 

Edited by BPM

14 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Any cut in player budget comes with a commensurate risk of a significant drop in prize-money. So, for example, going from a £1.1 million player budget (which is ballpark for what the modal team in the Championship had last year) to, say, an £800k player budget, sees any savings totally wiped out if you finish (say) 6th instead of 3rd.

So yes, it's an option to cut the player budget. But it doesn't necessarily get you any closer to being sustainably break-even without cup runs, player sales or a much strengthened commercial operation.

What happens when the club in the example with the £1.1million player budget is fan owned and has a disaster of a season and finishes 8th? Do they just continue to sell off shares to plug gaps in the finances until they're no longer fan owned?

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

We made a small profit in 2022/23 without any of these 3 things or player trading.  

Fair point. You also finished 2nd in the league and the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup though (which is significant for additional prize-money) and would have made a loss if you'd finished 3rd or 4th (based on the prize-money differentials).

5 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

What happens when the club in the example with the £1.1million player budget is fan owned and has a disaster of a season and finishes 8th? Do they just continue to sell off shares to plug gaps in the finances until they're no longer fan owned?

I think I read that the £300k donated to the player fund would not impinge on the budget for future seasons. Not sure how that works tbf. Maybe salary costs spread over the remainder of a two or three year contract.

Its definitely a concern I've had too as any drop in prize money or matchday income would have detrimental effect on the overall budget for the following season.

This is turn would put pressure on the board to rubber stamp another share issue. I don't have any issues with Mr McLymont's generous support of the club but we can't rely on such support in the middle to long term.

I certainly got the impression from the statement that we would more than likely need to apply for the second tranche of investment/ share issue if things don't go well and we finished lower than the playoffs and the subsequent drop off in income through matchday revenues and prize money come the end of the season.

14 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

I would guess around 6ft3”. He is around the same height as McBeth and I believe that is his height.

Yeah my brother was adamant he wasn't that tall. Anyway he chatted to him for a bit and seemed a nice chap. 

Unexpectedly we are now in talks with another winger. However, another championship club are speaking to the same guy. 

He has left an English League Two side over the summer, so it would be a permanent deal not a loan if we make the signing.

17 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

Unexpectedly we are now in talks with another winger. However, another championship club are speaking to the same guy. 

He has left an English League Two side over the summer, so it would be a permanent deal not a loan if we make the signing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korede_Adedoyin This guy I believe. Raith are the other club being linked with him

Would be looking at a commanding midfield presence who can spray the ball about,and not get sent off on a regular basis, if monies still available.

I believe reference was made at last night's Q&A to possibly enabling Dools if he sees the right man this week.

I'd be surprised if we bring anyone else in at all unless there's another long-term injury or we're somehow selling someone (Fitzpatrick would maybe have been a candidate over the summer but can't imagine his start to the season has clubs knocking down the door).

Would still expect Lyon to leave permanently and MacKenzie on loan as well- I thought the latter might stay as cover until we signed Smith, but he needs a run of games in one position rather than flung on a sub for last 5 minutes wherever there's an injury.

On 28/08/2024 at 02:36, Acastus said:

Yeah my brother was adamant he wasn't that tall. Anyway he chatted to him for a bit and seemed a nice chap. 

BBG is around the 6'3" mark, I reckon.  Checking the snap I got with him, he is about my height or a bit taller.  A nice lad and surprisingly photogenic.

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

BBG is around the 6'3" mark, I reckon.  Checking the snap I got with him, he is about my height or a bit taller.  A nice lad and surprisingly photogenic.

Surprisingly???

3 hours ago, Red Kite said:

Yeah tbf my brother didn't even know his name just as "the striker for thistle" and said he was smaller than he expected. He did say he was injured ATM so must have been him. 

25 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Were rumoured to be in for MacAvoy from Fulham, think he was with you last season? Any decent? 

I though he was really good, would have been more than happy to have him back.

36 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Were rumoured to be in for MacAvoy from Fulham, think he was with you last season? Any decent? 

Was the season before, but he’s a very good player for this level. Picked up a really bad injury which cut his time with us short (and I think kept him out for most of last year), but looked decent on the ball and solid defensively - exactly the kind of player Brown seems to be after.

I hope he tells you to bolt.