The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

He doesn’t hold back but he’s blaming everyone else but himself. BG hasn’t had a lot of service however his all round play this league season has been awful. His inability to hold the ball up when it gets played long to him is criminal

He’s been brilliant for us of that there’s no doubt however having an indirect pop at your team mates in the national press is disappointing. He’s the team captain and should be better than that.

10 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

He doesn’t hold back but he’s blaming everyone else but himself. BG hasn’t had a lot of service however his all round play this league season has been awful. His inability to hold the ball up when it gets played long to him is criminal

He’s been brilliant for us of that there’s no doubt however having an indirect pop at your team mates in the national press is disappointing. He’s the team captain and should be better than that.

Marking Doolan's card. Pitching for his job?

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Marking Doolan's card. Pitching for his job?

Making a point of blaming others and coming across as really thin-skinned doesn't exactly mark himself out as a strong candidate for the manager's job.

12 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

BBG puts in a shift.If not up front he's back marshalling defence and aye he could/should have put his hand up and shoulder some responsibility to balance what he's saying.I think this is just frustration talking and the manager in him coming out. Sometimes a spade needs calling a spade and hopefully we'll see a positive reaction this Saturday .

22 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Making a point of blaming others and coming across as really thin-skinned doesn't exactly mark himself out as a strong candidate for the manager's job.

If Doolan does leave, then likelihood is Graham would be in the mix.

I’d probably take Graham if Doolan goes, but that’s at least partly because there’s no names really jumping out at me that I can think of. Ian Murray would be the other obvious one I suppose, or someone like Barry Robson if he’s wanting to get back into management having failed at a bigger club, but I’m not sure how enthusiastic I’d be about either of them. 

15 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d probably take Graham if Doolan goes, but that’s at least partly because there’s no names really jumping out at me that I can think of. Ian Murray would be the other obvious one I suppose, or someone like Barry Robson if he’s wanting to get back into management having failed at a bigger club, but I’m not sure how enthusiastic I’d be about either of them. 

To be honest given our finances Graham might be the only viable option as Player Manager till end of season, but would mean relinquishing Woman's team. 

Anyhoos ,let's get behind Dools and Team on Saturday and a good solid result and three points .

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

If Doolan does leave, then likelihood is Graham would be in the mix.

Yeah, not arguing with that.

But Graham isn't exactly selling himself as a top candidate by throwing his team under the bus in the media. Regardless of whether it's justified or not.

Doolan and Graham clearly are clashing at the moment in their opinion of what the problem is.

Doolan is quite clear that he feels that people aren’t doing anything with the ball when they get it near goal, he has said this in post match interviews (see Hamilton).

So it’s interesting to see the manager say that Graham isn’t putting his chances away but Graham is now saying he doesn’t get chances. 

I have seen Graham miss a few this season, Hamilton the ball came across the 6yrd box for him right at the end of the game, and he was a yard behind the ball. 

I was happy for him on Saturday that he scored but his reaction in the media after this has been a bit baffling. He was up in hospitality after the Livvy game as well saying this same stuff about the team and lack of service.

He is onto nothing here. He saying he is a 6yrd box striker but he is almost never there. 

There is clearly dressing room politics at play here between the manager and captain, given their conflicting opinions making it to the media. 

I think they're on a similar wavelength tbf. Doolan mentioned too many crosses hitting the first man etc. in the post match interview I'm sure.

From the last game match report, which feels like it's a common thread with our attacks;

image.png.bf39187994c2e57092988bd930e92bfe.png

image.png.d00bb64c0e462a20ab7c96b5376aceeb.png

It's not to single out Fitzpatrick because he gets halfed an awful lot with the way he plays and it isn't realistic or a sound attacking plan to just go "give it to Fitzpatrick, he'll beat 3 or 4 players and set up a sitter for Graham every match" but the whole team needs to be contributing more.

Not having McMillan getting into the area has hampered us, along with Lawless carrying the ball.

12 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I think they're on a similar wavelength tbf. Doolan mentioned too many crosses hitting the first man etc. in the post match interview I'm sure.

From the last game match report, which feels like it's a common thread with our attacks;

image.png.bf39187994c2e57092988bd930e92bfe.png

image.png.d00bb64c0e462a20ab7c96b5376aceeb.png

It's not to single out Fitzpatrick because he gets halfed an awful lot with the way he plays and it isn't realistic or a sound attacking plan to just go "give it to Fitzpatrick, he'll beat 3 or 4 players and set up a sitter for Graham every match" but the whole team needs to be contributing more.

Not having McMillan getting into the area has hampered us, along with Lawless carrying the ball.

Doolans interview after Hamilton game was pretty clear that he thought there was plenty service but nobody on the end of it.

agreed that this weekend they appear to be saying similar things.

it doesn’t fill you with optimism. In what could have been an interview where BG goes and spearheads our luck turning he goes and dives into the team and goes off the head a bit. 

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah, not arguing with that.

But Graham isn't exactly selling himself as a top candidate by throwing his team under the bus in the media. Regardless of whether it's justified or not.

Agreed. What’s the old saying about ‘ not washing your linen in public’ ? 
A not very subtle attempt to put his name in the frame for Doolan’s job methinks.

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

Doolans interview after Hamilton game was pretty clear that he thought there was plenty service but nobody on the end of it.

agreed that this weekend they appear to be saying similar things.

it doesn’t fill you with optimism. In what could have been an interview where BG goes and spearheads our luck turning he goes and dives into the team and goes off the head a bit. 

Graham has missed chances this season the likes of which he put away last season. We obviously have some issues with the team/squad (such as Lawless and other creative options being out) but it's hard not to think that our bad start has partly been down to not signing a good striker over summer because we already had a stick on first choice who put others off coming here - and whose form has (predictably, aged almost 37) started to fall off quite badly this term.

Graham's outburst in the press is totally out of order IMO and underlines how, this season, he's been obstructing our success rather than driving it. He's a senior figure at the club (too big to drop?) and should really be keeping his mouth shut or at most towing the party line when Doolan is under a lot of pressure rather than moaning about service.