The Partick Thistle thread

8 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

On the mobile always bad granma but £350.000 is a derisory offer what the feck are the jags thinking?

Apologies wastecoatwilly, my comments were supposed to be directed to MARYHILLISWONDERFUL. I made a complete arse of it.

Hope your granma gets better soon :)

20 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Do you actually read the posts you are replying to?

The club have set the tariff for Lindsay. Nobody is going to offer more than 350k now.

This wouldn't be happening if we had just rejected their paltry bid and Oxford would have had to pay his real value!

Jason Cummings, a player woefully unproven in the Scottish Premiership, just went to the Championship down south for a report £1million. Even taking into account strikers tend to cost more than defenders, £250k-£350k for a player the same age, who has just been named in the league TOTY, is a farce.

18 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Jason Cummings, a player woefully unproven in the Scottish Premiership, just went to the Championship down south for a report £1million. Even taking into account strikers tend to cost more than defenders, £250k-£350k for a player the same age, who has just been named in the league TOTY, is a farce.

Size of club (eg. Hibs with Cummings) and reputation for producing/selling young talent (Accies or Falkirk) will come into things as well, unfortunately for us.

If Liam Lindsay was a Hamilton or Falkirk player he'd be going for more money.

Edited by Nightmare

What if the deal's £350,000 now and £10,000 a month for the next two years? Plus 20% of any future sell on? The headline figure doesn't tell the whole story. If Barnsley are prepared to offer more than the £350,000 quoted, that suggests that the add on's are significant. Don't see how we can be unhappy with any of this when we don't know what's been agreed.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Size of club (eg. Hibs with Cummings) and reputation for producing/selling young talent (Accies or Falkirk) will come into things as well, unfortunately for us.

If Liam Lindsay was a Hamilton or Falkirk player he'd be going for more money.

I was going to say that, there's a certain art to selling and it requires a few things to fall into place.

If you look at Motherwell for example Randolph ended up leaving for free, Hutchinson as well, Ross McComack was sold for £100k, Reynolds and Jamie Murphy both left for buttons. In fact I think we ended up getting more from Lee Erwin's development fee than we did for Randolph, Hutchinson, McCormack, Reynolds and Murphy's fees combined. It's only recently that we've started getting a grip on negotiating and dealing with approaches for players ie: Johnson and knocking back offers for McDonald (x2) and Moult because they didn't suit us.

Am I right in saying that £350k for Lindsay would still be a club record transfer fee for Thistle? Not that it makes it any better in terms of relative value but it does put things into a bit more context.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Am I right in saying that £350k for Lindsay would still be a club record transfer fee for Thistle? Not that it makes it any better in terms of relative value but it does put things into a bit more context.

Yeah. Wiki has the record transfer fee received down as £250k for Jack Hendry from Wigan in 2015. Before that it was possibly Harkins to Dundee a few years back, at about £150k. Alan Hansen went for £100k-odd in the 70's. Pretty sure that's the only three where we've broken the 6 figure barrier in fees, although I could be forgetting players.

Quite a contrast between the Hendry situation and the Lindsay one. Decent fee for a player who had played a handful of games and hadn't even really stood out in them vs player who has had two full seasons, making the TOTY in the second one. Despite that, the suggested fees are pretty close. Obviously none of us know the details of the offer. It could have a 50% sell on clause and be worth £100k for every 50 games he plays or something like that, but right now it looks shite and I think the frustration is justified.

Edited by Nightmare

Mo Johnston went to Watford for £200,000.
Crazy the amount we got for Hendry (six figure fee apparently) considering the length of time he was at Firhill. Makes me think the club aren't total mugs and with add ons we'll be looking at a tidy sum for Lindsay, wherever he ends up.

Edited by jagfox99

21 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah. Wiki has the record transfer fee received down as £250k for Jack Hendry from Wigan in 2015. Before that it was possibly Harkins to Dundee a few years back, at about £150k. Alan Hansen went for £100k-odd in the 70's. Pretty sure that's the only three where we've broken the 6 figure barrier in fees, although I could be forgetting players.

Quite a contrast between the Hendry situation and the Lindsay one. Decent fee for a player who had played a handful of games and hadn't even really stood out in them vs player who has had two full seasons, making the TOTY in the second one. Despite that, the suggested fees are pretty close. Obviously none of us know the details of the offer. It could have a 50% sell on clause and be worth £100k for every 50 games he plays or something like that, but right now it looks shite and I think the frustration is justified.

Mo Johnston remains the club's record fee received for a player at £200k. Jack Hendry went for less than that. 

Ha, yeah my girlfriend's wee boy kept going on about it, I thought it looked like some kind of C64 choose your own adventure game, but I downloaded the demo and was hooked.

Anyway, linking back...Thistle, if you sell Lindsay for buttons... 

Spoiler

d628efc7de48258febe029ea151c6c41.png

Edited by Fuctifano

I have forgot more than you know,it worked out well for Steve may?it's the career path these players take not the initial fee or add ons,a bit of progressive thinking strachan should have put Lindsay in the Scotland squad instead he is going to a graveyard with a better bank balance.

On the mobile always bad granma but £350.000 is a derisory offer what the feck are the jags thinking?

Liam Lindsay has been at the club for nearly 7 years were is the reward for the club at £350.000 who cares about the add-ons that's £50 grand a year
great prospect very poor deal the jags need to wake up

We get it. You think it's a bad deal.

Baffled that so many people fail to grasp the importance of add ons.

This, the initial fee was trebled on May within 12 months. If O'Halloran leaves Rangers we should earn multiples of the initial fee aswell. One good season down south could see Lindsay being a £5-6m player next summer. A 30% sell on fee from £6m is £1.8m, so the whole deal for Lindsay would be £2.1m. Say there's a £200k fee for him earning a cap, that's £2.3m.

Yet folk would still rather see £1m initial payment with no clauses..

This, the initial fee was trebled on May within 12 months. If O'Halloran leaves Rangers we should earn multiples of the initial fee aswell. One good season down south could see Lindsay being a £5-6m player next summer. A 30% sell on fee from £6m is £1.8m, so the whole deal for Lindsay would be £2.1m. Say there's a £200k fee for him earning a cap, that's £2.3m.

Yet folk would still rather see £1m initial payment with no clauses..

I see both sides of the argument on this one. There's been quite alot of young Scottish talents heading south for however many years without ever making so much of a dent in the English game. Scottish clubs much like their English counterparts will see the risk factor and can argue the £1m upfront, which is obviously pennies to English clubs, and guarantee the big dollah without the worry if they'll make it big or not.

Lindsay should be £1m plus add ons though as he's a fucking baller.