The Partick Thistle thread

Just when you realise how shit we are, you also realise how thick our fans are when some are on Facebook suggesting Danny Lennon or Ally McCoist as suitable alternatives. Jaysus.

I think there are some decent managers out there that we could bring in until the end of the season and then reevaluate based on where we end up. I’d start with Ray McKinnon.

Jim Duffy - FFS.
Danny Lennon - love him, but would need to go some way in rebuilding his career before he’ll get a Premiership / Championship level job again - and I’m not sure he can.
Ally McCoist - kill me now.

I also await the John Hughes / Jim McIntyre / Jimmy Calderwood suggestions. Not as bad as McCoist, but shite nonetheless.

3 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Just when you realise how shit we are, you also realise how thick our fans are when some are on Facebook suggesting Danny Lennon or Ally McCoist as suitable alternatives. Jaysus.

It's not just Facebook Jim Duffy has been mentioned here. As well as Paul Paton as a player.

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Danny Lennon - love him, but would need to go some way in rebuilding his career before he’ll get a Premiership / Championship level job again - and I’m not sure he can.

:lol:Aye he only won st mirren a league cup (something jags could only dream of) and highest top league finish.  Danny Lennon would be the best contender if Archibald leaves in my opinion.

And all the cries of we shouldn't be at the bottom with this squad are mental. Yes Archie has been terrible for a year and should've been punted but would our 'best squad in our lifetime' have Danny Devine, Miles Storey, Blair Spittal and Whatshisface Woods? Erskine, Lawless and Doolan are shadows of their former selves, Osman has chucked it, we've had better full backs during Archie's tenure and we're struggling to find room for someone that is decent at sweeper and shite everywhere else. Salmon, Elliot and Cerny have been our only decent players of late. And one of them was a no mark bit part diddy striker who got his finger out and grafted turning himself into a decent full back. Best squad ever? Fucking lolz. The vast majority of the squad shouldn't be here next season regardless of the league we are in.

4 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

And all the cries of we shouldn't be at the bottom with this squad are mental. Yes Archie has been terrible for a year and should've been punted but would our 'best squad in our lifetime' have Danny Devine, Miles Storey, Blair Spittal and Whatshisface Woods? Erskine, Lawless and Doolan are shadows of their former selves, Osman has chucked it, we've had better full backs during Archie's tenure and we're struggling to find room for someone that is decent at sweeper and shite everywhere else. Salmon, Elliot and Cerny have been our only decent players of late. And one of them was a no mark bit part diddy striker who got his finger out and grafted turning himself into a decent full back. Best squad ever? Fucking lolz. The vast majority of the squad shouldn't be here next season regardless of the league we are in.

Certainly best squad in numbers and in terms of players who should be capable of playing first team football.

The problem is Archibald seems unable to manage said squad. This has lead to a constant chopping and changing and we find ourselves staring doen the barrel of a gun and it seems he still doesn't know his best starting formation.

Oh, Archie :(

“The game didn’t start great and so it proved. It was fast and frantic with a lot of long balls. Just as it was starting to settle down, County went and got their goal. They kicked on from it and we did not get a reaction from it, which was the most disappointing thing. We knew the first goal was going to be pivotal tonight and we just didn’t respond.”

With the Jags trailing by two goals, the gaffer made a double half time substitution in a bid to get back in the match, but it was to prove in vain.

“The game wasn’t over at half time and we brought on Erskine and Spittal in a bid to get that goal back. We thought County might have been vulnerable; the same as us, if we got a goal back in the second half but at 3-0 the game is over. Our defending was so poor and it didn’t let our forward thinking players get into the game. Ross County gave us three warnings before they got their third goal and that was disappointing. We didn’t see enough from the players.”

The side slid to the bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership table after tonight’s defeat and with just six games left, Alan knows the side are running out of time to climb the table.

“It will be a tough run in and we’ve got to concentrate on it. The good thing is we are still within touching distance of the teams above us. Tonight’s game gave us the opportunity to close the gap on the teams above us and we didn’t take it. We’re going to have that chance over the next few games and while it is there we have to get results.

“We’ve got another game this Saturday, albeit a very tough game against a top six side. It is time to go and stand up. We can’t hide and feel sorry for ourselves after tonight’s result.”

[emoji38]Aye he only won st mirren a league cup (something jags could only dream of) and highest top league finish.  Danny Lennon would be the best contender if Archibald leaves in my opinion.

Archibald has finished higher in the league and has better win percentage as a manager. Stick to making fantasy bets.

Archibald has finished higher in the league and has better win percentage as a manager. Stick to making fantasy bets.

'Has'. Past tense, sadly. Records don't mean much in life if you can't beat them or worse, fall a country mile short of them, which is where we are.

9 minutes ago, Dr Koop said:

'Has'. Past tense, sadly. Records don't mean much in life if you can't beat them or worse, fall a country mile short of them, which is where we are.

He was responding to an oddball bringing up Danny Lennon at St Mirren...

Whatever happened to him?

I'd assume if he's still in charge by the close of business today that the club have taken a decision to keep him on until, at the bare minimum, we're mathematically gone from the top flight. Christ, they may even give him the chance to redeem himself in the 2nd tier.

I mean he doesn't inspire absolute revulsion in the way, say, McNamara does, but he's made some ridiculously poor decisions recently (for instance being far too much of a soft touch with permacrocks like Bannigan, Welsh, Fraser, Dumbuya and others who are either still at the club, or got kept for too long when it was abundantly clear they were done at top flight level and possibly even as full-time footballers. Edit: and playing Connor Sammon as a wide midfielder a few times. Fucking hell.)

Might be a bit telling that no senior figure at the club has publicly come out to back him recently as they did last year.

I thought we took the right call in sticking with him last time around but it's not really been vindicated. Hope he can put together a decent enough side for automatic promotion next season because, let's face it, there's far more chance of the players checking out and getting smashed 5-0 and 6-0 like last season's post split fixtures than there is of them winning the next 4 or 5 games.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

The club should now be seeking a replacement for Archie and they have to get it right. I'm struggling to see any decent managers who would be available at this stage in the season. Maybe someone out there who would normally be out of our reach might take it on until the end of season as a shot to nothing to boost their image. Saving the doomed club might look good on their CV. But sacking Archie just to get someone like Butcher or Hughes as a caretaker to the end of the season isn't a good idea in my opinion.

So I'm saying yes unfortunately Archie's time has come but don't push him until a better option is available.

He was responding to an oddball bringing up Danny Lennon at St Mirren...
Whatever happened to him?
Jagfox has covered it. Archie isn't the correct option going forward but those suggesting Lennon as a superior alternative are desperate at very best.