The Partick Thistle thread

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Paton "did alright" because he was the only CM we had who doesn't suffer consistent injuries. 

He was released in January as he was the most dispensable member of the squad, and we replaced him with a rookie from Man U who looked about four times the player. 

Right, didn't say he was a world beater, but he did alright and would be a good signing for the Championship.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Paton "did alright" because he was the only CM we had who doesn't suffer consistent injuries. 

He was released in January as he was the most dispensable member of the squad, and we replaced him with a rookie from Man U who looked about four times the player...before he got injured. 

FTFY

7 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Right, didn't say he was a world beater, but he did alright and would be a good signing for the Championship.

I think you should be looking for better, tbh. He's pretty outdated when you see the "dynamic" midfielders who are breaking through just now. 

6 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

FTFY

Pretty much :lol:

34 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am hoping that we build a team with a blend of good young players and a handful of experienced players

I’m hoping we get out this league soon but to each there own

Football is a short career and players are right to seek the best deal they can but the story I heard about Edwards and the speed at which he informed the club that he wouldn't be staying leaves a slightly sour taste.

On that point, despite being contractually permitted to do it, it fucking riles me greatly that guys like Edwards can play a significant role in relegating the club  - and then proclaim that they don't want to play at the level the club has been demoted to. 

I made no secret that I didn't rate Edwards and I think a growing number eventually saw him for what he was - a try hard with very little quality in either a tactical or technical sense. If Hearts harbour top 4 ambitions, they'll need a better standard of signing than that.

I didn't really like Paul Paton to be honest. Felt he was very good at looking committed - fist pumper, the occasional crunching tackle - but often felt games passed him by with him having absolutely no influence. His penchant for a Hollywood ball which works one in ten was piss annoying as well. He was well behind where he needed to be technically - Trakai couldn't believe their luck whenever he got the ball as he continually either mis-controlled a simple ball or dithered on the ball so long that they were able to nick it away and catch us short high up the pitch - and was pretty slow too.

Not that Thistle fans will need to know that in fairness as they suffered him before us, but I felt we were (and are) a much better side without him in the team.

I think you'd be much better off with Millar (who offers much the same as Paton in terms of style of play but is much better in just about every measurable way).

15 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Football is a short career and players are right to seek the best deal they can but the story I heard about Edwards and the speed at which he informed the club that he wouldn't be staying leaves a slightly sour taste.

On that point, despite being contractually permitted to do it, it fucking riles me greatly that guys like Edwards can play a significant role in relegating the club  - and then proclaim that they don't want to play at the level the club has been demoted to. 

I made no secret that I didn't rate Edwards and I think a growing number eventually saw him for what he was - a try hard with very little quality in either a tactical or technical sense. If Hearts harbour top 4 ambitions, they'll need a better standard of signing than that.

Where you hearing this from?

Edwards was never more than a squad player at Thistle. Baffling that he'd be sought by Hearts even as that.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am hoping that we build a team with a blend of good young players and a handful of experienced players

We also need to score more goals than the opposition to win games, imho...

I would quite like to see Frans return but it's obviously not clear what his personal circumstances/ambitions are at the moment given what's happened to his team in Belgium.

He and Lindsay, I seem to recall, were statistically the best defensive pairing in our time in the top flight.

2 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Where you hearing this from?

Edwards was never more than a squad player at Thistle. Baffling that he'd be sought by Hearts even as that.

He appeared in every game last season and 31 plus the playoff debacle this season. I think he has had the most minutes played of any Jags players in the last two seasons?

2 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I would quite like to see Frans return but it's obviously not clear what his personal circumstances/ambitions are at the moment given what's happened to his team in Belgium.

He and Lindsay, I seem to recall, were statistically the best defensive pairing in our time in the top flight.

His missus has just had their first kid so I don't think they'd be ready for moving to Scotland away from family then again you need to pay for them nappies...

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

He appeared in every game last season and 31 plus the playoff debacle this season. I think he has had the most minutes played of any Jags players in the last two seasons?

Only because better players in the same position were constantly injured.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

Only because better players in the same position were constantly injured.

Indeed, he and Barton ceded the midfield to the opposition due to said injuries/ lack of alternatives.

He was still picked ahead of others when they were available. 

Another lesson for Archibald? :rolleyes:

I really didn’t rate Edwards last season but I think he’s been 1 of the better ones this season and also has scored a few crucial goals this season but if a offer comes in I’ll take it definitely