Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

4 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

It’s fucking turned in a Scottish version of Mrs Brown Boys it’s so forced and predictable it’s unreal.

As other have said the original run was so well written with decent stories and the gags weren’t forced. Now you can see the punchline coming a mile away.

There was a punchline?

Still Game is a lot like Rangers - they both came back after everybody believed they were finished, but they've been shite since then.

(Except that people laugh at Rangers.)

Edited by GordonD

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The "two pints p***k" is fine for me. Its a wee bit of repetitive pub patter. The sort you get in real pubs. Its a lot more realistic patter than most.

Yeah, I don't mind that. Especially in the first episode of a new series, it's just sort of a "welcome back" for your audience. It's just most of the other twenty-eight or so minutes I didn't like! 

1 hour ago, Armand 2 said:

I don't think I've laughed at Still Game since it came back, certainly not the way I did in the past. It's a try-hard now - the exact opposite of what made it funny in the original run. Some of the attempts at humour are so blatant, it's almost become a physical comedy. 

Methadone Mick is a fucking terrible character. Truly awful.

I nearly smashed my TV screen when I saw Mick appear again.

It's actually the part that is worst for me. A lot is falling flat but I can at least respect that they are trying stuff out and a lot of it is just not working. With Mick though, they've had two whole seasons with him and it's been absolutely brutal for the whole time.

Reading Twitter comments of people raving about him and demanding a spin off has been my most horrifying experience of the past couple of years.

The acting and delivery is exactly like 2 guys pretending to be pensioners. Before, you actually forgot that the actors were just a couple of 30-something year-olds. That isn’t just a comment on the aesthetics changing with HD etc, they’ve just lost that touch of moving and acting like old men. It’s not believable anymore and I don’t feel attached to the characters like in the first 5/6 series.

Victor doing the wee finger-point thing when he said “ah, your *ringtone*” made my skin crawl.

Have said it in the past but i get the feeling that they completely misinterpreted why folk loved it so much, and are now just ramming it with catchphrases and cheap jokes. As others have said it's completely lost its realism, the patter and everyday situations were what made the older ones, you could quite easily have just been watching some real pensioners in the pub whereas now you're more aware its a sitcom. Dunno if i'm just nitpicking either but it seems they've completely cut out any background noise so it's basically just one character delivering a joke at a time, which along with the HD just makes it a bit weird. 

Edited by Fratelli

What was so painful about the episode last night is that they tried to make it relevant, about how much random nonsense shows up on social media and people posting stuff just for “likes” and they failed miserably. Even the scene with Winston at the community hall was horrible to watch.

The bad thing in my eye is that every new episode has potential, but between trying too hard and making Isa, Mick, boaby and even Winston main characters isn’t working.

Last nights episode should have been better.

Same with Navid. There was absolutely no need for him to be in that episode but it felt like they jammed a scene in at the shop just so he made an appearance.

Pretty sure back in the original series you could go a couple of episodes without seeing a couple of the “main characters” but now it’s like they have to get everyone in the one episode for no reason at all.

Gave it a watch yesterday, and it wasn't as horrendous as I was expecting. There were a few bits that were decent enough, but it's getting dangerously close to OAE territory, and it kind of feels as if it was written to a really short deadline. Things were rushed, characters were chucked in for no reason and a few storylines were introduced but not developed. 

Meh.

Burnistoun on the other hand was sensational. A Dougie Donnelly action figure :lol:

Same with Navid. There was absolutely no need for him to be in that episode but it felt like they jammed a scene in at the shop just so he made an appearance.

Pretty sure back in the original series you could go a couple of episodes without seeing a couple of the “main characters” but now it’s like they have to get everyone in the one episode for no reason at all.

Winston goes Viral after accidentally stopping a mugging. He uses this to try and weasel free food and drink alongside methadone mick until he’s caught out.

Jack and victor finally decide to upgrade their phones to smartphones after their phones break due to old age.

That’s how the story should have been, could’ve still done the accidental FaceTime but rather than over the top greeting have it be a nice little discussion about their wives and their own mortality where Isa uploads it to Facebook and they also go viral without realising.

Even away from the dreadful, panto comedy where every line has to be a ‘joke’, I’d like to know where they got a couple of iPhones for £20 and how Isa figured out how to record FaceTime.

It’s been absolutely shite since it’s return. Every character must appear in every episode to the point where even fucking Peggy gets a line every time. She must’ve been in about five episodes in the entirety of the ‘old’ series. They’ve never got out of panto mode either. Winston must lose his leg every episode, they must cut away from a big bad sweary word every episode...

Still, at least there wasn’t a rubber steak pie.

I got round to watching it last night.  It's definitely more slapstick than I remember.   It used to be very clever, but now it's more naughty unheard swearing and people falling over.  Also, never in my life have I heard of a 'flat sausage'.

Missed last week's episode so thought I'd catch up before tonight's.

Got to Winston saying "shut it tadger" (i.e. about 2 minutes in) and had to switch off.

When did this become so unfunny? I think I'll give the whole series a miss bar the last episode just to see how it finally ends.