CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Is Flynn a good replacement for Kirkpatrick?

Don't know about that but he's an excellent player. A really impressive signing and someone BF has been chasing for a while; you saw his face at the fans evening when he hadn't quite managed to agree the deal yet.

McNeil is an improvement on Durie. Will add more goals to the team. Don't know about him defensively as we've not really played against them with a proper wide player.

Johnston has got a burst of pace and I doubt he'll be a starter. Will probably look good at first but the lack of end product will tell over time. Might work out but I'll take a bit of convincing.

Lowden has came on so much over the last 18 months or so; he looks a totally different player. 

McNiff; good, solid defender. Like Johnston he's another ex-Dumbarton player :lol: Similar to Chris Smith but not bald. Can take a long throw-in as well if Linton is ever away at a wedding again.

More news to follow next week  :thumbsdown

Phil Johnston is awful, he's fast, but he can't cross a ball to save his life. That said, he'll probably rip us to shreds in his only four good games for Clyde. 

I know McNiff personally, used to work with him, really sound lad and an excellent defender, you've got a good signing there. 

Johnston though  :lol:

Absolutely no qualms about Phil Johnston. As I've said elsewhere and David's said above, I can't really see him being a starter. That sort of pace of the bench, along with his versatility in being able to play as a winger and a right back, means he should be a good addition. Having said that, he may be a starter initially depending on the recovery of Scott Ferguson.

As for the others - not a surprise among them, but all look like good signings. They certainly offer upgrades on what we had in those respective positions at the end of the season, with the exception of McMann - but even then, Lowdon's highly-rated.

If we can hang onto Smith and, in particular, Millen and Linton, I think we'll have the basis of a right good and dynamic squad. We'll just have to wait and see what we end up with up front and in goals to gauge where we are.

Edited by the_bully_wee

Phil Johnston is awful, he's fast, but he can't cross a ball to save his life. That said, he'll probably rip us to shreds in his only four good games for Clyde.

I know McNiff personally, used to work with him, really sound lad and an excellent defender, you've got a good signing there.

Johnston though :lol:

Back up player to fergie perhaps or vice versa. BF said he wants competition for every place, Too many players this season knew they were auto-matic starters..BF words & i agree.

It's funny how quick fans of teams that finished below us (Stirling Albion and Arbroath in particular) on here are to put down everything we do, be it sign a player or whatever.

Just you lot concentrate on making up the numbers in this league and not joining the shire in the lowland league of diddies.

It's funny how quick fans of teams that finished below us (Stirling Albion and Arbroath in particular) on here are to put down everything we do, be it sign a player or whatever.

Just you lot concentrate on making up the numbers in this league and not joining the shire in the lowland league of diddies.

In his defence, Stirling fans have said Johnston was rubbish for years. 

Aye, and just because our joke of a manager played Johnston at right back doesnae make him a right back. In the slightest. Most bizarre managerial decision ever. 

On signings so far though, looking like Clyde and Arbroath could be the two frontrunners for the league. 

Aye, so many Arbroath fans on this thread putting you down :lol:

Despite the good signings it doesn't change the fact we still need someone that can score an amount of goals that will be the difference between a play off spot and the title.

With the signings that we've made for the full back areas and SF to come back from injury, I must not be the only one thinking Gemmell could be that player. Would be a shame if we couldn't get to see him when playing to his strengths. Oh well Longworth will have to do :P

Stevie Thompson left St.Mirren a couple of weeks ago...

Thommo's retired. Wait, have I just been wooshed?

Anyway Mcniff is an interesting signing. He was pretty impressive at CB alongside Alan Lithgow in our promotion winning team, strong, header everything and fairly decent on the deck for a lower league jobber. He's also capable of a very decent ping from range.

I hope he does well with you lot, a rare success story from our youth academy. You must be fairly close to a full Dumbarton starting 11 now!

PJ can run. That's basically it. Good work rate, very quick (or at least he was) just not actually that great on the ball.