Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Good luck to the lad, it's a shame to lose him but no one can blame him for taking the chance of more money.

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks to see what we do transfer wise as there are a number of positions we need to address.

Edited by MJC

Do we get anything from that?

'undisclosed fee', we'll get whatever development fee is due. He'd only been at the club since 2013 so it won't be as much as someone like Erwin who had been there since 2006.

Really can't argue with the move. Good luck to him.

Edit: STV reporting £200k fee. http://stv.tv/sport/football/1357350-brighton-sign-defender-ben-hall-from-motherwell-on-two-year-deal/

Edited by capt_oats

It's a good deal for Motherwell.  Nearly £200k for a guy who's played less than 20 games for the first team?  That'll do.  Onwards to the next one.

Whether it's a good move for Ben Hall to move to Brighton Reserves, at this stage of his career, time will tell. 

The fact our website says we've got a replacement lined up goes against what the general consensus on here and on steelmen online about not needing one.

200k for a guy that's done well without being outstanding is fine with me.

Happy enough with that. Certainly had potential but only played half a season and £200k is a decent amount of money if true.

Would like to hear a bit more about players potentially coming in though. A quality midfielder hopefully.

I see some of the Facebook roasters on well pages are going mental about Hall leaving lol.  One guy said he was our most promising youth player when in fact there is better prospects at the club currently than Hall.

Allan Campbell our young midfielder who signed a 3 year extension a couple months back is apparently gonna be the next big thing at fir park, even the senior players rave about the lad.

200k for a guy that's done well without being outstanding is fine with me.

That about sums up my feelings on Ben Hall.  There's no doubt he did well when coming into the first team, but he was never one that was talked up as a youth player, he was never the "next big thing".  I'd say his performances matched the lack of hype.

I'd never watched watched Ben Hall play and thought to myself, "this boy has got it, he'll be a star".  All the best to him at Brighton though, it's a great chance for him and if he gets a bit of luck, who knows what could happen. 

Is it a one-off fee we get?  Or is there further sell-ons included? 

I see some of the Facebook roasters on well pages are going mental about Hall leaving lol.  One guy said he was our most promising youth player when in fact there is better prospects at the club currently than Hall.

Allan Campbell our young midfielder who signed a 3 year extension a couple months back is apparently gonna be the next big thing at fir park, even the senior players rave about the lad.

I never look at the Facebook pages but that really doesn't surprise me. That's Hall gone and, if rumours are to be believed, Robbie Leitch is next to move. Without wanting to sound sour as I think Hall has acquitted himself well without being spectacular and I'd have been fine with him extending his deal but if I was given the choice of one of Hall or Cadden extending their deals then, for me, it'd have been Cadden over Hall every time. Not that it had to be one or the other it'd have been nice if they'd both stayed but it's the way the system works some will move on. We're actively trying to present ourselves as a club that will give youth an opportunity and provide a pathway for young players. Cadden re-signing plus £200k for Hall is a good news all round IMO.

As you say, Campbell's signed a new deal and Ross MacLean has signed on for another year as well. What Hall does next is really up to him, the club gave him a platform and he's benefited from it in so much as he's got a move to a club in a more monied league.

I totally agree with you there and if David Ferguson shows signs of being able to step up then we will extend the one year extension he got so that we could get money for him as well.   Robbie Leitch again if he were to move yes its a step up in terms of the size of club but id rather he stayed here, broke into the team and then moved so he goes straight into a first team rather than an under 21s side.   Id love before the end of the coming season if we could have Cadden, Campbell and Leitch playing together in our midfield but I reckon that could be unlikely tho.

Its certainly an early sign that we have some good talent in the youth set up and hopefully we can get them seeing their development for now is better at Fir Park rather than elsewhere.

Edited by Del_Superwell

Aye I liked Hall but 200k(if true) for a guy that's played less than 20 first team games is a cracking piece of business. Personally preferred Hall to Kennedy but I think Kennedy came onto a decent game towards the end of the season so I can't envisage Hall being a massive loss. 

Surprised McGhee's talking about bringing in a replacement mind, given we've already  got McManus, Kennedy, Laing, Ferguson and Watt all signed up for next season.

Still, second summer in a row an English Championship club has come in and taken one of our youngsters for a six figure fee. Given how heavily our youth system has been criticized in recent years we've certainly been churning out some decent prospects in the last few years in Erwin, Hall and of course Cadden. 

Hopefully next season the likes of Thomas, Campbell and Turnbull can follow in their footsteps and start to make a decent impact on the first team as this is certainly the way forward for us as a club.

Given that Hall came from nowhere and never played long enough to really feel like an integral part of the team - £200k feels like free money and the decision to bring him into the first team is fully vindicated...

<insert lame joke about incoming German defender>

I see some of the Facebook roasters on well pages are going mental about Hall leaving lol. One guy said he was our most promising youth player when in fact there is better prospects at the club currently than Hall.

Hahaha Facebook roasters. Couldn't have said it better myself. Campbell is meant to be the baws

Put in a bit of context if that £200k fee is accurate then we've just taken more for a 19 year old who's played less than 20 first team games than we did for Hutchinson & Reynolds combined and had almost 300 appearances for Motherwell between them.

When you consider that the reported fee for Paul Quinn to Cardiff was £300k and he had 161 games to his name then it shows the sort of return from the youth development side of things in a positive light. Even if it's not million pound fees to be establishing deals with English Championship clubs and above and bringing in six figures on a fairly regular basis should (hopefully) keep things ticking over. If one or two can move on and we can retain 3 or 4 then it's reasonably healthy as long as we're being compensated and there's a good level of player coming through which presently seems to be the case with Cadden, Campbell, MacLean, Ferguson and I think that Turnbull looks like a superb prospect.

Whether it's a good move for Ben Hall to move to Brighton Reserves, at this stage of his career, time will tell. 

Don't care.

£200k is great money, bearing in mind that's more than we got for Hutchinson and Reynolds combined, who were both vastly better players.

Next!

Sorry Oats, didn't read your post. 

Edited by thisGRAEME

I never look at the Facebook pages but that really doesn't surprise me. That's Hall gone and, if rumours are to be believed, Robbie Leitch is next to move. Without wanting to sound sour as I think Hall has acquitted himself well without being spectacular and I'd have been fine with him extending his deal but if I was given the choice of one of Hall or Cadden extending their deals then, for me, it'd have been Cadden over Hall every time. Not that it had to be one or the other it'd have been nice if they'd both stayed but it's the way the system works some will move on. We're actively trying to present ourselves as a club that will give youth an opportunity and provide a pathway for young players. Cadden re-signing plus £200k for Hall is a good news all round IMO.

Cadden is certainly a more eye catching player but given our record with Kennedy or Laing in defence maybe Hall was worth more than he's been given credit for by some people.

Cadden is certainly a more eye catching player but given our record with Kennedy or Laing in defence maybe Hall was worth more than he's been given credit for by some people.

Agreed. Also I think you got a much better game out of McManus with Hall next to him than you did either Kennedy or Laing however from a purely anecdotal perspective I'd say that a dynamic midfielder with a clear affinity towards the club has more of a value than a potentially solid young defender with a few rough edges.

Though having just read the club's Facebook and Twitter feeds it seems folk have just totally overlooked the fact that Cadden extended his deal along with others and are seething about Hall's agent turning his head and the club "letting him go". What a state these folk are getting into.

Edit: totally agree with your comment on Steelmen about it being hard to get worked up about him moving to a different league as opposed to some of the Scottish clubs that were rumoured.

Edited by capt_oats