Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Ainsworth, as far as I believe is effectively being released, we won't be asking a fee if we can get rid of his wages.

Yeah I think your right, I understand the club were going to be asking him to take a pay cut from his current wage anyway so it probably makes sense for them to offload him if that is the case.

Ross County are needing a winger who is rapid and can strike a ball from range.   I know he can be inconsistent and is generally not as 'good' as Johnson as an all-round player, but he is exactly what County need to complement the rest of the team.  All my fingers and toes are crossed.

Edited by bunglebonce

Ross County are needing a winger who is rapid and can strike a ball from range.   I know he can be inconsistent and is generally not as 'good' as Johnson as an all-round player, but he is exactly what County need to complement the rest of the team.  All my fingers and toes are crossed.

Ainsworth would be a terrific signing.  

Ainsworth is such an enigma. He's brilliant going forward when he can be bothered and his goal and assists rate is outstanding but he can't defend worth a f**k.

I'd rather if he is to go he goes back to England rather than to our rivals.

You'd think that our preference would be that he didn't join a team in the same league though again it depends on who's genuinely interested.

Having said that if Ben Hall can get a move to Brighton and Robbie Leitch is apparently looking at a 3 year deal with Burnley then surely someone in England would be willing to take a punt on Ainsworth if all they're being asked to do is take over his contract and at worst chip in a nominal fee?

20 goals and 20 assists in his first two seasons at Motherwell. Incredible.

It didn't quite work out for him last season, but he still made a decent contribution.

If he goes, he'll certainly go with my best wishes. A great player for Motherwell.

As for that goal at Ibrox...

Ainsworth would be a terrific signing.  

I was gonna say have a look at his stats, they'll make you come.

Then Desp posted them below. I believe he actually got a few assists last year too.

20 goals and 20 assists in his first two seasons at Motherwell. Incredible.

It didn't quite work out for him last season, but he still made a decent contribution.

If he goes, he'll certainly go with my best wishes. A great player for Motherwell.

As for that goal at Ibrox...

Just 18 starts last season for Ainsworth with 3 goals and 8 assists by my reckoning, still pretty good going.

So that would be something like 23 goals and 28 assists in 103 games(65 starts) over the course of three years for Motherwell. Pretty remarkable return to be honest. 

If Lionel and Pearson are away that's a lot of proven experience and quality at this level being allowed to leave. Pearson I could understand given his age and the supposed money on offer, for Ainsworth I can only assume McGhee feels he can use his wage more effectively elsewhere if he's not going to be a regular starter next season. 

If both go that would leave our squad for pre-season as it stands looking like;

Keepers

Samson

Defence

Watt

Law

Ferguson

Laing

Kennedy

McManus

Chalmers

Midfield

Cadden

Campbell

Maclean

Forwards

Moult

Moore

Johnson

Thomas

With offers still out to Lasley, McFadden, Hammell and McDonald.

Edited by Casagolda

You guys aren't planning to go with Craig Samson as your first choice keeper for a whole season, are you?

I believe McGhee's choice of phrase was that "Samson will start the season as first choice." Make of that what you will. We're apparently looking at bringing in another keeper to compete with him. Brill is the one who's been touted but who knows tbh.

I believe McGhee's choice of phrase was that "Samson will start the season as first choice." Make of that what you will. We're apparently looking at bringing in another keeper to compete with him. Brill is the one who's been touted but who knows tbh.

I can't believe he keeps convincing teams to make him first choice. Championship, no worries, but not top flight.

He's the new Mark Brown.