Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think we might re take our crown as the best looking team in the country.

Some handsome big fit chaps there.

Apart from the aesthetic aspect these seem like really good signings which are taking the club down the right route.

Young hungry players who are keen to make a name for themselves with potential sell on value. Heneghan in particular sounds a potential class act. Happy days.

Without getting ahead of myself I'm quietly impressed by these signings as well. As Busta says Tait and Heneghan were both viewed as being one of the best at their respective clubs and Blyth gives us a different option, it'd be fair to say that he's a considered signing relative to the squad. Though he's been bounced about on loans whilst he's not prolific in the way Moult seemed to be he's still scored a few and you'd probably argue he's been brought in as much for his presence.

I think what interests me most is hearing that in Heneghan's case we've been following him since January (probably when Brighton came on the scene for Hall) all of them seem to have been our first choices. It doesn't look like we've just taken a punt and we'll see how it goes.

Edited by capt_oats

Bannigan is still out of contract though he fucked his knee in March and didn't play again for the rest of the season, Aberdeen and Barnsley were interested but the latter have now signed ex-Thistle loanee George Moncur for a fee so maybe Bannigan is off their list.

He's been training with us this week and there was a post on our thread saying he was coming back, needless to say I'd be fairly disappointed if he signed for Motherwell ahead of us.

Edited by Fuctifano

If Bannigan comes in it might be the long awaited replacement of Lasley. 

But if Pearson goes where are we getting his 7 or 8 goals from central midfield?  We would need to bring in another midfielder with an eye for goal IMO.

-----------------------Samson

Tait-----Henegan---------McManus-----Hammell(?)

-----Cadden--------Lasley-----------(?)

-----McDonald(?)--Moult---------Johnson

Hibs interested in Scott Mcdonald. Would obviously rather he signed for us but if he did end up at Hibs at least he wouldn't be with a direct rival, what with them being in the Championship and that...

Massive fan of McDonald myself, thought he was superb for us last season from about December onwards.

However, I'm not having this carry on again like last year where he spent all summer dicking about making his mind up and then turned up a week before the season started overweight, unfit and badly lacking in match sharpness. He was rank rotten for the first 3 months of last season due to IMHO not bothering his arse with a proper pre-season and was rightly benched by both Baraclough and McGhee for his piss poor performances.

I'd be telling him if he doesn't sign his new contract and report for pre-season with the rest of the squad next week then it's getting withdrawn and we're moving on to other targets.

Same to Hammell, McFadden etc as well. Although I'll be shocked if Hammell hasn't signed and isn't there for pre-season on Monday.

Edited by Casagolda

Massive fan of McDonald myself, thought he was superb for us last season from about December onwards.

However, I'm not having this carry on again like last year where he spent all summer dicking about making his mind up and then turned up a week before the season started overweight, unfit and badly lacking in match sharpness. He was rank rotten for the first 3 months of last season due to IMHO not bothering his arse with a proper pre-season and was rightly benched by both Baraclough and McGhee for his piss poor performances.

I'd be telling him if he doesn't sign his new contract and report for pre-season with the rest of the squad next week then it's getting withdrawn and we're moving on to other targets..

Watched Steve Lovell do that to us.

Spent all summer being chased by 3 SPL clubs and signed wi us the Thursday before the season started.

Spent the 1st month on the sidelines getting fit.

I'd be telling him if he doesn't sign his new contract and report for pre-season with the rest of the squad next week then it's getting withdrawn and we're moving on to other targets.

Same to Hammell, McFadden etc as well. Although I'll be shocked if Hammell hasn't signed and isn't there for pre-season on Monday.

Petty much this.

Losing McDonald will be a massive blow and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves on, but at the end of the day no player is bigger than the club and if he is not prepared to commit then we should move on to other targets Asap.

Good luck to him and McDonald if he goes too.

I get where MJC is coming from about us constantly re-signing old players however these two were worth their weight in gold over the last 18 months. To the point I'm certain we'd be in the Championship right now if it wasn't for them.

Still, that's now 23 goals and a lot of experience and quality possibly gone missing from the spine of the team if they do both depart. With several others including Hammell, Law and Ainsworth's future all still up in the air, it looks like we still have a lot of work to do this summer.

Edited by Casagolda

I was chatting to someone earlier and whats the odds we try and go for a punt on Nicky Law again, i hope we dont personally but wouldnt be surprised if he gets looked at by us.   If we could sign Bannigan who was at Partick Thistle in midfield then thats a good start for me.

I'd be surprised if we managed to get Bannigan but wouldn't be surprised if we'd spoken to him (if that makes sense?). He's been out of action for a while, Thistle fans may have a better idea of his injury and ETA for return than me and while we could probably offer more money I'm not sure it'd be enough to justify moving to another mid-table Premiership side.

If it's true he's been training with Thistle as part of his injury rehab then you'd think he'd probably reciprocate by extending for a year or something.

On Pearson, it'd definitely be a blow but the only consolation is that he missed a fair chunk of last season and eventually managed to be effective. McDonald is the one player that I had hoped we'd retain however if he moves I'd rather it was to a team that wasn't in the same league.

Edited by capt_oats