Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm actually happy with Hammell signing on again as he is still got a fair bit to contribute and has been a solid stalwart for the club for the majority of his career. I would have been disappointed to have lost him.

I'm also pretty chuffed with Dean Brill joining us as I've always found him to be a solid, reliable goalkeeper at our level - which is exactly what we needed to recruit - so a good bit of business there I think.

Robbie Leitch officially joins Burnley on a free transfer.

I know I said it before but seriously, what the f**k. How can somebody who's never been deemed good enough to even make our match day squad end up getting signed for a Premiership club.

Mental.

don't think we are going to see him in Burnley's first team this season. One of their scouts must have saw something in him, probably in the youth cup final where he scored a cracker.

If it doesn't work out they have lost nothing as they got him for nothing.

don't think we are going to see him in Burnley's first team this season. One of their scouts must have saw something in him, probably in the youth cup final where he scored a cracker.

If it doesn't work out they have lost nothing as they got him for nothing.

Oh I doubt he'll ever kick a ball for Burnley but still, I find it curious that a prospective English Premiership side have been watching him play for our youth team and deemed him to be worth a punt.

Yet our management team, who see him day in day out, haven't once to the best of my recollection even brought him into the first team squad despite us being extremely stretched in midfield at times towards the end of last season.

In fact both Alan Campbell(17) and David Turnbull(16) made the the bench for the first team last season and both also got the nod to start ahead of Leitch in the Scottish cup final as well.

So it appears the likes of McGhee and Craigan seem to rank the other two boys ahead of Leitch. Which is why I find the move slightly curious.

Have they seen something we've missed? Or has Leitch blagged a cracking move on the back of a good 20 minute cameo in the cup final?

Oh I doubt he'll ever kick a ball for Burnley but still, I find it curious that a prospective English Premiership side have been watching him play for our youth team and deemed him to be worth a punt.

Yet our management team, who see him day in day out, haven't once to the best of my recollection even brought him into the first team squad despite us being extremely stretched in midfield at times towards the end of last season.

In fact both Alan Campbell(17) and David Turnbull(16) made the the bench for the first team last season and both also got the nod to start ahead of Leitch in the Scottish cup final as well.

So it appears the likes of McGhee and Craigan seem to rank the other two boys ahead of Leitch. Which is why I find the move slightly curious.

Have they seen something we've missed? Or has Leitch blagged a cracking move on the back of a good 20 minute cameo in the cup final?

I remember reading a book on scouting by Michael Calvin (might have even been followed up by a documentary on Sky Sports) which included an insight to Everton's scouting system under Moyes. They had an entire arm of their scouting network dedicated to identifying young players who would be unlikely to ever challenge for a first team place but who could be developed and sold on to lower league clubs.

I would presume Burnley have been watching Leitch throughout last season as opposed to only the final and have seen something to suggest that he could be developed into a player who could be shifted. Think you'd be surprised at the number of English scouts present at U20 games - Wigan watched Jack Hendry multiple times at that level last year and paid decent money to take him on the back of 4 first-team games.

I remember reading a book on scouting by Michael Calvin (might have even been followed up by a documentary on Sky Sports) which included an insight to Everton's scouting system under Moyes. They had an entire arm of their scouting network dedicated to identifying young players who would be unlikely to ever challenge for a first team place but who could be developed and sold on to lower league clubs.

I would presume Burnley have been watching Leitch throughout last season as opposed to only the final and have seen something to suggest that he could be developed into a player who could be shifted. Think you'd be surprised at the number of English scouts present at U20 games - Wigan watched Jack Hendry multiple times at that level last year and paid decent money to take him on the back of 4 first-team games.

The Nowhere Men. It's a really good book.

It's a bit rubbish that we ended up getting nothing for Leitch but it's swings and roundabouts I suppose since we exploited the same loophole for the giant centre half we've signed.

I also remember Humphrey's ex club having a heads gone moment when we signed him.

I spoke to Robbie directly a couple weeks ago, we did offer him an extension but said he was in his words being messed about by the club so when the decision came to go to Burnley he felt he had to go.  It is a shame we havent kept him but in grand scheme of things its a big step up for the lad so good luck to him.

I think it's probably fair to ask whether Burnley would have gone for him if they'd had to pay the compensation given, as has been pointed out, he hasn't played a first team game and seemed to be behind Maclean (and latterly Turnbull) in the pecking order.

Fair play to him for getting the move though. Hope he does well, that goal in the 20s cup final was a belter.

I think while yeah its a step up for him, he at times wasnt a regular starter within the 20s team himself, made a lot of appearances off the bench.  It is a good move but you cant help but think he has got the move from his performance in the youth cup final which was pretty good.    We still have some very good young prospects under contract in young Campbell for the next 3 years and i wouldnt be surprised if we do the same with the lad Turnbull in the near future as well. 

From what I've seen of the 20s Turnbull and Campbell both look like they've the potential to follow in Cadden's footsteps. I know everyone goes on about Campbell on account of the cup final performance but I think Turnbull looks like he could be a really accomplished midfielder.

I agree, I think Campbell can be a good player ive no doubt on that but Turnbull is certainly a promising talent as well and somone i will be watching carefully for the 20s next season as well.   I actually think as we get towards christmas time again we could see McGhee bring in another 2-3 of the youngsters in and give them an opportunity in much the same way we saw with Cadden and Hall.

Quite a few heads well and truly gone over the Leitch transfer on Steelmen Online. It's rather compelling viewing.

Mind boggling how grown men can get so worked up over a 18 year old that was no where near our first team

Nice one. Glad skippy has signed up for another season. Still think we should be going for a loan deal for Ryan Christie or Scot Allan

Delighted with that.

Agree with McGhee that he is still one of the best players in the country in his position and we're lucky to have him. Would have been just about impossible to replace him on our budget.

Now for a couple of central midfielders please.