Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It's an interesting bit of spiel in so much as McGhee states that he'll be a "key" player for us next season and highlights that he's one of our most effective players but there's quite a heavy emphasis on his coaching roles and him setting the tone in the squad. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we brought in a couple of midfielders at the very least (possibly more if Pearson's leaving) and had Lasley starting the season before starting to rotate once the team's bedded in a bit.

According to Scott Burns of the express we're set to sign 22 year old centre back, Ben Heneghan from Chester within the next 24 hours.

Never heard of the lad but if you google him the first thing that comes up is an article linking him with 4 English Championship clubs in January.

Looks like he's gonna be Hall's replacement.

According to Scott Burns of the express we're set to sign 22 year old centre back, Ben Heneghan from Chester within the next 24 hours.

Never heard of the lad but if you google him the first thing that comes up is an article linking him with 4 English Championship clubs in January.

Looks like he's gonna be Hall's replacement.

Maybe the Express have been looking at the players Alan Burrows is following on Twitter as well?

He's represented by an agency that we seem to be building a relationship with anyway. Same agency as Tait, who we'be also been strongly linked with.

Well if it's true that English Championship sides have been looking at this lad from Chester then he must have something about him and its route we have been successful with before so why not do it again.   Also pleased Lasley signed an extension, i think he still has a part to play on and off the pitch but i do feel we should also be getting his long term replacement ready with a view to perhaps replacing him before the season is out and allow Lasley to join Craigan on the coaching staff.

It's an interesting bit of spiel in so much as McGhee states that he'll be a "key" player for us next season and highlights that he's one of our most effective players but there's quite a heavy emphasis on his coaching roles and him setting the tone in the squad. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we brought in a couple of midfielders at the very least (possibly more if Pearson's leaving) and had Lasley starting the season before starting to rotate once the team's bedded in a bit.

Football is ultimately all about results.  Lasley has been a first pick because he's been one of our best players, season on season, since he came back to the club. 

If Lasley performs to the standard that he has already set he'll stay a first pick. 

The obsession with Lasley's age is really a silly side issue.  Like any player, if you perform, you play, if you don't, you don't. 

Lasley's importance to the team was never more telling last season than on the occasions when he was missing from the line up.  Without him, more often than not, we were a shambles.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

Triple signing this afternoon according to the Record.

Assume that will be Brill, Heneghan and Tait.

That'd be my guess as well. McDonald & Hammell confirming for next year would be nice too.

Edit: it's not Brill. Third player was Jacob Blyth the striker from Leicester. Tait and Heneghan both confirmed.

Edited by capt_oats

Just getting a chance to read the club's spiel. Tait's on a 3 year deal, Blyth on a 2 year +1 option, Heneghan on a 2 year deal. Looking at Grimbsy's forum Tait seems to have had a really good season and is pretty well regarded at that level. A 3 year deal is a fair commitment from us. Good to see we've gone out and brought in an actual full back though, it's been a while.

Looking forward to seeing all 3.

Pretty pleased with these signings, certainly homework has been done on them, the fact Tait is naturally a right back and signed for 3 years suggests to me that Josh Law is no longer required either.    The big striker is a target man type and i feel we have lacked a target man since higdon left.

I'm pleased that Lasley has been retained as he has single handedly carried our midfield for the past four years now and he is a real 'club man' whom having around the place is nothing but a positive. I do however hope that we bring in at least one other player to challenge his position with a view to replacing him as we can't expect him to do it all forever.

Pretty pleased with these signings, certainly homework has been done on them, the fact Tait is naturally a right back and signed for 3 years suggests to me that Josh Law is no longer required either.    The big striker is a target man type and i feel we have lacked a target man since higdon left.

Law will be required but as a back up player.

Just getting a chance to read the club's spiel. Tait's on a 3 year deal, Blyth on a 2 year +1 option, Heneghan on a 2 year deal. Looking at Grimbsy's forum Tait seems to have had a really good season and is pretty well regarded at that level. A 3 year deal is a fair commitment from us. Good to see we've gone out and brought in an actual full back though, it's been a while.

Looking forward to seeing all 3.

Tait and Heneghan both seem to be getting rave reviews from the fans of their former clubs, which is a positive sign I suppose. Heneghan was Chester's player of the year for both seasons he was at the club and a lot of Grimbsy fans seem to be touting Tait as their player of the year last year as well. 

Was expecting Brill to sign so Jacob Blyth was a new one to me. Seems to have had a Vardy-esque rise when Leicester bought him from Leamington in the 7th tier of English football but he never actually kicked a ball for them. Still has a fairly respectable record of 11 goals in 33 starts during various loan spells in League 1/2 and should at least provide us with a different option going forward. 

_90077655_motherwell2.jpg

Time will tell if they're any good, what did strike me is the fucking size of them. Both Blyth and Heneghan are huge, even the diminutive Tait looks a bit of unit. 

Looking at Tait's Instagram he seems to bloody love Crossfit and though he's not 6ft+ like the other two he's a unit.

From listening to his interview on MFC's YouTube it was great to hear him say that he's a defender, his job is to stop goals. A full back who actually knows how to defend will be a welcome addition.