Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Still need a good 2-3 I reckon.

I think that there will be possibly more than that especially if the likes of Pearson, Ainsworth, Chalmers and possibly even skippy move on.

Ideally I'd like a left back to compete with Hammell, skippy, and 2 first choice central midfielders.

Happy with the Brill signing.

Going by Flow on twitter tonight we've got offers out to both McDonald and El Bakhtaoui.

Surely we don't need both? In fact, I'm sure McGhee said not so long ago we couldn't afford both.

Yeah, he did. Quite emphatically too, basically said the deal was dead. Though qualified it by saying it looked likely McDonald was coming back, since then it appears other teams are interested. I'd be really unsure about us bringing El Bahktaoui in and putting the pressure of replacing McDonald on him.

Having said that, we've heard rumours that Pearson, Ainsworth and Law could all be off so who knows...if they were all to leave you'd be expecting those wages to fund midfield recruitment I'd guess.

Catenaccio is the way to go for us IMO.

Brill

Tait Laing McManus Heneghan Kennedy Johnson

Lasley Cadden

Moult Blyth

ETA: that would be a six man defence with Johnson at left back if P&B didn't f**k up the formatting.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

I'd hazard a guess that Hammell's 2 year deal is a trade off for him taking the pay cut. Can understand why he'd want a bit of security if the reduced terms have been to the extent reported.

Will be interesting to see if Chalmers is moved on and an alternative LB brought in.

Albion Rovers v 'Well Saturday 2nd July at Cliftonhill with a 3pm k-o

A discount for Season Ticket holders for both sets of supporters.

Season Ticket Holders – Should Season Ticket holders show a valid 2016/17 Season Ticket, the will gain entry for the discounted price of £8.

Adults – Â£10

Concessions – Â£5

Under 16’s – Â£3

Hammell must have taken some pay cut to get a new 2 year deal. He's only made made 40 odd appearances over the last 2 seasons and hasn't reached his previous (high)standards in those games. Better option than Chalmers and Straker mind but that ain't exactly saying much.

However with Pearson away, and going by Lennon's comments yesterday McDonald about to follow, that's a lot of experience and quality to lose from the team/squad. Keeping Hammell along with Lasley and McManus is probably more important than a lot fans like myself probably realise.

McGhee's certainly going to have his work cut out this summer anyway, trying to replace two players of Pearson and McDonald's quality within our budget.

From McGhee's interview re Hammell it sounds like he's done with the defence and concentrating on midfield and attack.

From that it suggests that skippy will be away if we're looking to get another attacker. It may be that he is just sorting the midfield first as it is the priority since our first pre season game is on Saturday.

Once that's done we can look at punting Chalmers out on loan and getting a replacement in hopefully.

Looking at the squad as is you can still see a fair amount of trimming that could be done. With Pearson having gone, (though reading between the lines it sounds like there's a fair chance we'll see him again in January), you'd think that 3 CMs is what we'd be looking at now plus another striker if McDonald leaves.

GK: Brill/Samson

RB: Tait/Law

RCB: Kennedy/Laing/Heneghan

LCB: McManus

LB: Hammell/Chalmers

RM: Cadden/Ainsworth

RCM: Lasley

LCM: 

LM: Johnson/Thomas

ST: Moult/Moore

ST: Blyth

plus some of the u20s being brought through with Watt, Ferguson, Campbell, Maclean, Turnbull, Mackin being the more obvious choices.

McGhee spoke of looking to run with a squad of around 20/21 and at the moment (unless I've missed someone) we're sitting on 18 with Law being rumoured to be moving on plus speculation about Ainsworth and there's obviously a huge question mark over Chalmers amongst the support though.

Given our pre-season games start this weekend then with a couple of additions in midfield this week you can pretty much see an XI that we could start there. Will definitely be interesting to see what other outgoings there are though.