Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

by the sounds of it Chester have screwed themselves out of compensation for Heneghan by offering him a deal too late.

never knew it had to be 60 days before their contract ends or the compo deal goes out the window.

It's not a well known rule, even down in England.

For English clubs to protect themselves with regards to training compensation against fellow English clubs, they have to offer a contract 14 days before expiry(so mid June assuming a contract expiry of 30th June).

To protect themselves against Scottish clubs then they need to offer a contract 60 days before expiry. It's not really happened a lot before so clubs haven't really been fussed with it. It's the same ruling that allowed us to sign Ade Azeez without giving Wimbledon any compensation.

I'd be surprised if we managed to get Bannigan but wouldn't be surprised if we'd spoken to him (if that makes sense?). He's been out of action for a while, Thistle fans may have a better idea of his injury and ETA for return than me and while we could probably offer more money I'm not sure it'd be enough to justify moving to another mid-table Premiership side.

If it's true he's been training with Thistle as part of his injury rehab then you'd think he'd probably reciprocate by extending for a year or something.

On Pearson, it'd definitely be a blow but the only consolation is that he missed a fair chunk of last season and eventually managed to be effective. McDonald is the one player that I had hoped we'd retain however if he moves I'd rather it was to a team that wasn't in the same league.

If Bannigan stays in Scotland, it'll either be at Aberdeen or Thistle. The longer it goes, the more likely I think he is to stay with us for at least another year.

If Bannigan stays in Scotland, it'll either be at Aberdeen or Thistle. The longer it goes, the more likely I think he is to stay with us for at least another year.

I think you're right and I doubt it'll be Aberdeen given they've just brought in a midfielder.

I think you're right and I doubt it'll be Aberdeen given they've just brought in a midfielder.

I think you're right too (x4!)

It's not a well known rule, even down in England.

For English clubs to protect themselves with regards to training compensation against fellow English clubs, they have to offer a contract 14 days before expiry(so mid June assuming a contract expiry of 30th June).

To protect themselves against Scottish clubs then they need to offer a contract 60 days before expiry. It's not really happened a lot before so clubs haven't really been fussed with it. It's the same ruling that allowed us to sign Ade Azeez without giving Wimbledon any compensation.

you learn something every day.

thanks for that.

Selling a 33 year old injury prone midfielder?

Fine wi me, tbh

And me. Pearson was extremely inconsistent as well as injury prone and we can't rely on a player like that, especially in an area that we are desperately short in. We needed to address the midfield while Pearson was here and we still need to address it now he is gone so nothing has changed.

Stevie Hammell was in training with Motherwell this morning so i suspect that shows he will be back for next season.  Might disappoint a few fans to be fair but if he can stay fit then we are a better team with him but certainly we need to be sure he can stay fit before we offer him anything thats how i would do it anyway.

No McDonald at training today I noticed, thats a blow if he isnt coming back.

Just watched McGhee's interview. Notable that he wasn't asked anything about the out of contract players.

I think with McDonald, as others have said, it's important that the club find out quickly what's going on and make a decision one way or another. If he's no longer under contract then we don't end up waiting about for him as happened last season. He's a hugely important player but equally he's had the past couple of months to indicate one way or another.