Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He's got 2 years to go on his deal so realistically if we were going to get the best price for him now is the time to sell. If it is actually the case that we've got our budgets in order then presumably we're in a position where we're happy to sell for our valuation but don't need to sell, though clearly we've been burned in the past taking that position. It depends how much the buying club want him and how quickly they want a deal done.

Given we apparently received £200k for an out of contract 19 year old who's moved to Brighton's u21s and played less than 20 first team games then I'd be a bit more hopeful than Desp as far as valuation goes. For a 25 year old key first team player with 50+ games under his belt for us and 2 years to run on his deal £750k-£850k plus add ons wouldn't seem outrageous especially relative to the English market. How much did May go for to Wednesday from St Johnstone and how long did he have left on his deal?

It'd be helpful if there were a couple of Championship sides interested tbh.

He had a year left.

We got £800k over two transfer windows, £200k through clauses then another £200k due to a sell on clause.

8 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

I see McGhee says in his interview that there will be no new arrivals to the club unless someone else leaves.  Says we've used our limit in the budget now.

In fairness both he and Alan Burrows effectively said the same thing the other week, it's just McGhee was more explicit in the press conference they posted up on their channel today. The line last week was that they are looking at bringing a central midfielder but they'd need "wheel and deal" a bit. My interpretation of that at the time was that they'd need to move someone (or a couple) on before they could bring the player they were after in.

40 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Love it. I assume bad lighting is to blame for it looking grey on the club shops' website, but here it is without the sponsor http://www.motherwelldirect.co.uk/product/2016-17-macron-away-short-sleeved-jersey-adult

I don't see us winning with our absentees and there is this nagging feeling that Ian Baraclough will go down in history as being the only Motherwell manager of recent times to beat a side called Rangers.

2-1 to Rangers.

At least you'll be happy with your wee teams win this afternoon then!

Ive personally given up on him coming back but whats the deal with Moore? Surprised not to see him in the squad at all.

He's played a part in most of the pre-season games, scored in one. Vs Rangers we started with one centre forward (McDonald) and two wingers (Johnson, Ainsworth) which meant we had two strikers on the bench (Moult, Blyth). Unfortunately for Moore there wasn't room for a 3rd on the bench.

Last season we were starting games with Johnson, Moult & McDonald as our front 3. If we revert to that then it'd (in theory) leave a spot for Moore as one of the strikers on the bench.

As it is though, Moult has a niggling groin injury that appears to need surgery and the rumour seems to be that he'll miss the first month of the season so I'd imagine Moore will be involved, most likely off the bench, while he's out.

Listening to McGhee post-match yesterday he seemed to be indicating that he plans on making the wide 433 with Johnson and Ainsworth one of our default systems going forward though once Lasley's back I can see a 442 with two strikers coming into play and Ainsworth on the bench.

Given the budget has been massively scaled back to a more realistic level based on our income then I'm not really sure what folk were expecting him to say. If he comes out saying we're going for Top 6 then he's making a rod for his own back.

The club's primary ambition should always be to stay in the league.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given the budget has been massively scaled back to a more realistic level based on our income then I'm not really sure what folk were expecting him to say. If he comes out saying we're going for Top 6 then he's making a rod for his own back.

The club's primary ambition should always be to stay in the league.

While thats true, he's gone down the same route with his comments as Steve Lomas did with us, and that eventually led to the entire fanbase and playing squad turning against him, especially if he starts bringing it up after every loss.

McGhee's ambitions really deluded a lot of followers yesterday. Talk about staying up is really depressing.

Deluded who?

Most fans Motherwell fans who aren't daft in the head know where we are at the moment. We started last season with the same ambitions and ended up finishing fifth.

While thats true, he's gone down the same route with his comments as Steve Lomas did with us, and that eventually led to the entire fanbase and playing squad turning against him, especially if he starts bringing it up after every loss.

Quite. My general rule with McGhee speaking to the press is to look at what he meant rather than what he actually said. Too many seem to just take him literally. The whole "I could've been managing Liverpool" thing being a good example of that.

McGhee's not averse to buck passing but at the same time I'd have thought given where MFC are at the moment in terms of transition "not getting relegated" would be a fairly obvious starting point.

Anything McGhee says should be taken with a pinch of salt if I'm honest, as he is a self important bag of wind and pish who likes the sound of his own voice IMO. Still though, it is not helpful in the slightest to hear the club's manager speaking like that as whether he meant it or not, he is setting a low bar of expectation to the players for the season ahead.