Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 2017-6-7 at 16:52, capt_oats said:

Are you really surprised though? Is that not just what he does? Inexplicably finds himself bouncing to a decent club despite not actually having been very good? He's made a career out of it!

Having said that I could actually see him doing OK having dropped down a level and at least he has a bit of positive history at St Mirren what with the league cup win. St Mirren and Killie are pretty much the only two clubs he's spent any real length of time at, 104 games at Saints and 78 at Killie.

He was always on a hiding to nothing at Fir Park given the bizarre circumstances in which he arrived and then having not played him for almost the entire season McGhee then decided to make him first choice before putting him though what seemed like footballing purgatory by playing him week in, week out no matter how many goals or points he cost. It was like he was going all out to publicly crush his spirit.

Edit to add: Just reading the transcript that some papers are running with Robinson's (excellent) interview from yesterday and while I'd heard him say he was looking at defenders I didn't pick up on him saying that he's actively looking for two centre halves as well as a striker with a bit of pace. The striker bit passed me by completely and I thought we'd have been looking at maybe one centre half tbh.

Just to highlight; St Mirren are not a 'decent club'. 

Five signings though? That should be a laugh.

Any info on Dylan Mackin guys?

We maybe looking at him for the development squad .....

Mackin done alright at times for us last season...big strong boy and can hold the ball up we'll...good in the air, scored a few goals for us...
He does frustrate at times as appears a bit lazy and slow at closing opposing players down but that said I would've been happy if we had signed him permanently...

Just to highlight; St Mirren are not a 'decent club'. 
Five signings though? That should be a laugh.

Aye, the Bigirimana signing has set a nice tone for the recruitment. If the other boy from Coventry that's rumoured to be joining signs up then even more so. I had kind of resigned myself to Vanarama types tbh. Instead we seem to be cherry picking out of contract guys from further up the pyramid. Which is nice.

Absolute scenes when Tam Scobbie finally signs tho.

30 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Capt Sensible get a new account?

Haha! - it did feel like a post had fallen through time from 10 years ago....almost makes me nostalgic for the times that Motherwell were the bad guys and St Mirren fans were the loudest voices around the place...

Just for the record;
Since there seems to be an abundance of cash around at Fir Park these days,can anyone shed any light on plans to give the guys shafted by "the company ,not the Club" the dosh they are due when the mighty Well entered admin back in the day?

No. HTH.

9 hours ago, Ivors_thick_lip said:

Just for the record;

Since there seems to be an abundance of cash around at Fir Park these days,can anyone shed any light on plans to give the guys shafted by "the company ,not the Club" the dosh they are due when the mighty Well entered admin back in the day?

Not saying for a minute mfc are legally obliged or anything but would be really nice to do the right thing.Big Twads is skint by all accounts.

Ftw

No.

We did what we had to do to survive in the grand scheme of things and in the end we did survive.

End of story.

Haha! - it did feel like a post had fallen through time from 10 years ago....almost makes me nostalgic for the times that Motherwell were the bad guys and St Mirren fans were the loudest voices around the place...

That's exactly my thought lol.....

Retro P&B. If he said St Mirren had more fans at FP than Motherwell I wouldn't have been surprised.

No.
We did what we had to do to survive in the grand scheme of things and in the end we did survive.
End of story.

To be fair though,not that it's much of an achievement, the players and staff effected by our administration got a fair whack of money they were owed. The sale of faddy and his sell on clause helped them and various other things got money to their pot. Whereas Dundee gave out a few pence in the pound (twice), livi the same ours came closer to 40 - 50p

Probably a better shop window for him up here than playing in League 1/League 2 in England, maybe he's going to give it a year and if it doesn't work out head back to America where he seems to be quite highly thought of by the Seattle Sounders fans.

From what I've managed to glean he seems to have had a good end of first season/beginning of his second season at Coventry where he managed a fairly impressive 5 goals in 10 games but his form tailed off and was supposedly quite poor before picking up a bad injury that's kept him out since March. Certainly seems to divide opinion among the Coventry support but surely somebody with 100 odd MLS games and a reasonable spell in League 1 behind him is going to be an upgrade on last summers midfield signings?  

Like Craig Clay, who was released by a Conference side, who seemed to get a two week trial(then subsequently a two year deal) because he was pals/shared an agent with Richard Tait and also offering three separate contracts in the space of six months to Lee Lucas.

Pretty much as Casagolda says, you can also add in that his wife's American (and daughter of ex-Swansea manager Bob Bradley and sister of ex-Roma midfielder Michael) so given he's spent most of his playing career over in the States then he may see a longer term future over there especially given he was offered an extension in Seattle but chose to knock it back to give it a go over here.

A 1 year deal gives him the chance to see how things go, it gives him a platform and find out whether he and his family settle. He also gets to see how the Robinson project pans out without being locked into a deal. Also, given McDonald's deal was officially 1 year but with an option it's entirely possible this is a similar sort of situation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/coventry-city/12138725/Andy-Rose-enjoying-his-honeymoon-period-at-Coventry-City-after-marrying-into-Bradley-family.html

Just now, Gianfranco said:

That's Andy Rose confirmed.

The article also says we've signed a left sided defender that we will announce after pre season - which seems completely bizarre. Any ideas?

DCNUFq8XUAAYJoW.jpg

To keep the mug shots up to date.

the defender one is bizarre - unless we are going to blur out the guy's face - his identity will be known as soon as pre-season starts. By mentioning it and not elaborating, it'll just make everyone look into it more - see the Streisand Effect. Are we to assume it's someone who has been out/injured long term and has something to prove fitness wise? Or is it someone whose contract is not up until the end of July? Other?

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Are we to assume it's someone who has been out/injured long term and has something to prove fitness wise? 

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair would be my guess, although it's a bit of a stretch to say he has Championship experience. Wigan were in the Championship when he was there but he played 0 games. Still going to chuck his name out there, though.