Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Noticed this in the Well Society mailshot that went out the other week, I had been wondering if there had been anything official about the Reserve League:

What are the plans for our reserve team?
There will be no reserve league this season and therefore technically we wont have a “reserve” team. The Club will play bounce games throughout the season to keep up the match sharpness of players who aren’t playing regular first team football.

Our Academy will remain the same. We firmly believe that it is important we let Steven Hammell and his team continue their excellent work and we will continue to support them in any way we can.

Genuinely quite curious to see how many are loaned out as you've got about 6 or 7 around the First Team who fall into that category and another 8 actual Reserves who don't have a league to play in but are presumably covered by furlough for the time being.

Edited by capt_oats

The flexible working arrangement allows you to be furloughed on days (or even hours) when you don't have sufficient work. Does that mean the reserve players who don't have games to play can come in and get paid for training and then be furloughed for their down-time? At a real stretch you could apply that to the first team but that would surely be abusing the system.

I know transfers can sometimes take time but I am beginning to question the narrative that we had more or less an agreement to sell at the previously negiotiated figure with Celtic. There is also the distinct possibilty that Lawwell is trying to shaft us and agree a decreased figure. I'm by no means in the camp that says we should be asking for 7/8m but getting less than what was agreed last summer would be a fucking joke.

I hope Robinson can give us some indication of what is happening in the pre-match press conference today. I don't really think its acceptable to be going into this European tie with the possibility we omit Turnbull from the squad based on a future transfer to Celtic that hasn't even been agreed. The more time goes on the more I think Celtic are trying to shaft us here.

4 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I know transfers can sometimes take time but I am beginning to question the narrative that we had more or less an agreement to sell at the previously negiotiated figure with Celtic. There is also the distinct possibilty that Lawwell is trying to shaft us and agree a decreased figure. I'm by no means in the camp that says we should be asking for 7/8m but getting less than what was agreed last summer would be a fucking joke.

I hope Robinson can give us some indication of what is happening in the pre-match press conference today. I don't really think its acceptable to be going into this European tie with the possibility we omit Turnbull from the squad based on a future transfer to Celtic that hasn't even been agreed. The more time goes on the more I think Celtic are trying to shaft us here.

Apparently issues with the medical

11 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Someone will need to teach him how to take a set piece first then

DT's taken what seems like 500 corners this season with no end product - I'm sure Polworth could manage that :)

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

DT's taken what seems like 500 corners this season with no end product - I'm sure Polworth could manage that :)

I honestly thought that was a bit.

Were the majority of Polworth's "2nd highest number of assists in the league" not like...from set pieces?

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Were the majority of Polworth's "2nd highest number of assists in the league" not like...from set pieces?

Always interests me how different every site has the assist figures.

StatBunker have Polworth at 10, Transfermarkt has it at 11, and WyScout have his league figures at 7 (+2 "secondary assists", +2 "third assists"). WyScout only have him registering 2 direct assists from a corner.

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Again I think they were but he hit some howling efforts anaw. I wasn't too convinced by his corners, central free kicks or shooting, I did think free kicks wide and about 20 yards back he was putting in some great crosses. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

To add to the assists that did register, Gallagher got three assists last season and all of them were heading Polworth set pieces in the direction of the eventual goalscorer. So that's another three above his own assists.

In fact, my only issue with Turnbull this season is that we haven't threatened from any of his corners really. So I'd probably go polar opposite and say can we keep Polworth's set pieces and give him the rest of Turnbull's game...

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Noticed this in the Well Society mailshot that went out the other week, I had been wondering if there had been anything official about the Reserve League:

Genuinely quite curious to see how many are loaned out as you've got about 6 or 7 around the First Team who fall into that category and another 8 actual Reserves who don't have a league to play in but are presumably covered by furlough for the time being.

Supposedly they’ll just be loaned out to lower league clubs which is decent enough and probably better experience wise but I don’t see many of the actual reserve players atm excluding the ones who’ve been involved and in around the first team actually getting a chance or making the step up. I’m positive we receive money from sending players out on loan and you never know it may actually give some a chance to prove their worth.

3 hours ago, Luke92 said:

I don’t doubt Lawwell will be trying to shaft us. It is what he / they do.....

I know this won’t happen but if a deal is not agreed he should be preparing for the Glentoran game. You could have a scenario where he does not play. We lose. The transfer does not go through. Worse case scenario but a scenario all the same. 

As stated above - same deal as before or better of get tae f*ck Celtic. 

I saw a couple of guys on Twitter say that DT hasn’t been at training the last few days. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they must be walking their dugs or something, rather than just creeping about on Turnbull watch.

Anyways, if that’s the case I’ll be pretty surprised if he’s still a Motherwell player by the end of the week and not a chance he’ll be risked tomorrow.

Edit : Just as I post - Robinson has confirmed he didn’t train and isn’t sure if he’ll be in the squad tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Turnbull is going to score against us this weekend isn't he?

aw aye.

2 goals aff the bench.
Good luck to him but he's basically dead to me regardless where he goes.

I would imagine that if the deal does go through before the weekend, there will be an agreement in place that he doesn't play against us on Sunday. 

It wouldn't make sense for Celtic to give a new signing that unnecessary additional pressure.