Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

53 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Serious question. When you sell Gallagher in January, will he command a bigger transfer fee than we got for Scott McKenna?

I don’t expect us to get much for Gallagher, if anything, he didn’t come through our system, signed a two year contract, will either play all or most of it out then leave.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Serious question. When you sell Gallagher in January, will he command a bigger transfer fee than we got for Scott McKenna?

Will we get more for a 29 year old with 6 months left on his deal than a 23 year old with 3 years at a club paying multiples of our wages? It's not really a serious question, is it?

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Gallagher will be away for hee haw and, strangely, I'm fine with that. In reality he owes us nothing. He's not really got any connection to the club prior to signing but has come in and always given his all.

If he has even a half decent Euros then an English Championship club will likely stick £10k a week for 3 years in front of him as well as a hefty signing on fee. I don't think anyone will grudge him that.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone will grudge him his pay-day. He's completely surpassed our expectations, seems eager to acknowledge our part in his progress and we've got a great player for 2 years.

This is on the premise he heads south. The well-wishes will reduce if he goes to the likes of Aberdeen or Hearts for better wages and drop off a cliff if he goes to Celtic.

I Think Scott McKenna is a good donkey. He's a big lump of wid. Big strong centre half. Good player in the 1980's type. Still a good player in our league.

But over-hyped carthorse is a good description.

45 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Absolutely. I don't think anyone will grudge him his pay-day. He's completely surpassed our expectations, seems eager to acknowledge our part in his progress and we've got a great player for 2 years.

This is on the premise he heads south. The well-wishes will reduce if he goes to the likes of Aberdeen or Hearts for better wages and drop off a cliff if he goes to Celtic.

Im pretty sure we will be in for him, we will politely decline signing Duffy and Ajer will almost certainly so signing  a well* proven scottish defender for nothing is a no brainer for me.

* ETA - apologies for the unintentional shite pun.   

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I had a look back at the expectations around the time he got his first call up and most of the posts were pretty rational given the circumstances and Gallagher's situation. It's back here with some earlier chat here btw. It's fair to say he's surpassed those modest expectations though.

It's worth remembering that he was only drafted into the squad as cover after McKenna, Souttar, Cooper, Hanley and Halkett picked up injuries. While Mulgrew, Devlin and Findlay got the nod ahead of him for the games against Russia and San Marino.

So absolutely fair play to him for as he's put in the graft to earn Clarke's trust and it appears he's now part of Scotland's first choice back 3 ahead of all of them (given both McKenna and Cooper were available on Thursday).

This from @Desp was particularly prescient (and completely fair):

On 01/10/2019 at 14:23, Desp said:

Gallagher not being called-up is absolutely fine with me.

I see a lot of "well, he's better than *insert player here*".  You could very well argue the case that Gallagher at this moment in time is a better option than Mikey Devlin, but the question you really need to ask is, 'Is Gallagher good enough to play for Scotland?".   I don't really buy the argument that because one of our players is a bit less shit than the shit that's currently in the squad then they deserve a call-up.  If Gallagher is a stand out for us  all season as we storm to 3rd place, then there's perhaps time for a conversation then.  Until then, let him rest and keep up 100% for Motherwell.

Stand out all season ✅
Storm to 3rd place ✅

Only part that was missing was 6 internationals unbeaten and taking us to the Euros.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, MP_MFC said:

I've never been happier to draw St Johnstone in a cup. A tie away to arbroath or ayr woulda been a great visit hell, even Alloa to tick that off the list.

Feelings mutual tbh. Its heartbreaking enough to miss out on trips to Kelty and Peterhead this season for competitive games, if we'd gotten Dunfermline away and missed it I'd have been raging.

Shite draws for shite times.

I think Gallagher and Halkett merited a Scotland call-up while at Livi and you could argue they outperformed Kelly and Dykes. The contrasting fortunes of Gallagher and Halkett has been stark and I think goes to show that your teammates can really f*ck it up for you. You guys are in a similar boat to us in that these players didn't come through our youth setup, so no compo case, and we lost them on free transfers. Tbh, it's not a big deal, Halkett and Lawless signed one year extensions so I knew they were going and I'm much happier we had them in the team than losing them earlier. 

Edited by crispy

7 hours ago, crispy said:

I think Gallagher and Halkett merited a Scotland call-up while at Livi and you could argue they outperformed Kelly and Dykes. The contrasting fortunes of Gallagher and Halkett has been stark and I think goes to show that your teammates can really f*ck it up for you. You guys are in a similar boat to us in that these players didn't come through our youth setup, so no compo case, and we lost them on free transfers. Tbh, it's not a big deal, Halkett and Lawless signed one year extensions so I knew they were going and I'm much happier we had them in the team than losing them earlier. 

Gallagher had to move to a real team to see if he was actually good rather than being propped up by a plastic park.

Looks like Halkett was found out.