Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Genuinely is it probably not the worst thing that we saw the same problems again today that we've seen all season? Shows Alexander the problems we have so it's down to him to fix them. 

Aye, I mean it'd have been smashing if we'd suddenly turned into 1970s Brazil but I guess an accurate reflection of the season gives Alexander an idea of what's up. We've still moved up a spot and not losing after last week's shitshow is...a positive.

Given the circumstances where we've got a new manager just in the door who's had 1 (one) training session and is probably lucky if he knows everyone's names plus (another) new goalkeeper making his debut it feels like today had the potential to go a different direction.

I'm a bit deflated that we didn't see that out again - but it is a persistent failing and needs addressed. Seeing us on the back foot in the 2nd half is a weekly occurrence and one that Alexander needs to tackle as we were absolutely fine in the first half. Inviting teams onto us allied to a habit of giving away goals is a dangerous combination.

Edited by Swello

4 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We definitely need a couple of bodies in. Even if it’s just someone else to come off the bench that’s not White.

It feels like we need a "main" striker rather than a White replacement. Even the best Motherwell teams had a habit of giving away daft goals - but they were probably a couple of goals up when they did. As long as we are needing a clean sheet to get 3 points, we are under huge pressure.

5 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

We definitely need a couple of bodies in. Even if it’s just someone else to come off the bench that’s not White.

A striker (note: an actual striker that actually plays through the middle instead of an attacking option) and a big b*****d centre half in the mould of Aldred/original Peter Hartley would be nice.  

That patreon was great fun to record fwiw so I'm glad folk enjoyed it, thanks to @dezz for his fine work on it too.

Today... I dunno. Today felt better? It felt simplified, felt more direct. The whole second half was just a bad fuckin game of football and it was a shocker of a decision that cost us. 

I feel for white in the same way I felt for Joe Chalmers in that it isn't a lack of effort from him, I just don't think he's good enough at this level, and I kind of felt that today highlighted it again. He's half a yard short speed/thinking/football wise. An actual scoring/unit centre forward our priority, imo.

You could sort of see the point of White going on with the two other forwards either side,  but we do nothing to play to whatever strengths he may have.  If the manager looks at every game that White has come on then he will understand that overall it is detrimental to the team.  I don’t necessarily think it is White’s fault.

I think @thisGRAEME isn't far off it. I don't harbour any grudge against Jordan White. He's just not good enough for this level. His touch, turn & shot right at the end was absolutely the right idea but he's just slow to execute any of it.

We were a bit better today. Still soft as shite at the back in parts but things looked a bit better overall. Hopefully a centre forward and a defender will sort us out.

23 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

We were a bit better today. Still soft as shite at the back in parts but things looked a bit better overall. Hopefully a centre forward and a defender will sort us out.

Clocked this from Alexander's post-match press stuff:

"But there is a lot for us to take on. We need to improve in a couple of positions but there is a group here that can win games.''

Link

Ideally I'd like a centre back, a midfielder and a centre forward pls.

I'd like to think that this week will give him a chance to get his feet under the desk and have a look at the bodies he has - in fairness he pretty much said as much in his post-match.

Not sure if next week is a good thing or not, perhaps a week with a free hit at the end of it but the opportunity for points would have been better.

In saying that, a good week on the training field and a well drilled performance could see us produce a surprise.

A quick goal and a 5-5-0 repeat?

38 minutes ago, ropy said:
Not sure if next week is a good thing or not, perhaps a week with a free hit at the end of it but the opportunity for points would have been better.
In saying that, a good week on the training field and a well drilled performance could see us produce a surprise.
A quick goal and a 5-5-0 repeat?

I think it’s a good thing. Not really much pressure on him to win so can use it to better sound out the squad and then make any appropriate changes in the transfer window.

The must win game is Ross County (A) at the end of the month.
As long as we’re fully prepared and take 3 points from that then I’ll count it as progress made. Going into Ross County with (potentially) 0 wins in 13 is giving me the fear though but I’m actually fairly confident going into the Rangers game considering we’ve got a manager that (hopefully) won’t concede defeat before the match has begun, a hard task still!

Edited by ZX1886

I’ve written the Rangers game off, just an improvement would be a start. Certainly not writing anything off against Aberdeen as we usually do quite well against them, 4 points from the next three games would be very decent. As above though strengthening right down the spine would make a huge difference and would be enough to pull us clear.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Clocked this from Alexander's post-match press stuff:

Ideally I'd like a centre back, a midfielder and a centre forward pls.

I'd like to think that this week will give him a chance to get his feet under the desk and have a look at the bodies he has - in fairness he pretty much said as much in his post-match.

I agree that all those positions are ones we need to strengthen, but we also desperately need some creativity out wide. Hastie was the only player who didn’t get pass marks at all for me today. Ineffectual once again. We either need to play a formation that doesn’t have wingers or sign some good ones.