Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Self important p***ks, Hosetly think the world revolves around them. This c**t annoyed me too

The 2nd one is the twitter type that fucks me off - he had his original lie corrected by Burrows and just shamelessly ploughs on with his shite argument. 

Reading through that twitter feed it seems many of them would prefer to play all 38 games at Parkhead, that way they can all be accommodated.

Seems odd that they go on about how many seats were free in the home end, whereas when we played them in December their home end was full of empty seats. However last Wednesday it was rammed, it's almost as if some of their fans only buy their season tickets for the bilefest twice a season.

As Flow said, the club is there to look after the fans who look after the club.

Not the flash Da who shows up once every 3 months, nutmegs the wean and then runs about celebrating as if it's some sort of achievement.

I remember we were allowed a vote as to whether we should move from the Cooper Stand to the main stand for Skippy Sunday so they could fill it with Celtic fans. We voted no and stayed where we were.

The first game of the next season was against Celtic- we were moved to the main stand despite the previous vote. It took a long while to get some level of trust back.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

The 2nd one is the twitter type that fucks me off - he had his original lie corrected by Burrows and just shamelessly ploughs on with his shite argument. 

I am more annoyed the cúnt is probably on the system.

Maybe to maximize crowds, add consistency to pricing, give away fans a fair deal, and improve our game, we can go back to the old model of splitting gate receipts. Since you can't have a game with just one team. Giving all fans a view of the full pitch would be nice too.

Alternatively, we could all agree that spouting sectarian bile is bad and avoid vandalizing seats, and maybe the atmosphere would be less toxic and less families would avoid the game.

For now, I think we should just do what annoys the Celtic da's that probably put on their full replica kit to post on the forums and twitter the most.

In the context of the Watt deal, it's a bit of an eye-opener that Utd just announced a £2.5m loss and a wage:turnover ratio of 132% (although I assume that is mostly pandemic related as turnover went through the floor)

28 minutes ago, Swello said:

In the context of the Watt deal, it's a bit of an eye-opener that Utd just announced a £2.5m loss and a wage:turnover ratio of 132% (although I assume that is mostly pandemic related as turnover went through the floor)

Granted they were in the lower leagues the seasons prior but it's not a one off either. Our wage:turnover ratio was 130% at the time of administration right?

FLD2cKkWQAADrlO?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by capt_oats

Am I reading that correctly that Utd spent £5m in wages in the 2020/21 season?  How does that compare to us?

That's even before bringing in the likes of Mulgrew & Watt.  How much did they end up selling Shankland for?

26 minutes ago, Desp said:

Am I reading that correctly that Utd spent £5m in wages in the 2020/21 season?  How does that compare to us?

We spent £4.2m on "staff", which isn't just players and I assume is the comparable figure to Utd. Our accounts make note of the mental size of our squad at that point due to injuries and general panic (I'm paraphrasing that last part) - that was about 500k more than we spent the season before.

While picking through an opposition club's finances tends to be something Celtic Da's spend their every waking hour like to do it is quite something to see Dundee United try to reenact that KLF video. Ogren saying he believes the club will turn a profit in 12 months is giving the same energy as some lad in the bookies telling you his next horse is definitely the winner. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

While picking through an opposition club's finances tends to be something Celtic Da's spend their every waking hour like to do it is quite something to see Dundee United try to reenact that KLF video. Ogren saying he believes the club will turn a profit in 12 months is giving the same energy as some lad in the bookies telling you his next horse is definitely the winner. 

As you say, if they want to go full K Foundation then absolutely fair play to them but it's a pretty clear answer to the "sUreLy uNiTed dOn'T pAy mUcH MoRe ThAn uS?!?!" crowd who were bumping their gums about Watt moving...

In a normal season (when we don't have half our squad out with injuries) our entire wage bill for the club was £3.7m. From the looks of things United's comparable wages are hitting £5m.

Edited by capt_oats

As an aside, turns out there were apparently clubs in for O'Hara through January.

Also big Grezza is saying it's his fault we got scudded on Sunday.

"I've fought against it for 12 or 13 months. I have had a reality check about what it's about, but it won't stop us from trying to win next time we play either of them.

"Results against the top two won't define our season. It's about what we do against the teams around us in the league."

"It was difficult to find positives as it was a really tough afternoon for us. I have to take responsibility for that more than the players do. I think I got things wrong."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I get the feeling United are banking on managing to sell the majority of this current youth crop for decent money, which could work out but is... interesting.

Ogren has said this aye, he genuinely expects to be selling a player for £2m+ every season.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ogren has said this aye, he genuinely expects to be selling a player for £2m+ every season.

Fair play to him, but they'd probably have to have the best group of young players since Hibs in the mid 2000s for that to work out. 

Our intake of a few years ago was pretty much a "golden generation" by Premiership standards and we only really got big money for Turnbull and Scott. Campbell, Hastie and Cadden (snake) left for compensation fees and a few others went down south before we'd really seen them play.

Long winded way of saying I hope United go bust.

19 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Fair play to him, but they'd probably have to have the best group of young players since Hibs in the mid 2000s for that to work out. 

Our intake of a few years ago was pretty much a "golden generation" by Premiership standards and we only really got big money for Turnbull and Scott. Campbell, Hastie and Cadden (snake) left for compensation fees and a few others went down south before we'd really seen them play.

Long winded way of saying I hope United go bust.

Tbf I don't think he expects it always to be youth prospects.

Ogren's £2m sale a season seems optimistic but on reflection, as Burrows pointed out to one of his reply guys (though tbf I'm assuming *checks notes* ******Gambino isn't a Motherwell fan) we've averaged out £1m of transfer revenue a season for the past 5 years. So given United's level of investment hitting some sort of average transfer revenue around that figure maybe isn't as wild as it seems.

As @YassinMoutaouakil touches on it's a broader discussion but there definitely seems to be a growing market for trading the youth players the problem I guess is how you actually get the value there with the English academies targeting them before they've even kicked a ball for our first team.

We've already seen it with McKinstry to Leeds and McAlear to Norwich while there was chat a while back about Sam Campbell being of interest to Liverpool and Leeds (in fact the story was we'd actually accepted offers) then more recently there was Man City being linked with Bailey Rice.

That really starts to take us into the more existential "what's the point of academies if they barely see the first team?" question.

Speaking of former academy players...he's at it again.

Edited by capt_oats