Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Need to take at least 4 points from Dundee United / Ross County. Then I think it all comes down to what we do against Hearts. Europe seems a long shot and I’m more than ready to be done with this season.

Will reluctantly drag myself out to watch Rangers have fun with our defence. Going to parkhead again when they are due to lift the title has 5-0 all over it.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Lose to Rangers, draw at United, win the next two, lose at Celtic, fifth.

Maybe.

7 points will probably be enough for 4th.

United would need to take 6 points from their other 4 games. And two of those are against the OF.

We might not even have to do that much for 4th. Beat Utd and draw with County could be enough.

Dundee Utd have won 2 league games in the last 10. We shouldn't think we can't go up there and beat them. 

Ross County have been on some run recently, granted. However they've had some rub of the green. The last 3 wins coming via 1-0 wins and all penalties. Even the January win against us involved a penalty and an OG. We shouldn't think we can't go up there and beat them either.

I say we finish 4th and then go on holiday. 

4 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Dundee Utd have won 2 league games in the last 10. We shouldn't think we can't go up there and beat them. 

Ross County have been on some run recently, granted. However they've had some rub of the green. The last 3 wins coming via 1-0 wins and all penalties. Even the January win against us involved a penalty and an OG. We shouldn't think we can't go up there and beat them either.

I say we finish 4th and then go on holiday. 

All of that is true but…

That would rely on the team starting games like they have been finishing them. With what was at stake on Saturday they were very poor until the 2nd half and almost until we went 2-0 down. 

I would love a European adventure but I am kind of steeling myself for 6th. The 3 away games tip the odds in Ross C and United favour. Ross County have been getting the breaks. Even on Saturday they had less that 40% possession and a fraction of the attempts Aberdeen had. You would hope that stops as I feel if we are to catch one team it would be them.

IMHO United have a decent side and on paper are slightly better. Ross County on paper are poorer, not by much.

Clearly we need to be at least 2 points ahead of either side come the final post split game as we will get nothing from Parkhead apart from a drubbing. Either that or we are one point ahead and it would surprise no one if the Ross C v United game ended in a draw.  We need to ensure that one of those teams or both need to win that final game. 

County are clearly exceptionally solid - it's one thing saying they've been a little fortunate with three 1-0 wins, for us to count three clean sheets you have to go back to November...and in Hungbo/RCC they have a couple of guys you'd back to find a goal.

United are basically just as fragile as us with a marginally better 'recent' record.

Logically - current form, away record, KVV being out etc - we're favourites for sixth. We'll lose to Rangers but a result at Tannadice is not beyond us, nick that and I have a sneaky feeling we'll do it. Somehow.

I'm now at a point where I will be quite disappointed if we don't manage to get Europe, three way shoot out for two places providing Hibs don't win the cup. 

I'd imagine 4 points from County and UTD would be enough to get at least 5th. Hearts at Fir Park on the same night Utd and County play the old firm could be huge.

so aye, some Cypriot mob in June should be the aim.

8 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'll be happy with 6th too. But I spoke to the lads and they said it will be 4th. Just been keeping things in reserve this year for the post split push. 

If only they'd let us in on the secret that the past 4 months of shite was all just an elaborate ploy to conserve their energies, then blitz 15/15pts on the run in and cruise into Europe, a whole lot of heartache could have been spared. Selfish c***s. 

There is a good chance there will be no movement in the table after the first round of fixtures, so it is a four game shoot out with us a point behind.

Then two rounds for us to gather meaningful points, after that we will know if we need anything in the last two games (Hearts).

I’m not one to discount anything when it’s mathematically possible but I’ve seen nothing to suggest we will get anything post split.

Story since Xmas has been repeatedly needing two goals to get something from a game because someone has made a hash of it and we conceding within the first half hour.

This gives me no confidence we are in any position to be all gallus swaggering up to Tanadice or Dingwall.

I'm probably a lot more enthusiastic about the remainder of the season than you lot seem to be. Mainly because I would find us finishing 4th after being so pish very very funny but also because I'd always rather be in Europe than playing Edinburgh City and QotS again this summer.

I think United are pretty much as bad as us, Watt has literally been the only difference between the sides this season.  County have the best manager of the 3 and are on the best run of form atm but in this league probably means they're overdue a collapse. 

I'm interested to see if we can take some (much needed) confidence from the last couple of games and start to look a bit more resilient - because we have been one of the easiest teams in the league to score against since New Year. Also - this doesn't make good reading given the makeup of the Top 6

I think we are pretty much the underdogs for Europe - and that's not a bad place for us to be normally...