Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Tbf, as of the weekend, the Clubs themselves didn't have much info if the Stirling Albion statement was anything to go by. 

Only two that sticks out as shockers against us are Rangers goal at Ibrox and St Mirren's in the 1-1 draw when Kelly was penalised for having his foot off the line.  

The SPFL met what was it? three/four weeks ago to discuss according to a BBC story? This eleventh hour stuff is nothing more than an oversight to avoid subsequent criticism. Too little too late.

All they are canvassing is essentially a straw poll based on gut feelings with a tad of our own experiences watching the EPL.

By all means gets input but supply people with background information that allows an informed choice.

@Swello hits then nail on the head, this is something worthy of consultation. They WS really need to define what warrants going to the membership and what doesn’t.

Imagine Les or Boyle still ran the show. When Flao went to the meeting last month he would have reported back to allow the owner to take advice and come to a position either by consensus or by dictate.

The WS need to start behaving as owners, despite being run by committee.

39 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

spoke to a WS board member and they said the SPFL sent papers out yesterday and that's why we've been emailed.

But the email from the society didn't contain any of that information - that's what I found weird/frustrating - there was no need to wait.

Yeah I agree.

I'd reckon the SPFL dunno what they are doin either though or the club just wanna get a feel on how the fans feel. It will go through regardless I reckon.

29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Yeah I agree.

I'd reckon the SPFL dunno what they are doin either though or the club just wanna get a feel on how the fans feel. It will go through regardless I reckon.

Aye, it will 100% go through.

Personally not a fan, and think it will be detrimental to the match day experience. Not looking forward to all the stoppages and disruption to the flow of the game. 

Due to the nature of the game here, there are two clubs that ordinarily enjoy high percentages of possession in most of their games, playing mainly in their opponents half. They therefore will, by default, have a much higher number of contestable decisions to be reviewed in their favour than the other sides will. For every contentious offside goal or handball decision to be reviewed that a Motherwell or St Mirren will have in these matches, the other two will have fivefold. Not saying this isn't right, but playing the percentages I think the smaller sides are far better off without it. Sometimes poor officiating is the only leveller we have against them.

For games between the other 10 teams in the league, I'd rather take my chances with the officials as they are, and enjoy watching games that are as free flowing as possible. 

We all bemoan the quality of the refereeing in Scotland, which is undoubtedly shite, but it's part of our overall shite package and can sometimes work in our favour as well as against. Plus the fact that, with our refs being as bad as they are, who the f**k do we entrust to do the var reviews? 

The Glasgow pair, along with Sky will push for it and will get their way, but for us diddies I think it will only increase the points gulf between them and the rest of us even further. These sort of changes just further reinforce the fact thst their monopoly on the league will, depressingly, never ever be breached. It's a no from me.

Edited by 'WellDel

People seem to think VAR is gonna decrease the amount of poor decisions smaller teams get against the OF.
Have you seen the amount of wee skiffs that get given? They don't look to clear anything they look for an excuse to give fouls.

Skiff and down is an OF specialty

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

People seem to think VAR is gonna decrease the amount of poor decisions smaller teams get against the OF.
Have you seen the amount of wee skiffs that get given? They don't look to clear anything they look for an excuse to give fouls.

Skiff and down is an OF specialty

Exactly what i was trying to say in my rambling post above !! Playing the percentages, they will have multiple times the reviews in their opponents box/final third than they will in their own, which could easily see negative decisions for them overturned, and the 3 or 4 nil scuddings we expect just now regularly becoming 6 or 7 goal doings instead. A depressing thought for all, including that pair, no matter what they say. There can surely be no pleasure gained in watching that kind of procession every week, even for those cnuts.

As I say though, what that pair of scud books and Sky want is what we will get.

I'm honestly just not that arsed about refereeing?

Sometimes goes for you. Sometimes doesn't. 

That's life, innit? Like, even in the past fortnight, Livi, for example, could be rightly aggrieved at not getting a penalty in Perth. Shite decision. Similarly, they absolutely went to pieces in the last 20 against us when they were 2 up, and that's what ultimately cost them a top six spot.

Struggle to think of many single, individual, season changing standout decisions that cost us. 

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

That's life, innit? Like, even in the past fortnight, Livi, for example, could be rightly aggrieved at not getting a penalty in Perth. Shite decision. Similarly, they absolutely went to pieces in the last 20 against us when they were 2 up, and that's what ultimately cost them a top six spot.

Struggle to think of many single, individual, season changing standout decisions that cost us. 

Not season changing but the goal at Ibrox was ridiculous 

For me VAR is a big YES.  Not perfect. Far from it.

But I could sleep a little easier when I see the ref for our game is Collum / Madden / Beaton etc. Or when we play Rangers or Celtic. 

Take the Ross County penalty at Fir Park. I was sitting in the East stand in line and I genuinely thought the ref was going to give a free kick. That is one where VAR might even struggle. But at the time I was raging. If after a couple of minutes of VAR it is / was awarded I would certainly be more accepting of the decision during the match. 

How many dodgy decisions have we had this season ? I can think of a fair few against us. 

I also like the fact that it will be paid for (suggested proposal) on a sliding scale. Based on prize money. So the irony is that Celtic and Rangers will pay the most and will most likely be more adversely affected than other clubs 👏👏

49 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Came on to say this, I genuinely think the last time I was properly raging at a refereeing decision was Christian Panucci scoring at Hampden in 2007.  You'll get mistakes but it's a variable that affects both teams equally and 99.9% of the time you'll still end up getting what you deserve from a game.  Implementing VAR feels like suggesting we play every game in the Oriam in case a gust of wind catches a goalie out.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

7 hours ago, welldaft said:

For me VAR is a big YES.  Not perfect. Far from it.

But I could sleep a little easier when I see the ref for our game is Collum / Madden / Beaton etc. Or when we play Rangers or Celtic. 

Take the Ross County penalty at Fir Park. I was sitting in the East stand in line and I genuinely thought the ref was going to give a free kick. That is one where VAR might even struggle. But at the time I was raging. If after a couple of minutes of VAR it is / was awarded I would certainly be more accepting of the decision during the match. 

How many dodgy decisions have we had this season ? I can think of a fair few against us. 

I also like the fact that it will be paid for (suggested proposal) on a sliding scale. Based on prize money. So the irony is that Celtic and Rangers will pay the most and will most likely be more adversely affected than other clubs 👏👏

You've summed up everything I came on to say about it. I used to be completely against it, didn't want it anywhere near our game but as time has went on and this season in particular, I've changed my opinion. The Sakala goal at Ibrox that was clearly offside and Kelly apparently being off his line for the St Mirren penalty are 2 that stand out to me off the top of my head that IMHO VAR would have overturned. As fans we often say that Scottish football can be years behind the rest of the world so for me, bringing in VAR would at least bring us up to date with that part of it. Of course, in an ideal world we'd get a complete overhaul of our referees and replace the duds of Collum, Clancy, Dallas, Beaton and Walsh etc but that won't happen so for me VAR is the next best thing.

9 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Exactly what i was trying to say in my rambling post above !! Playing the percentages, they will have multiple times the reviews in their opponents box/final third than they will in their own, which could easily see negative decisions for them overturned, and the 3 or 4 nil scuddings we expect just now regularly becoming 6 or 7 goal doings instead. A depressing thought for all, including that pair, no matter what they say. There can surely be no pleasure gained in watching that kind of procession every week, even for those cnuts.

As I say though, what that pair of scud books and Sky want is what we will get.

There are poor decisions made against every team in the league and yes that includes the old firm, the most blatant ones should in theory be overturned using VAR. It’s just a case of whether it’s better to allow that to continue or suffer the stop, start nature of VAR. One things for sure, the refs won’t get any better.

I will be absoluitely gutted if/when Las goes.

Also, I always thought Conor Shields was stocky in a Scott McDonald kinda way, but just watched the Cryotherapy video with him and Bevis, and he's absolutely JJJJJJJJJJACKED bro! He's out-lifting Bevis and Woolery without even trying IMHO.