Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Was Magloire that bad? I don't exactly see where he fits into our current CB options but I can see why someone might take a punt on him because he's fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game.

I remember at the time thinking he would maybe make a better fullback.

39 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Was Magloire that bad? I don't exactly see where he fits into our current CB options but I can see why someone might take a punt on him because he's fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game.

I could maybe see it if O'Connor decides he's more likely to get first team games elsewhere or we're not offering him anything? Magloire's only a year older but has actually had a run of sorts at this level. I don't see him starting ahead of Sol, Bevis, Ojala or even Lamie (if he sticks around).

Everything else really points to it being a Robinson thing. I imagine he landed here from a big list Robinson had before he resigned. Given Alexander was only just in the door I doubt anyone signed in that window was a Grezza pick and he ended up at Northampton after that with Foyle having been HoR for them.

Also "fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game" sounds very famililar.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Never rated these types of deals tbh. Same with hibs letting folk in for a fiver, or the various "bring a mate" and other jibberish Boyle tried. Rovers ran cheap tickets a few years ago on the basis that if x thousand folk showed up they'd stay cheap, it lasted about 3 weeks. I understand the theory that "they'll come along once and keep coming!" but there's...almost no evidence for this, anywhere?

Similarly, cutting prices randomly devalues season tickets of folk who have committed to come every week. 

If folk won't come and support their team when they're in the mire as much as Dundee are, then you probably need to spend some time figuring out why that is and fix it long term... which we're pretty good at.

I'll disagree with you on that one. You're incorrectly putting the emphasis on repeat business over just a bit of short term gain which this would offer.

The vast majority of our season ticket holders seem content with contributing to the future financial planning of the club and few consider the PPG. If you missed 3 games this year though holiday, work and another though isolating, your season ticket offers no financial benefit. Also this year when tickets were free 200 odd still paid their due's.

It wasn't suggested for longevity, we're about to start a 2 month break from football so no momentum will be gained. It was merely to get a few more in for two games.

Any walk up Dundee fans now have a wee help in the pocket and more incentive to make both games rather than one or another. Nothing deeper than that.

Did everyone else get the email this afternoon from the 'Well Society asking for members opinions on VAR? Given the deadline for responses is tomorrow evening, it doesn't give much time for people to throw in their two cents - not that is matters really as I fully expect the vote to pass when its voted on next Tuesday. There's a full thread on the introduction of VAR so I won't bog down the thread with my opinion (VAR is fucking shite) but just in case anyone missed the email and wants to fire an email off.

Yeah, a day to give info back is a bit of a forehead slap on their part. For all we think we know it would be nice to have the arguments put forward by the club, both for and against then we can make an informed decision with facts and context over conjecture and feelings.

Would be interesting to go back over all Sportscene's trials this season how we would have fared, Not that Micky and Thomo are always right but they are more often than the men in the middle.

More penalties than 2? Less conceded? Goals awarded/overturned? Red cards up or down. Would it even out as the old adage goes? 

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

Yeah, a day to give info back is a bit of a forehead slap on their part. For all we think we know it would be nice to have the arguments put forward by the club, both for and against then we can make an informed decision with facts and context over conjecture and feelings.

Would be interesting to go back over all Sportscene's trials this season how we would have fared, Not that Micky and Thomo are always right but they are more often than the men in the middle.

More penalties than 2? Less conceded? Goals awarded/overturned? Red cards up or down. Would it even out as the old adage goes? 

Tbf, as of the weekend, the Clubs themselves didn't have much info if the Stirling Albion statement was anything to go by. 

Only two that sticks out as shockers against us are Rangers goal at Ibrox and St Mirren's in the 1-1 draw when Kelly was penalised for having his foot off the line.  

39 minutes ago, dezz said:

Did everyone else get the email this afternoon from the 'Well Society asking for members opinions on VAR? Given the deadline for responses is tomorrow evening, it doesn't give much time for people to throw in their two cents - not that is matters really as I fully expect the vote to pass when its voted on next Tuesday. There's a full thread on the introduction of VAR so I won't bog down the thread with my opinion (VAR is fucking shite) but just in case anyone missed the email and wants to fire an email off.

Yeah, I got the email about an hour ago as well.

I should be able to fire off a quick email as my stance is pretty straightforward; I'm in favour of VAR in principle (fixing clear and obvious mistakes is a.good.thing) but I have absolutely zero faith that it's something that will be applied in that spirit by referees in Scottish fitba.

29 minutes ago, dezz said:

Just saw it and I'm pretty pissed off about it TBH. Asking for opinions with no solid info to go on as to how it will be implemented or the costs (the club has the detailed information from the SPFL already) with 24 hours notice (and less than a week before the actual vote) is not a real consultation in any sense of the word. Right from the beginning of the fan ownership discussion, I hated the very idea that supporters would be asked about regular day-to-day stuff but I've always been of the opinion that when major changes that affect us all come up that the club should have the green light from the "owners" before they decide - this shoots that naïve idea in a ditch.

If you genuinely want to take supporters views into account, you ask the question early and have a proper dialogue. If you want to tick the box that you've asked, you ask them at the last minute and move on and do what you wanted to do all along.

This is the biggest change to the matchday experience in decades and I genuinely thought that we were past the high-handed thing where it's decided behind the doors of the SPFL boardroom and we can just fucking put up with it.

I personally don't want VAR but I'm more than happy for it to happen if I thought there was a majority in favour (either at our club or generally) but we will never know as no-one has meaningfully asked. 

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

If you genuinely want to take supporters views into account, you ask the question early and have a proper dialogue. If you want to tick the box that you've asked, you ask them at the last minute and move on and do what you wanted to do all along.

This is the biggest change to the matchday experience in decades and I genuinely thought that we were past the high-handed thing where it's decided behind the doors of the SPFL boardroom and we can just fucking put up with it.

I personally don't want VAR but I'm more than happy for it to happen if I thought there was a majority in favour (either at our club or generally) but we will never know as no-one has meaningfully asked. 

This 100% - and I said as much in my email to the Society.  

I'm pretty strongly against the introduction of VAR due to its impact on the match-going experience but if its what the majority vote for then fair enough. As you say, its the biggest change in watching live football that I can think of in my 25-odd years of attending games so it would be nice to feel that the fans, as key stakeholders and essential financial contributors to the game in Scotland, had been fully consulted on it's potential introduction but it doesn't appear to have been the case at Motherwell or any other clubs as far as I can see.  

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

I'm pretty strongly against the introduction of VAR due to its impact on the match-going experience but if its what the majority vote for then fair enough.   

Almost entirely my email, this, aye. 

Scottish football is a live event you attend, and I support that. We aren't a TV event, so why are we going for TV product things which will operate to the detriment of the match day experience?

Agree they should have included some of the info...terms of use, costs etc. And the timing seems unnecessarily tight - they've known about the April 19 vote for ages - but given they're after an indicative aye/naw/maybe and not a thesis I don't think that's such a big deal. If you care enough to reply you'll probably find the five minutes needed to do so easily enough.

FWIW I'm not certain it'll go through given it needs a 9-3 vote...if the fan-owned clubs do listen to their support (a big if I know) I think each of those votes are 50-50. You then only need one or two others to say it costs too much and it's sunk.

15 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

FWIW I'm not certain it'll go through given it needs a 9-3 vote...if the fan-owned clubs do listen to their support (a big if I know) I think each of those votes are 50-50. You then only need one or two others to say it costs too much and it's sunk.

I was quite tickled at Hibs immediately coming out in support with their fans subsequently going nuts. 

59 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Almost entirely my email, this, aye. 

Scottish football is a live event you attend, and I support that. We aren't a TV event, so why are we going for TV product things which will operate to the detriment of the match day experience?

Almost word for word what my email said. Given how reliant clubs are on fans paying their for season tickets and PATG money each year, it's a hell of a risk to introduce something that makes the experience significantly worse for a significant chunk of your revenue base. 

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I was quite tickled at Hibs immediately coming out in support with their fans subsequently going nuts. 

Very on brand for them to be fair. 

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I obviously remember he played for us but cannot really remember his performance, I’ve blanked the memory of him.

I think the test would be if he is any better than Mugabi up front for the last 10 minutes at Almondvale..

Edited by ropy

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

How was Tyler Magloire with you lot? Allegedly Well and Buddies interested in signing him in the summer.

Already discussed on the previous page and at the top of this one but he's an absolutely textbook Stephen Robinson signing.

Excuse me quoting myself...

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I could maybe see it if O'Connor decides he's more likely to get first team games elsewhere or we're not offering him anything? Magloire's only a year older but has actually had a run of sorts at this level. I don't see him starting ahead of Sol, Bevis, Ojala or even Lamie (if he sticks around).

Everything else really points to it being a Robinson thing. I imagine he landed here from a big list Robinson had before he resigned. Given Alexander was only just in the door I doubt anyone signed in that window was a Grezza pick and he ended up at Northampton after that with Foyle having been HoR for them.

Also "fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game" sounds very famililar.

Edited by capt_oats

53 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

How was Tyler Magloire with you lot? Allegedly Well and Buddies interested in signing him in the summer.

Excellent at running very fast. Anything else not so much.

In fairness he settled down a bit after a couple of absolute bombscare games to start but never really shook the label.. He'd definitely be a project rather than immediate first pick.