Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I’d no idea that big Mitch was Ajax assistant manager.

Is he the one that got away?

Maybe, maybe not. As we know ourselves, great assistants don't necessarily make great managers, and his record hasn't been stunning at the clubs he has managed/head-coached.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

32 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Blackburn Rovers man emerging as target for Scottish Premiership duo

Wonder what Eddie Nolan and Harry Smith are up to these days. 

Big Harry was actually doing pretty well at Orient earlier in the season. He's on 15 goals in all competitions this season. Fair play to him.

The Magloire thing is interesting in so much as he's been at Northampton on loan since January. Martin Foyle was their HoR after he left us then ditched them to follow Robinson to Morecambe.

So Foyle was our HoR when he signed for us, had been at Northampton prior to him signing there and now St Mirren are being quoted with an interest...

Also...

1561785348_ScreenShot2022-04-13at11_32_17.thumb.png.a5f3d08acea2a6c4cf7c4869b9096dfc.png

Edited by capt_oats

I've just remembered that the whole bit about us apparently being interested last year came from a local paper taking a flier on an Alexander press conference...we subsequently signed Kelly permanently rather than the bold Tyler.

1198167459_ScreenShot2022-04-13at13_11_58.thumb.png.7d4a0d0a94c29264cfe89ca6f06bb32d.png

Edited by capt_oats

Was Magloire that bad? I don't exactly see where he fits into our current CB options but I can see why someone might take a punt on him because he's fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game.

I remember at the time thinking he would maybe make a better fullback.

39 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Was Magloire that bad? I don't exactly see where he fits into our current CB options but I can see why someone might take a punt on him because he's fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game.

I remember at the time thinking he would maybe make a better fullback.

I could maybe see it if O'Connor decides he's more likely to get first team games elsewhere or we're not offering him anything? Magloire's only a year older but has actually had a run of sorts at this level. I don't see him starting ahead of Sol, Bevis, Ojala or even Lamie (if he sticks around).

Everything else really points to it being a Robinson thing. I imagine he landed here from a big list Robinson had before he resigned. Given Alexander was only just in the door I doubt anyone signed in that window was a Grezza pick and he ended up at Northampton after that with Foyle having been HoR for them.

Also "fucking rapid and hope they can develop the rest of his game" sounds very famililar.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Never rated these types of deals tbh. Same with hibs letting folk in for a fiver, or the various "bring a mate" and other jibberish Boyle tried. Rovers ran cheap tickets a few years ago on the basis that if x thousand folk showed up they'd stay cheap, it lasted about 3 weeks. I understand the theory that "they'll come along once and keep coming!" but there's...almost no evidence for this, anywhere?

Similarly, cutting prices randomly devalues season tickets of folk who have committed to come every week. 

If folk won't come and support their team when they're in the mire as much as Dundee are, then you probably need to spend some time figuring out why that is and fix it long term... which we're pretty good at.

I'll disagree with you on that one. You're incorrectly putting the emphasis on repeat business over just a bit of short term gain which this would offer.

The vast majority of our season ticket holders seem content with contributing to the future financial planning of the club and few consider the PPG. If you missed 3 games this year though holiday, work and another though isolating, your season ticket offers no financial benefit. Also this year when tickets were free 200 odd still paid their due's.

It wasn't suggested for longevity, we're about to start a 2 month break from football so no momentum will be gained. It was merely to get a few more in for two games.

Any walk up Dundee fans now have a wee help in the pocket and more incentive to make both games rather than one or another. Nothing deeper than that.