Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

39 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Keeper had nothing to do other than one smart take from a cut back. He 'looks' like a goalie though, tall and well built without being gangly and out of control a la Chapman. But judging him on today totally pointless.

Johnston looked fine, certainly not out of place by any means, though Carroll was more notable in getting forward.

Cheers.

With the goalkeeper I just thought it was interesting that we actually took a look at him rather than him being someone who's just up and we'd maybe see what he's like in training then send him on his way.

Similarly, given we played SOD in every minute of the Betfred group games last season rather than give Johnston a run I guess it's a positive he got a start - he's obviously got a season of games with QoS under his belt since this time last year like.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cheers.

With the goalkeeper I just thought it was interesting that we actually took a look at him rather than him being someone who's just up and we'd maybe see what he's like in training then send him on his way.

Similarly, given we played SOD in every minute of the Betfred group games last season rather than give Johnston a run I guess it's a positive he got a start.

Re the gk, I was surprised we released Morrison (or maybe he rejected us) because while we can never have a back-up approaching Kelly's level, relying on Fox - who hasn't played regularly in years, had a serious injury etc - should anything happen seems to be reckless rather than calculated risk to me. Whether this guy just happened to be available or we're actively looking for someone I don't know, but I'd be happy to insure ourselves a little there first squad wise and leave Connolly to focus on game time with the kids.

On SOD, I found it unusual we didn't give him any kind of run today but you'd really hope lessons were learned from last season when we rushed him back post-Euros into the LC. We obviously can't 100% say that was cause and effect of a largely diabolical season but given SOD was again fannying around internationally till mid-June, I'm very happy we're easing him in now.

That was very very much a friendly. 

Minutes in the legs and not tested much at all.

Kelly and the Trialist goalie had no saves to make. Agree with what was said above about the Trialist. Looks like a goalie anyway

Johnstone did everything that was asked but didn't get forward at all. I'd say he looks like he's a way to go yet from being the answer but I'd be happy to see him get games.

Lamie, Bevis and Sol all did...fine. A few sillykment between them too.

Carrol looked decent. 

Midfield of Barry, Slattery and Spittal worked well for what the game was.  All looking for the ball and all making stuff happen to greater or lesser extents I thought

Shields and Efford did fine. Looked the same as last year. Morris looks tidy and the ball and pretty nippy. But we definitely lacked a striker.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Re the gk, I was surprised we released Morrison (or maybe he rejected us) because while we can never have a back-up approaching Kelly's level, relying on Fox - who hasn't played regularly in years, had a serious injury etc - should anything happen seems to be reckless rather than calculated risk to me. Whether this guy just happened to be available or we're actively looking for someone I don't know, but I'd be happy to insure ourselves a little there first squad wise and leave Connolly to focus on game time with the kids.

On SOD, I found it unusual we didn't give him any kind of run today but you'd really hope lessons were learned from last season when we rushed him back post-Euros into the LC. We obviously can't 100% say that was cause and effect of a largely diabolical season but given SOD was again fannying around internationally till mid-June, I'm very happy we're easing him in now.

Aye, for me it's a situation where 3 goalkeepers isn't essential but it's definitely desirable - for exactly the reasons you mention.

Morrison was quoted last year as saying that he wanted/needed games. I don't know if he was injured in the first half of last season but he didn't get his loan until the 2nd half of the season. In that respect it wasn't a massive surprise he left - it's one of those that's no one's fault, it's just unlikely that we're going to be in a position to give a GK in his early 20s a run unless he's the 2nd coming of Donnarumma.

The Motherwell prospect believes the QPR keeper is a great example of what loans can achieve: “We will see in the summer what the plan is for me at Motherwell, whether that’s going out on loan again or not. Graham Alexander (Motherwell manager) hasn’t been in very long so I haven’t spoken to him too much.

“But he knows I have got another year left on my contract. He knows I need to play games. I have been really lucky. Liam Kelly has come through the same path as I have, going out on loan and getting games. It’s brilliant to see that this path works out, going out on loan and catching the eye for Premiership level. Liam is a great goalkeeper and a great guy.”

Link

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Was that our tiny Tim forward?

Just looked him up, Tony Weston. Didn't realise he was on loan from rangers so I'm taking the compliment back. He was absolutely shite today. 

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The idea of going into Sligo without KVV gives me the fear. Not that he's Mr Consistency but if he's not fit for Thursday I'll get massive banana skin vibes.

He ended last season as a second half sub, bring him on if we need him.

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

Mighty Joe scores again. For someone who is seemingly shite he does score a few goals emoji122.pngemoji122.png

I stand by my prediction that he'll get at least 10 this season, and won't actually mean a single one.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The idea of going into Sligo without KVV gives me the fear. Not that he's Mr Consistency but if he's not fit for Thursday I'll get massive banana skin vibes.

He'll be fit no bother. Alexander was making out like he didn't travel to Firhill but he was down in the dugout area with his training gear minus the fitba boots.

35 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

I swear that group of fans on twitter get worse every day. God help Burrows and his replies tonight 😆

Well there is a new feature on twitter to mute all  notifications from your tweets. I guess That will be used a lot now.

32 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

image.png.47d5ad1d014620a329499d8f479a841f.png

Who would have known we would have had a potentially shite draw. Kazakhstan, Turkey or Macedonia 😂. Could have been Portugal, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria etc etc. 

Pray for Sparta Prague but only a 1 in 4 chance of that coming off. 

Not remotely funny anymore. Thank f*ck I am going to Sligo. 

I do note however the Macedonian side are the lowest ranked seeds if that is any consolation. My money is on Kazakhstan 😂

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

image.png.47d5ad1d014620a329499d8f479a841f.png

Looking at that the only name that stands out is Sparta Prague (13.500). But let's remember due to the nature of the UEFA awards co-efficient points Lincoln Red Imps have the same as us.

Upon first look Turkey gives you the fear as its is going through a phase where the big three teams are all in turmoil as explained here. Doesn't dispute even the lesser teams have access to decent money for squads due to the crowd sizes and TV audience in a country of 85 million. Istanbul's co-efficient 25.000.

Here's a video worth a look that I mentioned around the Woolery move:

Poland give you the fear because of the perceived success of their national team and again the size of the country but Rakow are 3.175, that seems too low.

In the big scheme of things not a bad draw unless we get the 1 in 2 chance of Prague or Istanbul/Israel (4.875). Astana have oil money and is an arse to get to. Barring a giant killing, the best tie for progression is Valmiera vs Shkendija (Tetovo on Bert's site).

3.175 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raków_Częstochowa

20.500 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Astana

13.500 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Sparta_Prague

5.450 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_FK

2.000 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmiera_FC

9.000 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KF_Shkëndija

25.000 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/İstanbul_Başakşehir_F.K.

4.875 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabi_Netanya_F.C.

Edited by Kapowzer