Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

We’ve not won since October? FFS. I knew it was bad but we really are in fucking trouble. 

In fairness, there was the World Cup break so we've only played 8 games since our last win.

Of those we've lost 4 (Hearts at Tynecastle, Celtic at FP, **** at Ibrox and Hibs at FP) none of those are exactly surprises although the circumstances of at least 2 were a boot in the baws.

We've drawn against St Johnstone, Killie, Livi and County having been up in 2 of those.

To @Al B's point the other games we've lost in that run of 17 have been:

Killie (a), Hearts (a), Celtic (a), Hibs (a), **** (h), Aberdeen (h).

Again, without being overly happy-clappy only Killie (a) stands out there as a surprise.

The two results against Hibs are really fucking annoying given how shite they are but given our general record against them it's hardly a shock.

I think most of us looked at that run of fixtures October - November as being particularly shite but when it's come to this run of games against our peer group we've shot ourselves in the foot by not winning the games we've been up in albeit equally we've not lost.

I've said it a lot on here but we're definitely fixable it's whether Hammell has the tools and the inclination to sort it that's the question for me.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Had the misfortune to choose your game out of the 3pm ko.  Worst team I’ve seen this year by an absolute mile.  No idea what tactics you’re using but it ain’t working.  Stick on for relegation 

Wouldn't expect you to understand our intricate formation and tactics on one viewing. I've seen us about 15 times and I've still not got a fucking clue.

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

Wouldn't expect you to understand our intricate formation and tactics on one viewing. I've seen us about 15 times and I've still not got a fucking clue.

So who’s to blame? Manager? Board? Scout? Players? 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Is there a rule that says that after a throw in the ball must be returned to the thrower?

Yes. I believe we signed that contract six weeks after the last time Arnott would dummy the throw in, spin round the other side then collect the lay off from Coyne. We've not found a Motherwell man with a throw-in since.

8 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

I think we can all agree it's Ricki Lamie. 

16 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Had the misfortune to choose your game out of the 3pm ko.  Worst team I’ve seen this year by an absolute mile.  No idea what tactics you’re using but it ain’t working.  Stick on for relegation 

You should be concerned as 5 or 6 of the players you watched today will be the spine of your team in 3 years.

42 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

All stems from the absolute shitshow that Alexander left behind. It's mind-boggling how much he managed to f**k the entire place in a very short period of time. His stats and league placings look good, but the reality is that he was a charlatan, the board bought into his 'vision', and its done damage that will take years to fix.

We have a very poor squad which has been depleted further by injuries, but there are no excuses for the shambolic, schoolboy goals we lose every single week. Everyone from the board and management, to the scouts and players on the park need to start taking accountability asap as we're right in the shitter and it's getting grimmer by the week.

Edited by 'WellDel

Things are bad when a St Mirren fan tells us we are shite. Although I think he is fishing just a little. 

Given the conditions I actually thought it was a half decent game. A point about right in the end.

In terms of plus points I think pass marks go to McKinstry, Kelly and Johnstone. I have been critical of Kelly these past few weeks but he pulled out two decent stops to prevent us going behind. McKinstry is such a threat. Yes he makes his fair share of mistakes but he is a real goal threat  and I would be starting him every week. Was impressed with young Max especially second half when he got down the John Hunter stand side a few times. 

Thought Ollie was OK. Did nothing great and nothing disastrous but a rather underwhelming debut, although in the conditions u could cut him some slack. As for Mandron I was quite impressed. His touch was excellent and he made some nice wee passes on the move under pressure. Look forward to seeing more of him. Especially as Van Veen had yet another off day. He just seemed so laboured and disinterested for the most part. 

Another negative was yet another soft as shite goal coming from another cluster f**k from tweedledee and tweedledum. As everyone is quite rightly mentioning. Is Blaney that bad he cannot get an opportunity ahead of either Lamie or Sol. Hopefully he makes his debut next week in the cup.

Wonder what the script is with Penney ? And no sign of SODs even on the bench. Is he injured ? If not I assume he must be on his way. 

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

The nuanced answer is probably: all of the above.

Hammell has got some things right, we’ve scored more goals than teams currently higher in the league, St Mirren for example, but we’re constantly shooting ourselves in the foot with shambolic defending that the coaching staff seem completely unable to address.

We’ve only lost 3 domestic games this season by more than 1 goal (Hearts at Fir Park, Celtic in the LC and the **** at Ibrox) it’s been fine margins in terms of results.

As I mentioned in a post above we’ve been letting ourselves down recently in games against our peer group. Failing to win when up against Killie and today has cost us 4 points which would have seen us bounced up the table a bit but we drew instead.

The board aren’t blameless here either in that there was speculation over summer that they were holding back support for Alexander because the jury was out (understandably given his record Jan 22 - May 22) the result was they neither backed him or sacked him and it left us scrambling about once he finally got his jotters.

The feeling was that we had consciously decided we wanted to trim the squad down after years of having fairly bloated numbers on Robinson’s watch and we wanted to focus on creating more of a ‘pathway’ we’ve seen a bunch of injuries and for most of the season we’ve been asking the same 14 players to play week in, week out regardless of form or health. Blair Spittal was playing with cracked ribs at one point.

That’s before you get into 2 of Hammell’s 4 key signings barely making it on to the park due to injury.

Ultimately though @Desp calls it - Ricki Lamie he’s Jedi mind tricked folk at the club into thinking he’s a player to build a defence around and we made him our vice captain. He’s absolutely everything that’s wrong with us on the park at the minute.

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Steve Johnson from Bellshill would've been emptied in the summer.

We cannot continue with these centre half's, they're a fucking catastrophe week in week out.

Aye I can't watch them two f**k about again. Get Blaney in regardless. Changes need made.

4 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Hammell said in an interview after the game he’d have to move a body out for everyone that comes in from now on due to the financial situation. 

We're so fucked if that's the case, which I suspect will be considering budgets n such.

Watching Stuart Kettlewell as the pundit on our game there had a very very weird vibe about it. Like everyone, including him, was completely unaware that he's part of our coaching staff.

Edited by Al B

13 minutes ago, Al B said:

Watching Stuart Kettlewell as the pundit on our game there had a very very weird vibe about it. Like everyone, including him, was completely unaware that he's part of our coaching staff.

I didn't see his punditing but a heavy bit of pedantry from me; is he actually part of our coaching staff? Like, I know he's Lead Development Coach but does he have anything to do with the first team?

He doesn't appear on the coaching staff tab on the official although there's every chance that's just not been updated. I don't seem to remember seeing him in any of the #content from the training ground either.

I know the coaches we've had in that position previously have had involvement with the first team eg: Craigan, Ross but looking at the news story that accompanied him getting the job it says he's specifically working with the Youth teams.

The 'specifically' seems erm, specific:

"Stuart Kettlewell is our new lead development coach.

The former Ross County boss, 38, takes up his new post today working specifically with our Development and Under 18s teams."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Lamie's header back for the VAR check so reminiscent of Sligo almost precisely at the same spot on the park, putting pressure on Kelly rather than doing the first lesson on first day at centre half school, if you're not Franco Baresi, boot it to f**k.

He was instrumental in putting a ball out for a corner when three Ross County players were unmarked in the box, as much as the pairing is chronic so is the extra bodies drafted in at different passages of play.

Then their equaliser, more half hearted and lame than anything else, total pre season friendly stuff.

I don't know when some of you are going to change with Hammell. The solution today was to put two sitting midfielders in front of the central defence rather than Goss on his tod. I mean is that where the f**k we are?

Fat Sally had an illustrious career with the hunnorum but was found out managing beyond League 1. Issue is you could make allowances for a career poacher overlooking defensive issues. But here we are with a 550 game LB scratching his head every bloody week. Alexander would have had Blaney on before the net bulged from McKinstry's goal ..... what does not compute with Hammy?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

9 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Lamie's header back for the VAR check so reminiscent of Sligo almost precisely at the same spot on the park, putting pressure on Kelly rather than doing the first lesson on first day at centre half school, if you're not Franco Baresi, boot it to f**k.

He was instrumental in putting a ball out for a corner when three Ross County players were unmarked in the box, as much as the pairing is chronic so is the extra bodies drafted in at different passages of play.

Then their equaliser, more half hearted and lame than anything else, total pre season friendly stuff.

I don't know when some of you are going to change with Hammell. The solution today was to put two sitting midfielders in front of the central defence rather than Goss on his tod. I mean is that where the f**k we are?

Fat Sally had an illustrious career with the hunnorum but was found out managing beyond League 1. Issue is you could make allowances for a career poacher overlooking defensive issues. But here we are with a 550 game LB scratching his head every bloody week. Alexander would have had Blaney on before the net bulged from McKinstry's goal ..... what does not compute with Hammy?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

I don't know what's been seen of Blaney on the training pitch, but if he can't command a chance in the current state of affairs, I'm guessing it's not good. Bevis on crutches at the minute would be as good an option as Sol... and I'm far from Mugabi's biggest fan when he's fully match fit.

Edited by 'WellDel

I'm not on the Hammell Out bus but I do think he needs to get a grip. Every single week without fail we concede a goal that would be a riddy for an amateur side and we don't seem to be doing anything to address it. Johansen is a liability and has maybe the worst positional sense of any defender I can remember. 

I'm not opposed to McGinn as a 6 but we are in dire need of a body in there. Goss was miles off it, Spittal's lost at the best of times and slinging Maguire on doesn't help at all. 

Overall I'd be absolutely astounded if we're not in the bottom 2 come May.

10 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Hammell said in an interview after the game he’d have to move a body out for everyone that comes in from now on due to the financial situation. 

If that’s the case then why the f**k did he sign a striker and winger first?
Of course we needed reinforcements up front, but (potentially) at the expense of defensive midfielder/centre backs?Unforgivable.

I’ve said a few times, I really hope Hammell succeeds but, with each passing week of shit show defensive performances, I have increasing doubts he will. 

Lamie and Sol both at fault for yesterday's shambles of a goal it has to be said. Lamie well out and caught under the ball, Sol dragged to Lamie's space and then misses it. 

We can't sack both of them for Arbroath but one needs to go or we need to change to a 3 to support them.

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Alexander would have had Blaney on before the net bulged from McKinstry's goal ..... what does not compute with Hammy?

...and we would all have moaned about the shite and boring tactics of Alexander shutting up shop with 20+ mins to go.

I get what you are saying but the answer is somewhere in the middle. Someone called for that yesterday near me and I 100% didn't want us to shut up shop at that point as I reckoned a daft mistake while sitting in would mean we would be more likely to concede. I actually thought we looked likely to go on and score again more than anything. 

The change to 4-2-3-1 works for me, which we've seen in a few games. But it's really only marginally.

I'm like a broken record but I genuinely don't think the 2 central defenders we have can play in a 2 together. Confidence is totally shot and there is no understanding between them.

Edited by eliphas

Possibly a controversial opinion on this forum but it’s possible to be wasteful up front, shambolic at the back and be lacking in leaders across the park, without being a shower of useless spineless c***s.

Fully agree with what has been said umpteen times before about someone in the mould of Hartley next to Lamie/Sol. That would to an extent eradicate a lot of the f**k ups we gift opposition each week and make us harder to beat. I think it’s unfair to start throwing terms like spineless shitebags about though. A quarter of our points this season (albeit only 5) have been gained from losing positions. We were close to snatching points from the jaws of defeat against Aberdeen (last minute lack of VAR), Hearts (last minute penalty) and Hibs (Porteous wipeout). We’ve rallied and scored late on to limit both OF sides to one goal victories. The only times we’ve dropped points from winning positions this season have been yesterday through an amateurish lapse in concentration, and against Killie where - ignoring we were 2 up against ten men - conceded to a 30 yard screamer in the top bin. If we had a team of shitebags none of the above would’ve happened.

Plenty of room for improvement, but I’m still confident Hammy will get a tune out of this squad with a few key additions. I thought both of the new guys looked decent enough yesterday as far as debuts in storm conditions go, and was pleased with young Max’s performance on the whole. I’d be surprised if Hammell didn’t know the areas most needing improvement, much easier to identify that than to sign the players in January I imagine.