Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On St Mirren - It's hardly a surprise that a club the same size as us will have a better team than us sometimes - I don't think there's any great mystery to that. Killie have, St Johnstone have and St Mirren have right now  - and obviously our better teams over the years have been in the same position. 

There's definitely a cyclical thing with our size of club and it would be hard to argue that we are at the top of the cycle at the moment and I remain mystified that long term supporters act like it's a surprise when it happens.

On Sol - nice fellow, *great* yellow leather gloves, in the end a bit of a limited centre half (although it feels like his form/fitness tailed off over time)

Quite liked big Sol, thought we won a watch initially with the Ojala partnership before injuries to both occurred. Good luck to the guy, was always the first over at full time whether we won, lost and drew. Nevertheless it's nice to get some dosh for the transfer, hopefully this is the start of plenty movement inwards.

I think it's hard to find too much fault with any of Hammell's incomings/outgoings on paper. It's just annoying that we're apparently too skint to attract most of our main targets and the ones we do sign tend to fall apart after a week.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

They've spent a lot of money and are paying a good bit more in wages for a lot of their new signings. Not sustainable but a decent risk to take.

Watt was never coming to us. 

They have pretty much become Motherwell of a year or two ago. And we have pretty much become St Mirren from a year or two ago. They have definitely splashed the cash a little more this season for a top 6 push. Just taken in £500k so will help balance the books. 

Wish Sol the best of luck. Limited footballer but always gave his all. 

We need a left back, midfielder with bite, a CB that is not utter guff and probably another forward now Shields has gone out on loan.

4 players which we need to get right. 3 as a minimum. Anything less and it will be full on panic mode 🤯

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think it's hard to find too much fault with any of Hammell's incomings/outgoings on paper. It's just annoying that we're apparently too skint to attract most of out main targets and the ones we do sign tend to fall apart after a week.

That's very hard to judge...do you blame him for Moult/Aarons, say? Penney leaving was obviously not out of the blue, if there's no replacement it's a bit dodgy.

I'm not saying he's been terrible at this part but I'm not quite convinced he gets a pass either. Finding good players within budget is a huge part of his job, hard as it is.

On a side note, the fact that the league continue to schedule games on or the day after the transfer window shuts is mind boggling. 

They know Scottish clubs are waiting on other clubs to do deals last minute so the best scenario now for tomorrow is we are without the likes of Sol, Shields and maybe SOD, and can't replace them as the new boys have only pitched up today (at best) or more likely tomorrow.

A few people may get their 'surely the young lads are better' shouts come true if it all doesn't pan out as planned!

Edited by eliphas

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

They have pretty much become Motherwell of a year or two ago. And we have pretty much become St Mirren from a year or two ago. They have definitely splashed the cash a little more this season for a top 6 push. Just taken in £500k so will help balance the books. 

Wish Sol the best of luck. Limited footballer but always gave his all. 

We need a left back, midfielder with bite, a CB that is not utter guff and probably another forward now Shields has gone out on loan.

4 players which we need to get right. 3 as a minimum. Anything less and it will be full on panic mode 🤯

I think you'd best get your Panic-Mode-Panty-Liners in place, because it feels awfully late in the day to be signing 3 players who aren't shite, and who haven't even popped up on the radar.

Only just checked in on this thread, has anyone noticed Kyle Lafferty has been freed by Killie?   We wouldn't, would we???

I just sat and listened to Burrows and McMahon at the AGM talking about selling Motherwell as an ethical club to get investment - signing a bigot would *kind of* go against that I think (unless we're after the Orange Pound)

1 minute ago, steelmen said:

so they stand by him through his suspension and then dump him? you'd have thought they would have done it at the start of the suspension.

can't stand him and we have other areas that desperately need players so its a pass from me.

I'm wondering if Mandron's injury is serious enough that yes, another forward might still be needed.
(For the record I'm ok with the "We'll give you a goal, but we'll grab 2 or 3 ourselves" approach, over buying better defenders.   It's more fun)

4 minutes ago, steelmen said:

so they stand by him through his suspension and then dump him? you'd have thought they would have done it at the start of the suspension.

can't stand him and we have other areas that desperately need players so its a pass from me.

I would have taken Tony Watt back. If it comes to survival I would take pretty much anyone (apart from Goodwillie) that would help us avoid relegation. 

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I just sat and listened to Burrows and McMahon at the AGM talking about selling Motherwell as an ethical club to get investment - signing a bigot would *kind of* go against that I think (unless we're after the Orange Pound)

Aye, nervous times and all but let's keep some self-respect here.