Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

KVV is good. He can drop out of games and his general demeanor makes him look like he's uninterested, but I don't think he's lazy.

My problem with him is that he doesn't always release the ball to others, but he seems to be more open minded in a front two with obika. Maybe he needs to work with the recruitment guys to help identify people he likes 🙂 

Im happy to keep him for as long as possible, but he definitely needs competition so that we don't have to send him out there with his arm hanging off. 

Edited by rowsdower

32 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

We have some amount of ex pros sons on the books these days, Max Johnston (Allan Johnston), Lennon Miller (Lee Miller), Jevan Beattie (Craig Beattie) and to a lesser extent Stuart McKinstry's auld man was an ex well youth player.

Nothing like making people feel old. I don’t quite remember Allan Johnston breaking through but certainly do Lee Miller and Craig Beattie. Think Beattie actually scored a last minute equalizer/winner in a 4-3 or 4-4 Well Celtic game on the opening day of a season back in the day.

Just now, Sortmeout said:

Nothing like making people feel old. I don’t quite remember Allan Johnston breaking through but certainly do Lee Miller and Craig Beattie. Think Beattie actually scored a last minute equalizer/winner in a 4-3 or 4-4 Well Celtic game on the opening day of a season back in the day.

He did indeed.  Motherwell went from 1-3 down to 4-3 up, only for Beattie to score an injury time equaliser.  We actually played Celtic two league games in a row at Fir Park.  The last day of the 2004/05 season (lol) and then the opener of the 2005/06 season, just after Celtic had been humped in Bratislava.

If SK is to get the job let him bring in his own coaching staff preferably assistant and coach with experience let’s not make the same mistake of having 2 rookies run the show. Let clarkson keep going with his new role. 

Happy with SK to sign as manager until the end of the season with a view to next season granted he does well and keeps us up convincingly.

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

He's on track to be our top scorer since.. 2014? I think?

I canny mind who else it is that keeps asking, but honestly what else do folk want?!

It's got to me that you're referring to, Even during his dry spells when folk were slamming him I was baffled with what the f**k folk wanted.
@Swello put it best, few posts back.

49 minutes ago, ropy said:

I don’t think the assist stat is right, he recently passed to Tierney for a goal and there was chat about his recent 3 assists then I looked up the stat and it said 1.  He also made the mistake of rolling one in front of Connor Shields to see it skied over the bar, so the attempt to assist is there.

We would have to watch the games back to get some accurate figures or perhaps people have better memories than me.

907C9A95-00A6-4A88-A0AE-06EE3B8034FE.png

Yeah I think we both used Transfermarkt then Ropy, the Hearts game wasn't updated so it makes it two on their stats.

I looked at Moult as he was on 18 in 15/16 and 16/17 which is kinda where you expect Kev to be at season end.

In 15/16 - 3x penalties, 3 scored against lower league opposition, brace vs Celtic and brace vs Partick (a penalty in each), 5 league assists, 1 cup assist (42 games, played in every one)

In 16/17 = 2x penalties, 2 scored against lower league opposition, scored 4 vs Accies and a brace vs Celtic, 7 league assists, 2 cup assists (44 games, featured in 34)

Kev's last two performances were both great and that is really encouraging. Suppose its a mixture of personal pride, improved instructions and a good foil for him in Obika rather than being rather forlorn at times on his tod.

40 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Kev's last two performances were both great and that is really encouraging. Suppose its a mixture of personal pride, improved instructions and a good foil for him in Obika rather than being rather forlorn at times on his tod.

I don't think this should be underestimated, really. He's basically halved the amount of ground he's expected to cover and as such is immediately more effective.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I don’t think the assist stat is right, he recently passed to Tierney for a goal and there was chat about his recent 3 assists then I looked up the stat and it said 1.  He also made the mistake of rolling one in front of Connor Shields to see it skied over the bar, so the attempt to assist is there.

We would have to watch the games back to get some accurate figures or perhaps people have better memories than me.

907C9A95-00A6-4A88-A0AE-06EE3B8034FE.png

I've not gone to the extent of watching any games back but he definitely laid the ball on a plate for McKinstry to score against County. 

2 hours ago, Cloontang said:

We have some amount of ex pros sons on the books these days, Max Johnston (Allan Johnston), Lennon Miller (Lee Miller), Jevan Beattie (Craig Beattie) and to a lesser extent Stuart McKinstry's auld man was an ex well youth player.

As sad as it sounds the first three mentioned will likely be hoovered up soon by other clubs down south, you would hope they would stay for the sake of their development but we have been down this road many times.

In fairness, Miller is contracted until 2025 so there's a chance we might see him at some point depending on what the script is with his injury atm.

I’ve seen a lot of folk talking about the potential for Hammell coming back and taking up his old role? 

Does anyone genuinely think this is a good idea? Not having a dog, just putting it out there for chat purposes. Personally I don’t. 

With the circumstances of his sacking and the subsequent upturn in form and performances, could this potentially upset the mojo? If he came back would he blame the senior players?

What would happen if we had to sack SK, could Hammell take back over as interim? 

Just interesting to hear people’s thoughts and what the benefits of him maybe returning would be? 

Hammell going back to his old job would be fine. He is absolutely no threat to any future manager. He is not a lingering shadow who is going to take over.

Academy director and First team manager are completely different roles. It is more awkward for Hammell than anything else imo.

If there was ever a situation where we needed an interim manager Hammell could step in but would never be inconsideration for the full time gig. It would be like when Gordon Young had to step in for a couple of games.

The worst assumption that our Board made was that the set of skills that make someone a (reportedly) good Academy Head would somehow magically translate to being a first team manager/coach. The opposite is obviously the case - a bad spell as first team manager says nothing about his ability to pick the academy stuff up again. Maybe one for a quiet re-appointment in a year if Hammy's ego could take it - as it would be a bit embarrassing for anyone even if it was a good move.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I've nothing against it but there would need to be a fair bit of time to let emotions and pride settle.

I'd echo this and @Swello points.

All this Hammy returning to the club stuff needs shelved. He no doubt feels let down by some players and the board didn't give him enough time. I think he had more than enough. We had a mid season hiatus to reset and recharge and we came back as bad as we were, difference was we were facing the winnable matches/teams. The manner in which Raith Rovers papped us was a shanner.

Kettlewell has shown what not being dogmatic about a formation or approach can do for you.

Can't have him turning a corner and bumping into someone for a full on awkward moment. He won't be back at FP anytime soon. Maybe he can move back in to his old role after Kettlewell is poached for winning the Europa Conference League next season and Clarky gets the first team gig .....

9 hours ago, Swello said:

This. KVV gets discouraged when he just spends a whole game chasing 2 central defenders pinging the ball to each other and getting no service but when he's actually in the thick of it, he's effective at our level and he's probably one of these players that opposition supporters rate higher than we do.

I'd definitely say this is the case. My Livi supporting mate @Cptn Hooch is always telling me how much a fan of him he is and would like him at Livi.

I'm a big fan of Kev and would definitely prefer to keep him. Yes he has his faults but I dread to think about where we'd be if it wasn't for his goals this season.